Help With Diagnosing Insect Pest Problems

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by LudicrousWeed, Aug 3, 2014.

1. I have one main plant that has been growing well and now that it is coming up to the flowering stage I've noticed some insects attacking her. It's minimal damage so far and today is the first I've taken a notice. Although it could have started a week or two ago. I had to carry my plants in thru some blackberry bushes and some of the leaves were snagged. I thought the damage was from that but now I see it has worsened.

First thing I noticed were small webs here and there on some leaves. They were about the size of a dime or smaller. Found a spider or two crawling around. The picture attached has one spider that curled and webbed together a blade. I took a second picture to give a better look but still not clear. It's a pale brown spider about 5mm in size. No damage was related to the webbing and spiders

Second thing I noticed were a few leaves being eaten. The ones in the pic are older ones that were snagged up in bushes but are definitely worse now. The catch concerning me is I found a couple leaves up at the top with the new growth getting eaten up. Also found a couple webs in the nodes of new growth. Same looking web the spider was in that I have been seeing.

I did not notice any signs of spider mites but I wasn't looking too closely for those. I'm about to go have a second closer look. My guess is that there are caterpillars eating away some of the leaves. I couldn't find any tho. Only a couple spiders. I need some help and confirmation on what this could be and advise on how to go about it. Thanks for any of your help

Attached Files:

2. Went to go check again. I'm still not entirely sure what it is. I want to say thrips but it's not showing the same symptoms. There's some small black spots underneath some of the leaves. I only saw them on about 5 leaves. And there was not many spots on the leaves either, only around 10 or so. Not all the leaves that were chowed down on had black spots

Screenshot_2014-08-03-15-12-54.png Screenshot_2014-08-03-15-13-01.png Screenshot_2014-08-03-14-55-49_1.jpg

3. Take a look at neem oil. There are also other organic sprays or stuff You can put in the soil and have the plant suck it up, then it will be in the leaves. I guess it's supposed to make the plant taste nasty to bugs.

I've read about it. It sounds good but some people say it's not enough and can give a foul smell/taste to the buds. I'm just trying to figure which insects I'm dealing with so I know what stuff to look for and buy