~Help with Depression

Discussion in 'General' started by EnergySausage, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Depressed blades, this is the place to voice your problems. I know how hard it is to seek help in real life and how torturous this makes life.
    Beginning roughly around my 2nd last year of school I have been dealing with severe depression. It is by far the most difficult, painful, and utterly crushing experience I have ever faced. I would wish it on no one.

Ask me anything and i'll do my best to help you out.

2. #2 chingotchgook, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    This my first year of college, I'm struggling from a bit of depression... I believe it is mostly drug induced though. You see i picked up a narsty habit of snorting my add medicine back in highschool around sophmore year... at this point im to far in to quit becasue then i can't do any school work what so ever.. so im in a bit of a depressing predicament...

[​IMG]

-discussion of other drugs doesn't fly here

Stylez1877

3. At risk of sounding like every advice giver in the history of ever, its not to late to quit. If you can't deal with quitting the drugs and continuing your work simultaneously, you should consider waiting until your semesters over and quitting then while you have a large break to get your self in check.
    If you don't mind (not sure about the rules here), what meds are you on?

4. ritalin, concerta, adderall and focalin.

5. every time i try to quit i end up getting behind in my work to the point where i say fuck it i gotta start taking them again which instantly leads to me snorting them again. its a vicious unpleasant cycle that i would never wish upon anyone

6. It could be worse.

You could be a starving child in Africa. Yes, I know that sounds funny, but its a reality for many. Whenever life is difficult, appreciate what you have, and realize it could be worse.

I could have been born with a deformity, I could have been born blind, I could have been born retarded, I could have been born deaf, the list goes on and on. If you are healthy and aren't demobilized in any way, appreciate what you have, and quit fucking crying.

I used to suffer from severe depression, I know how it is, but theres more to life than moping around and feeling sorry for yourself. It could be worse. Realize you're pretty fucking lucky to be born into a developed nation with clean water, electricity, heat, and internet. If you're able to get on a computer, life isn't very bad. You have nothing to be depressed about except your own self-inflicted pity.

7. While you do make a decent enough point, it really is completely impossible and unrealistic to place your self in a starving africans (Or any of your other suggested problems) shoes. We can imagine all we want, but we have no way to relate to their situation which means we can't truly understand it.
    Through out my depression i've been told the exact same thing but it makes no difference. When your depressed hearing something like that only makes you feel worse. You know the things your obsessing over aren't important on the grand scale of things and you have it so much better than others, which in turn makes you feel worse.

If you really have suffered from severe depression, one would think you would have a bit more sympathy towards other sufferers.

8. Does anyone know you're having this problem in real life man? If you have any good mates in your classes i recommend (if your comfortable) going to them for some help in guiding you through the course, hell man you don't even need to mention the drugs if you don't want to. Just say your going through a tough time.

9. Good thread, and potentially helpful thread, however, any other drug references are going to get this thread shut down.

10. I have been really depressed lately. I had my wife ask my dad what I should do. He is a nurse on a psych until and deals with this a lot and he has struggled with depression in the past. I didn't want to ask him myself, because I was embarrassed. We found out that I have insurance so I will probably be visiting the doctor soon. What bothers me is that the depression is stemming from no where. I think it has a little bit to do with my brain not producing an adequate amount of dopamine and saratonin. It could be my fault because of my drug experiments. Many drugs will synthesize dopamine which is why you feel euphoric. If the brain begins to realize that another chemical is creating it it will decide it doesn't have to do itself anymore. Either way I have to fix the problem because it makes work hell and it is painful physically in many ways. I get so depressed that I feel like I may vomit. I have so many good things in my life. My wife is sexy and fuck. She treats me so well and shes got some big old tits!! haha sory I never say things like that haha. I pretty much get to buy anything I want and I have tons of friends, but right now I would rather stay home most nights and do nothing. I have lost interest in things I love.

11. Yep I know that feeling man, you just don't care about a thing in the world. Things that would normally spike your interests just don't register any emotion in your head anymore. Considering your fairly content with your life all i can recommend is asking your doc about some anti depressants, which no doubt he will probably recommend. After a few weeks on the AD's you should be feeling better. Good luck man!

