Help with Ceramic Nail

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by flowerchild, Nov 29, 2014.

1. I bought a ceramic nail last night. Came home, put it in bong, heated it with a butane torch for2 minutes, the touched the wax to the side. I got ZERO smoke and the wax just melted. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? I've wasted so much wax trying to figure it out. :(( someone help me

2. If you can take a picture of your setup and describe what's going on a little better, I can tell you what you're doing wrong.

3. Idk if this is your first few times dabbing but you really have to pull hard.

4. You also have to engulf the nail with the torch

5. Yeah, definitely. Sorry my bong is so dirty 🙈
    View attachment 1630810

I am heating it up for the recommended two minutes with a butane torch, waiting a few seconds and then putting my dab on the nail (NOT in the hole just FYI lol). I've gotten maybe two really good dabs off it and that's it. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?

6. #6 SupaaBaked, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    Use the tip of the flame on the torch it's hotter. If you don't see anything going up or in than the nail isn't hot enough. If you can't get it hot enough go to the hardware store and get a propane torch. They heat up a lot faster.

7. Well, judging by the pool of oil still on your nail, you're most likely not getting it hot enough.

Ceramic nails are often advertised as "self-cleaning". This is because every time you get the nail sufficiently hot and torch from the top, you can get 100% of any residual oils to burn off, leaving it completely white just like when it was new.

In my opinion, it's stupid to torch for a specific amount of time, as there are many variables that will affect how fast it heats up (room temp, size of the flame, distance between flame and nail, etc.)

When I first started using my ceramic nail, I noticed a distinct change in the torch flame when the nail is sufficiently hot. That's what I aim for.

Basically, you want to touch the tip of the blue flame to the nail for four or five seconds, then switch directions to avoid uneven heating (you don't want to crack your ceramic nail, after all). Keep torching and switching directions until you notice an orange flame that extends beyond the blue flame. That's what tells me I've heated my nail sufficiently.

I'll take some pictures here to show you what I mean, give me a few mins.

8. Not hot enough-
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417309648.477351.jpg

Getting there-
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417309667.643909.jpg

Perfect-
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417309680.442285.jpg

Shitty pictures, but they should be able to communicate what I'm trying to say.

Also, please clean your bong :p

Oil hits on ceramic are so tasty through a clean rig!

9. Yeah, definitely. Sorry my bong is so dirty 🙈
    image.jpg

I am heating it up for the recommended two minutes with a butane torch, waiting a few seconds and then putting my dab on the nail (NOT in the hole just FYI lol). I've gotten maybe two really good dabs off it and that's it. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?

10. I knoww, I know it's disgusting. I've just been super lazy and busy lately lol.
    I'll give that a shot later and report back. Only I could make this THIS complicated -.- haha