Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Help With Canna-Oil?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by hitfromabove, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Hey all, I'm new to this site and have a question. I've never made brownies before, but I have a friend who can't smoke for medical reasons. I want to use an eighth of high grade bud to make canna-oil and use it in a brownie mix. How much oil should the mix call for if I want to use the eighth or maybe less? Is there a way to make this much oil in a crock pot? I'm slow as hell so I would love step-by-step instructions to make the oil in a crock pot (or pan if I have to).

2. #2 i liketrees, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
    i dont know if a crock pot gets hot enough, to be honest.  i do know that if you want to make a single batch of brownies with this eighth, just get any brownie recipe/boxed mix that uses oil, and make that amount of oil with all your bud.  then you will have one batch of brownies with one eighth of weed.  eat as many brownies as it takes to get sufficiently toasted.

EDIT- another thing about the crockpot is that it's probably too big for such a small amount of oil

3. #3 WorkaholicsGirl, Jun 6, 2013
    First thing's first:  An eighth is not nearly enough pot to make oil.  You will want approximately 7 grams (a quarter) per cup if you want decent oil.

Second:  You absolutely can make canna-oil and even cannabutter in a crockpot.  I have done so successfully; feel free to make more/less oil than I did but try not to use any less than 7 grams per cup (5 is the lowest amount I would assume if you actually want to feel anything).  This same ratio applies to cannabutter as well if you're interested in making that.  Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
    14 grams (half an ounce) of marijuana
    2 cups of any type of vegetable oil (I used a canola blend but olive oil tastes great in brownies too and is healthier)
    Crockpot
    Cheesecloth (in a pinch I have found that a clean cut-off leg of pantyhose or a rather threadbare dishtowel will work as well
    Rubberband
    A bowl or tupperware container

1.  Finely grind your ganj with a hand grinder or clean coffee grinder.
    2.  Measure 2 cups of vegetable oil.
    3.  Plug in crock pot and put on "keep warm" setting.  I caution against using the "high" or even "low" settings as these can scorch your oil and leave it with a burnt taste.
    4.  Pour the oil into the crockpot and add the ground weed.
    5.  Stir the contents of the pot well to incorporate them.
    6.  Let oil simmer in crockpot on "keep warm" setting for 6+ hours, stirring once every few hours.  You can safely let it cook for up to 18 hours.
    7.  Turn off crockpot and take the lid off to aid in cooling the oil.
    8.  Once the oil has cooled, take your bowl or container, stretch the cheesecloth, pantyhose, or dishtowel and stretch it across the top of container and secure it with a rubberband.
    9.  Pour the oil into the container slowly and let the oil strain through the cheesecloth until all of the ground herb remains on top of it.
    10.  Remove the rubber band and carefully lift the cheesecloth above the bowl.  Twist it until you can squeeze as much oil as you can from it and then discard.

Et Voila!  You have just made canna-oil.  Substitute the oil in any recipe that calls for oil.

4. #4 hypercardriac, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
    Apparently wrong...

5. #5 BadKittySmiles, Jun 6, 2013
    Here is the World Summit edition of the CannaPharm information, in video format.... you'll be wanting Vol. 1 - & - Vol. 4.

Both Rick Simpson and I were the headlining 'star speakers' of the Cannabis World Summit, the Summit is an annual, 10-day, free and informative event, available to all members of our community who are interested in cannabis, in its medical applications, and in what the major players in the community are up to. :)
      Nine of the ten days featured three or more speakers for each day, Rick and I were asked to share the Big 4/20 day of the Summit alone due to the volume of content we provided the community, and to our track records with treating and even curing cancer, as well as other illnesses, with our medical oils! My medical oil video tutorials, Rick's interview, and his documentaries can be found on Day 5 / 4-20-2013, along with some bonus footage from Rick. :D

Here ya go!

BadKat's CannaPharm : The Cannabis World Summit Edition...