12. I've found weed helps me a lot. It's definitely keeping me here. For now...

13. Just don't over do it man, trust me. Sure weed isn't physically addictive, but you can easily abuse it when you're feeling down. I learnt that the hard way, now for the time being i've restricted myself to weekends only.

14. I dont over do it, I never really feel better or worse on different days, but its giving me a whole new better look on life.

It also helps my anxiety and stress, so the good herb is serving me well.

15. Why do people think weed helps with anxiety? Stupid stoners think weed is the miracle cure for everything :rolleyes:

16. #16 badhabit, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
    Because it does help... with mine anyway, maybe not yours :rolleyes:

also, the name calling is cute, but no need for it really :rolleyes:

17. Well im gunnah get some shut eye now blades, peace out.
    First I want to share this picture though. I find it humorous.:D

[​IMG]

18. yeah i've talked to people about it, but in the end im the only one whose going to be able to stop the problem... so it has to really come from me and no one else. I think i just need to get used to the college work load more before i can try to quit. It really doesn't help that im in the engineering school which has a insane amount of calc physics and computer science homework or i wouldn't need to take it as much. Im sure ill figure something out but right now its a bit of a rough time in my life.

19. Lotzo- click that first link in my sig and educate yourself! You are rather uninformed! The PubMed studies on cannabis and anxiety are in the "Anxiolytic Effects" section!

Energy- read these! I don't have the time to give you the post you deserve (gotta go to work), but reading these will help!

“Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.”
    Unbound MEDLINE | Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. PubMed Journal article abstract

Granny’s translation – “The US diet sucks big time and we are fat, undernourished, and crazy because of it. We get WAY too much Omega 6 and not enough Omega 3. Not getting enough Omega 3 can make you crazy because without it, the CB1 cannabinoid receptors in your brain aren’t made right- a chunk that is supposed to be attached, isn’t! Broken receptors give you “impaired emotional behavior”. So we think it’s the low Omega 3 diet is making the US totally nuts!”

Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors (news - 2011) Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors. - Free Online Library

How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood? How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood?

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood (news - 2005) Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

Decreased depression in marijuana users. (full - 2006)
    http://www.doctordeluca.com/Library/WOD/WPS3-MedMj/DecreasedDepressionInMjUsers05.pdf

Granny

20. #20 jimboob, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
    I've found through research and experience that MOST depression is not soley felt due to "chemical imbalances". Yes, there are chemicals in your brain that shift around and make you feel certain ways, but it's all triggered by external happenings.

If you've been depressed for a while, don't sit around and listen to mellow music and do nothing, search deep within yourself and try and find what's reallly wrong and what your really unhappy with in your life.

And don't lie to yourself either. If a significant other is what's making you depressed its time to rethink that relationship. Hate where your living? Start planning to move. Unhappy and unmotivated in school? Maybe your major isn't for you.

depression is your brain telling you that something in your life is wrong and needs to change...

and if your depression is due to social anxiety well then first off tone down any drug use, and second realize that everyone feels nervous, just don't let your nervousness get the better of you. It'll take some time and effort but the more you fight through your nervousness you'll gradually get less nervous and more confident the next time around.

Por ejemplo: There's this chick in one of my classes. She's cute, and i felt some vibes after our first class. Unfortunatly we left class at different times so I didnt get the chance to talk to her while my confidence was high.

The class is once a week, so I had plenty (too much) time to think. I pussied out that class and didnt say anything to her.

Next week i got mad knots in my stomach. Now this is no good cause my nervousness is gonna seem too apparent...but I wasn't going to wait ANOTHER week so I said fuck it and despite feelin so nervous I ran up to her after class and said wassup. Shit was a little akward at first but I just kept the conversation going and afterwords got her name and we both felt more comfortable.

This week I was still kinda nervous, but less so. Did the same thing (ran up to her, she seemed to be walkin extra slow this time lol) And I was still a little nervous but things went more smoothly.Now i'm fine with talkin to this chick

Next week i'm gonna be probably slightly nervous but more confident. I know what this girls about and how to make her laugh and shit. I'll probably invite her to a party that weekend. All cause I stopped pussing out and letting my nervousness get the better of me.

Thats all social anxiety is, letting your nervousness get the better of you. Don't scare yourself into thinking your inferior or messed up from reading up about it online. Just stop being a pussy and go step outside your comfort zone.

hope this makes sense