Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Help with cannabutter

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Jrab98, Oct 9, 2018.

1. So I'm making cannabutter in the crockpot later and most people say add a cup of water to the lb of butter. Will this water evaporate or will I have watery butter?

2. The water is to clean the unpleasant taste from the extraction. If you use a crockpot and leave the lid on then you pretty much don't have to worry about the water evaporating but you should always be aware. This is a good process if you're going to use the butter pretty quickly but it goes rancid faster. Keep it in the freezer for storage.

After you've finished your processing you'll strain all the liquid from the plant material the best you can. A good thing about using water is that not as much of your infused butter is left. After you've strained it, place the liquid in a bowl or jar or whatever and stick it in the fridge over night. The butter will form into a hard green puck on top with the gross water underneath. Remove the puck, toss the water, turn the puck over with the water side up and scrape off the sludge left behind. Now you're ready to cook.

Decarb your material first. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. I did decarb it I was just making sure the water wouldn't ruin the butter. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  4. I think you're doing it the best way. The water removes so much of the bad tasting stuff.That's how I made my first cookies and I've never had better. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Crockpots are unregulated and the worst choice for making cannabis oil.
    Water contaminates the oil and isn't needed or wanted IMO
    Why do you need a whole pound of butter ??
    ----------------------------------
    Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes (weed on a cookie sheet in the oven)
    5 grams well powdered bud (decarbed)
    2.5 Teaspoons Coconut oil
    .5 Teaspoon Lecithin (optional)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Done
    Freeze (optional to further soften the weed particles)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (optional if you froze)
    Capsulize or add to the oil called for in any baked good.
    Makes about 30 big doses 50mg with weed. More like 100mg with hash.

No water, No crockpots, No trying to separate water from butter.
    Lasts far longer as butter will go rancid over time while I've yet to see coconut oil do anything. It's a far more stable oil.

This makes a tablespoon of very potent oil that carries a good 30 doses to start with say 6 drops worth. Better to need just a touch then eating a 1/4 pound of butter unless your trying to put on the pounds.
    My 2 cents.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'd rather do it your way, BNW, but don't have your resources or ingenuity. Maybe making butter in the crock pot with water is old school, but has served me well. I much prefer cooking or making tincture with concentrates, but five grams of hash or kief is a lot for me and your stuff is too wickedly potent for baking. Sometimes I just have an ounce to make some cookies with.

7. I used 22 grams of trim to 1 lb of butter with 1 cup of water. Didn't use lecithin because I couldnt find any

8. If you use water you don't use lecithin. It'll homogenize the oil and water together and you won't be able to separate them. We've had folks make that mistake and it was a semi disaster.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. The same base recipe works equally as well with powdered bud and the short cooking time makes it as get up and go as it gets. Long cooks make it to sleepy for my daytime use.
    Can scale the recipe up or down as needed. We do use the same hash oil for baking when requested as food. Since I know it's strength I squeeze empty one 100mg capsule into a tablespoon of plain Coconut oil and work from that.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  10. Okay cool so let me run you through my process..
    I grinded the 20 grams of trim in a ninja blender for like 5 seconds it was pretty small. Then I decarbed on 245 for 40 minutes. I froze the weed and after it was froze I put a cup of water and 4 sticks of butter in the crock pot on high for about 50 minutes once it was all melted I put it on low and through my bud in. Covered it and will be stirring it every 30 minutes. I will then strain it into a jar through cheesecloth and put it in the freezer. Does all this sound successful?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oh and putting the water/butter jar in the freezer won't it cause the water to freeze and make it harder to separate from the butter?

• Like Like x 1
  12. #12 Joker1121, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    If I'm gonna leave it in over night I use the fridge. If you freeze it don't use a jar where the opening is smaller than the base of the jar. Good luck, enjoy! Oh, it will be far more potent if you don't strain! Not as tasty, but more potent. At 15% THC in your trim out of 20 grams you will have 3000 mg, or 750 mg per half cup of butter if you don't strain. Staining will reduce that by about 1/3.

13. U cant put to much water in there. But if u dont stir and keep enough water in there u will burn it. Put crock pot on low for 4 hours

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. Get a levo or magical butter and elemenate thc water. Just weed and butter

15. So in case u guys dont know this, but Brass wrote the books around here on edibles rso etc. U are talking to the Pope lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. This is how it turned out.. Does this look good or is it too dark?

Attached Files:

17. Also didn't really have any water separation so hope that's not a problem either

18. Don't use the freezer. :rolleyes:

19. I didn't I ended up letting it cool to room temp then the fridge

20. There should have been water separation if you didn't freeze it, if you had enough water in it. Should have had a cup or two unless it all evaporated on you. :)