Help with DIY Vape Juice

Discussion in 'E-Liquids & E-Juice, E-Cigarettes' started by Indiehouse, Feb 22, 2019.

1. #1 Indiehouse, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Hey guys, need some advice. I know next to nothing about vaping, but have been smoking herb for around 22 years or so. Not a heavy hitter, just for relaxation and creativity. One hit wonder type.

Anyways, my friend and I made some vape liquid by taking about 2 ounces of flower and about a quart of VG and putting that into an infuser for about an hour. I tried with a Kandypen stick and was able to get vape smoke, but no effect.

I then got a bigger device (Smok) and about 2 or 3 hits off of that and I’m golden. In fact, it’s almost too much.

We didn’t decarb. We debated on it. He read that decarbing is for eating it, and that if you decarb before vaping, it could give you “couch lock”. I don’t want that. I want to function and be creative/artistic.

I would really like to use the Kandypen. I don’t like using the big Smok Prince thing. I don’t want to feel like I’m vaping. The Kandypen is perfect.

How do I get it to work for me? Is it not getting hot enough to activate the THC?

Or is it that the VG is too thick?

My hypothesis is to cut it with PG, making it thinner and more like traditional vape juice. Is that possible at this point? If so, how?

I don’t want to ruin the stuff I have now.

2. [​IMG]

You can thin what you have with
    PG = Propylene Glycol
    PEG = Polyethylene Glycol 200-400

VG = makes good clouds, is soft to inhale, has poor solvent abilities.
    PG and PEG = make low clouds, Harsh to inhale, Much better solvents, Thinner then VG.

Usual mix ratios we take from the Nicotine users as they have it down as they have been at it much longer.
    80% VG
    20% PG or PEG or a blend of the 2 but stay around 20%

Next time don't make so much. A quart is like a lifetime supply. Work in Tablespoon amounts. Don't try and doctor the whole thing at once.

VG is a notoriously poor solvent and I'd be surprised if an hour was enough to draw much out of the Cannabis. Did you keep the weed ? I assumed you strained it from your quart of VG.
    Give more details and I can give better advice. Pictures help, type of infuser used? Whole buds or fine grind?

Either quote my reply or like @BrassNwood to get my attention.

I started small and got a stick much like yours You'll be able to run the current tank on a bigger box. The Kandy style pens just don't have enough battery to be of much use for my needs
    [​IMG]

If you find the Smok tank is using coils faster they you like you can step up to an open coil style RDA

[​IMG]
    :)
    BNW

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Thanks @BrassNwood. When cutting this with PG, do I need to reheat this, or can I just mix it in as is? Is there even any benefit to cutting it with PG?

When you say the Kandypen doesn't have enough battery for you, are you meaning it doesn't get hot enough or just that it doesn't last long enough for you? I've got the Smok Prince stick, but I'd really like to use the Kandypen. It's just more stealth and discreet. I'm not a vaper or anything. I'm trying cannabis vaping to be a little healthier in my cannabis consumption.

I think what my friend did was infused a half ounce at a time, meaning he put a half ounce in with the VG, infused it for 45 mintues, strained, then added a fresh half ounce, etc. I didn't know that VG wasn't the right stuff to use. Sounds like we should have infused with PG then, and could have used a lot less. I think the reasoning behind it is the infuser has a minimum amount of liquid it needs. I think it was the Mighty Fast Herbal Infuser.

4. Also @BrassNwood, I gave my sister-in-law some of this. She told me she used distilled water to cut a little of it with. That doesn't seem right to me. Is there any harm being done by doing that? I don't intend to use distilled water, but wondering if I need to pass on any warning or information to her.

5. Not enough battery life for me but for casual use it's fine.
    Ahh I thought it might be the MFHI unit.

Distilled water is OK as is PGA (pure grain alcohol) Vodka. Everclear 151-190 proof. Some of us drip Tincture into open coil RDAs or add tincture to VG and vape that. Lots of variations are possible.

BNW

6. Thanks, that’s good to know. Do I need to mix the PG into my VG while heating, or can I just mix it in at room temperature? I thought I read somewhere that I had to mix under heat or it would separate.

Is it even worth the trouble? What benefits would there be? Do you think straight VG is too thick for the Kandypen and that’s the reason I’m not getting any effect?

Thanks so much for your advice here. Greatly appreciated.

