Help with closet setup (picture)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Sentral, Jan 20, 2010.

1. #1 Sentral, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
    Ok, so I'm planning on growing for the first time, and I've been doing quite a bit of research. However, I have a few questions with my situation. I'm a teen living at home with my parents, so this makes things difficult. I have a really nice closet (see picture) that I think would be decent for growing. I'm planning on buying feminized seeds from Nirvana because I only want to grow ONE plant to start. I'd appreciate if someone could give me an idea of how I should setup my closet for growing. I think the main problem for me would be exhaust and ventilation, because it's a closet and I don't have access to outside air.

I'm also having trouble picking a strain. I need something short, so probably an indica, with a low odor. I'm not too concerned about the yield since it's for personal use. Also I would like something fairly tough cause I'm new and will make mistakes. Something that flowers quickly would be nice too. If anything like this exists that'd be great.

Remember, I'm just planning on doing one plant for now. Thanks.

2. First off, can you move the shelving? 2nd how about smell? and your budget?

Id say 2 plants and about 150watts of cfl lighting. As for ventilation some say just leaving the door open and a fan circulating old and new air a few times a day will give the plants plenty of CO2. Heat could be a problem though and yhe best way to solve that would be to change the air often and turn the ac down id think.....

if you want to keep it short get an auto flowering strain. Ive never personally used one but i hear they stay short for the most part.

3. Damn that was fast haha. Yes, each tier of the shelving can be moved. I'm not sure of the smell because I never grew before, that's why I'm asking which strains don't smell that much. As for budget, the seeds will probably be around $50 for 5 feminized. So I'd like to keep everything under $100, plus I think I have some of the materials needed.

4. Yeah...the service in this forum SUCKS...I thought id train on some posts today lol:smoking:

Umm, Cfls are like $14 for four and that might be enough for the start.(not to sure im usinf 400wmh/hps)

soil is about $10 a bag

pots will vary in price...from free when you buy the soil from a nursery to $8 a piece even more

tap water is fine if you let it set out 24 hours so the chlorine evaporates

World of Seeds Pakistan Ryder Autoflowering Feminized
    these seeds only $40

what were thew specs of the closet floor

5. Ok, cool. Is there a bulb I can use thats like a general purpose and will allow me to use it for vegetation and flowering stages? Cause I would invest in that even if it was more pricey. The specs are approx. 2ft wide, from floor to first shelf is 2ft, first shelf to second is 18in, and top shelf to cieling is 2ft, the depth of the shelves is 3ft. The shelves can be moved tho.

6. Not to derail this thread or anything, was just wondering about auto flower seeds. Are they worth a damn? never had any exp. with any just kinda would like to know.

7. i know this isn't answering your question, but my friend just bought me some autoflower, and I'm going to use them for the first time, and my question is, can i grow them with my other plants? as in, does it need 24 hour lighting? or can it cycle?

8. Welllllll......
    you could get a 150w mh/hps set up...

High Tech Garden Supply

hps is good for veg and flowering.... most would rather have mh/veg and hps/flower
    but i think that is an awesome setup add like $20-$30 for shipping though :(

shang ive never grown them so idk

Edit: mike, ive heard have them 24/0 cause its gonna do what it wants anyways might aswell get the most veg time you can

9. I'd like to have an ideal setup, but I can't and don't really need it since I'm new. If an HPS will suffice through the process then I'll get one. So what kinda wattage would I need for one plant?

Also, any reccomended strains?

10. All the reading i have done says like 100W per plant. i have also seen some say 100W for the first one and 50-100w there after.

11. I think any HID (High Intensity Discharge) will work great. the 150 will grow 2 plants nicely. Lose the shelving though...IMO

as for strains go to Feminized Seeds

they have tons of feminized strains look carefull pick what you like.,..sweet flavor, berry flavor, lemon, garlic...size, flowering time, type of high, and yield all difffer from strain to strain. Sative is a high mind high energetic even. And Indaca is fucking couch lock man.... hybrids are amazing too.

12. Really unless your parents know what you're doing you are putting them at a huge risk and I wouldn't advise it at all.

13. most american parents are oblivious...he just needs to never mention it never show any gardening intentions dont even tell your friends... get a lock for the door

14. I am growing and my moms is trying to get a green card still, its risky , but I have permision, ONE PLANT WILL GROW 1FT-3 FT TALL, UNLESS ITS A SMALL ONE, HPS LIGHTS WILL KEEP YOU PLANT FROM TAKING EXTRA TIME GROWING VEGITATIVE STRENGTH AND HIEGTH, MH LIGHTS WILL GROW THEM STRONGER AND THUS POTENTIALY TALLER AND STINKIER, BUT i AM USING A SINGLE 400W hps AND IT IS STILL GROWING RISKY SLOW, iT TAKES ROOM, LIKE A BIGGER SPACE WHEN ITS TOO BIG FOR THAT, AND BUGS WILL BE AN ISSUE, SO PREPARE WITH PLANT SPRAY, LIKE ORANGE OFF.
    AND ALSO IF ITS GONNA BE OBVIOUS... IT WILL BE OBVIOUS. SO JUST TELL THEM YOUR GROWING APPLES OR SOME SHIT.! CUZ YOUR GONNA NEED SPACE AND YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO KINDA CONTROLL THE AIRFLOE AND FRESHNESS OF THE ROOM, AND KEEPING THE TEMP AS CLOSE TO 75 F AS POSSIBLE,UP TO 82 WITH PLENTY OF FAN BLOWING AIR WILL BE FINE. AND USING LOWER WATTAGE LIGHTS REALLY LETS YOU GET THEM LIKE 2 -5 INCHES AWAY FROM YOU PLANT AND GROWING THEM HELLA FAST! and one last thing grow buddy..
    get the most out of your lighting so use white walls as reflectors, and get more flat white wide by wide surfaces to add to your grow walls. and remember to not add acidic water to them plants, that means as sated before, let the water sit with the lid open over night to let the extra fumes out , and then watch it grow! ALWAYS keep the water level super low, like damp, not wet, were talkin, 1/4 cup water every 2-5 days depending on heat and air flow. any thing else you might need to know, just ask i guess, also go ahead and pirate the medical marijuana growers handbook from pirate b%y.%om and use utorrent%&^%$
    to download it. ITS THE BEST BOOK EVER< ITS LIKE THE BIBLE bro.

15. and also this goes to any one who sees it: LOOK AT MY PICS I HAVE A 400hps GROW(MY FIRST GROW EVER ) AND AWSOME PICS OF BUDS UP CLOSE LOOKIN AT TRICHOMES AND STUFF, REALLY GOOD HD CAMERA . JUST THOUGHT IDE THROW THAT OUT THERE. iVE BEEN WORKIN MY BUT OFF TO ADD PICS TO THIS SITE ANY SUPPORT ON HOW TO ADD PICS TO MY MESAEGES WOULD BE COOL. I WANT TO SATRT A THREAD THAT PEOPLE WILL LOOK AT WIT STEP BY STEP PLANT GROWTH SLIDESHOW. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

16. My problem with teens growing is that you end up showing your friends and that is how people get busted. If you get pusted they cops can and will take everything your parents own.

17. morality isnt the issue guys....if he gets busted thats his problem not mine. GCs job is to help and inform. Not father teenagers