help with choosing lights

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kennethp_84, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I have been looking at the 90 w UFO LED was pretty set on it but now I am not sure.

I am either going to do a LED cfl grow or just a cfl grow. I have a very small space and these are the two options I have.

I know it would be a little cheaper with just the cfls but I am not sure if the LED would be beneficial. I have read a lot of info both for and against LED.

Has anyone had any experience with LED cfl grows?

2. I've seen the 90W UFO give as much growth as a 400w Metal halide HID for veg, however when it comes to the next phase..lets just say..they don't exactly have the flower power.

cheapening the cost of electricity is an led endeavor, but you loose quantity (not sure how much quality you could loose either). You could use the ufo for veg and cfl's for flower.

Im sure you'd have to do quite a few grows for the ufo to pay itself off from electricity savings and the amount of bud you could get with it.

3. Agreed. I tried out a 90w UFO still got it worked just fine in veg lost its legs in flowering to the point where it just sorta stopped. Bought a 240w Blackstar LED Panel and kicked it in over drive.

If you look at some of the newer UFOs they upped the wattage, I suspect for that reason.

4. oh yeah there was a grow on here where a guy had one of those (240w blackstar) for each hydro plant he had in a room literally full of em..

that was the grow that proved to me that leds are a viable lighting choice, if you get a good wattage. (which is what lighting is all about, next to spectrum and heat)