7. [​IMG]
    Norpro 2273 Deluxe Battery Powered Cordless Mini Hand Mixer/Blender Whipper | eBay
    I use one of these to blend my Vape juice and I do it at room temp. The stainless steel pizza cutter attachment does a great job in a few seconds. Was under 10 dollars if I remember.

Yes pure VG is to thick for the small ports on the Kandypen. Most of the very early nicotine pens were like the Kandypen and had a much higher ratio of PG. Some used pure PG and others were more a 50-50 blend of PG-VG.

BNW

8. Thanks again. Very helpful. I ordered some PG. You think it’d be ok to mix this in a bottle shaking it up by hand? Would that harm anything? Or do I need to buy the mixer? Sorry for the simple question. I just want to be sure I don’t ruin this stuff.

9. Personally I would infuse the weed with PG only.
    Then use at most 50%PG infused with weed and 50%VG. This makes a basic vape juice. PG does actually infuse with any flavors very well, hence why its the only ingredient in vape juice besides the falvor.

Yes I always shake my DIY Vape Juice by hand.

Recap, Get PG and infuse it with weed over low heat for about 1hr at most. By low heat I mean 220f to 240f, this will likely decarb your weed also. Dont let it boil, just a soft simmer.... Mix between 20% up to a max of 50% PG to VG ratio. Shake the hell outta it. Let it be for a day and then Vape away.

Yes it will taste and smell like weed and it will get ya stoned as much as you like.

Sent from my screen to yours!

10. Thanks for the tips! Next time, I will go for PG. Right now, I’m sitting on 1/2 quart of infused PG. Trying to thin it out so that I can use a Kandypen.

11. Only thing that can thin VG is PG, a very small amount of vodka or peg or distilled water also in very small amounts. Like 1ml water to 30ml VG.

Ive done exactly what you are doing now. You will need an atomizer and coils made for 100% VG. Or it will clog or burn.

12. Thanks. I have no idea about this stuff. Good to know. I don’t vape normally, so I’m kinda clueless. I was just looking for a heathier alternative to smoking, as I’m becoming more health conscious as I get older. The Kandypen thing is perfect for me. I don’t have to deal with atomizers and coils and not knowing anything about that. With the Kandypen, I just fill the little container and done. Except it’s not working the 100%VG I have now. So, I’ve got some PG on the way to try and thin it. I will go 80%VG and 20% PG and see how it goes.

13. Understandably no worries.
    I do vape daily, thing never leaves my hand lol 80 vg 20 pg might not be thin enough for that vape pen. For that smok mod and atty that would be great. That vape pen is almost guaranteed to be 50/50. Believe me you dont wanna get a dry hit from your coils. Meaning if your coils dont have enough juice on them. Its horrible man. Just do a 30ml bottle size or 10ml bottle, make it 50/50 load your vapepen and let the coil soak it up. Maybe 15min. Shake the pen around a little too. You are lookin for air bubbles to come out. Try a test vape a small one. Then vape normally. Hope this helps.

14. @BrassNwood @Personalusegrow Are you aware of any health risks associated with vaping PG? I remember one of the main reasons we chose 100% VG was because of the controversy we read associated with vaping PG.

15. PG will dry you out badly. So drink plenty of water if your doing this on the regular.

PG is in almost all water flavored shots to infuse with water, like sports drink flavor shots and its in asthma inhalers and its in many other medications.

Some people do have a sensitivity to it, you would basically feel like its burning your mouth, kinda like a thoat infection kinda feeling. Thats why some people like PEG more. If ya dont like it, dont use it. But it wont actually harm you. Just make ya feel uncomfortable at most.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. As Personalusegrow stated it is more harsh to vape but it a better solvent as is PEG 200-400. The trick is to find a ratio that works in your pen but is still tolerable to vape without excessive harshness and throat irritation.

BNW

17. Man, I am just not having any luck here. I got the PG and mixed just a tiny bit of the 80/20 VG/PG, just enough to fit in the Kandypen Rubi cartridge. I’m getting plenty of vape smoke, and can hear it crackling a little (not as much as the Smok Prince crackles, though). Here I am vaping for 20 minutes and no effect. Maybe a little more relaxed, but I could just be imagining that. I’m about ready to give up on the whole thing and stick to herb. What am I doing wrong here?

18. Are these pens getting hot enough to activate the THC?

19. Post a photo of your pen and tank. For sure tho, if your pen aint hitting around 80 to 100watts likely would need to decarb your weed first. The price will work alot better. Just take less vapes off it and your happy ;)