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 1: Decarboxylation" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEa9a1riXl8

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 2: Flowering & Revegetated Clones" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMKeEwMSgb4

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 3: Hash Machine Demo" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shrUhcPLqb0

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 4: Medical Grade Oil" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v6wKwQO6Ko

BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 5: Powerful Topical Bone Bars" by BadKittySmiles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHr1m5ZQA0

BadKittySmiles World Summit Preview.. Medical Grade Canna Oil, Hash, Edibles, Cloning and more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffzSeSfeuM

BadKittySmiles - GrassCity!!! - Cannabis World Summit - Comment to WIN FREE SIGNED BeeLine Hemp Wick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkbclJ5wZKk

And if streaming video is difficult for your computer or your internet connection, here are the original photo tutorial versions, directly from the CannaPharm sticky here at GC. :)

If you're looking for Phoenix Tears/RSO, with improved bioavailability, less waste, and best of all, that utilizes a safe food-grade solvent, please see the concentrate tutorial below for an ethyl alcohol extraction, transferred to coconut oil!
    Virtually any recipe or dish can be infused with canna, especially those that contain oil, alcohol or sweet flavors :hello:  

This entire Thanksgiving Dinner, including the turkey, was fully medicated!

[​IMG]

Just head over to the edible section and check out the CannaPharm to learn how :)

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Cannabis Concentrate (Edible & Smokable recipes included... similar to RSO/Phoenix Tears & BHO, but bioavailable & made with food grade/drinking alcohol)

-Medical Grade Cannabis Concentrate-

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Hash Oil (starting with dry-sift hash, same as capsule recipe, oil can also be used for cooking)

Med-Grade Hash Oil

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Canna Oil (starting with flowers/bud/trim etc)

Med-Grade Canna Oil

[​IMG]

Just remember that water should NEVER be used with canna oil or butter!!! It certainly used to be common practice in our culture, but we've come a long way since the old wives' tales and urban myths of the 60's concerning canna oils, and butters. :)

The long story on old-fashioned Water-Butters.....
    Adding water to the mix was an old-fashioned (and very ill conceived)  attempt at controlling temperatures, when the material actually still comes into contact with the heat source directly from below! It won't 'burn' or char down there, but it's causing excessive and unnecessary degradation during a process that already takes longer than it should, due to the water contamination.
    Another old myth is that it makes canna butter/oil more 'clean' by  separating the green matter, when (especially if a clean butter or oil is your goal) it actually requires more work to clean the worst-tasting elements, and more effort and time to truly complete the process..... ie. the water-washing steps, that many folks seem to neglect and leave out these days, when following the older water recipes. :) The water is what is responsible for pulling the majority of that water-soluble inert stuff into your mix! Bitter plant salts especially are left behind, where they are very water soluble, and not oil soluble... some will stay with the water, but when you invite excessive salts and into the mix using water, during the cooling process many of those salts are left behind to 'free-float' in your oil, similar to the free-floating cannabinoids you can lose in your water bath, by adding water before the cannabinoids have properly bonded with the oil.

You get not only more potent oil, but cleaner tasting oil in the end without using the water in the first place! <span>[​IMG]</span>

And if you'd like it even a hair cleaner, just water-wash it, just like you would with the old water-butters by adding a second portion of water, after cooling and separating the first layer of water. :)

The best difference when washing a properly made oil or butter is that, unlike water washing most water-butters, once the cannabinoids have correctly bonded with a good oil without all that water contamination interfering, you can much more safely go on to wash out water-soluble and inert debris, without risking the separation or free-floating loss of your fully-bonded active components. :yay:
      If you're looking to control your temps, and that's why you've considered using water in the past, a MUCH better option is to use your oven, or even a simple a double boiler. You  can use two pots; one larger that contains a few inches of water, one  smaller that floats inside on top of that water.
    That smaller pot contains only your oil or clarified  butter, and your herb or hash. This provides an actual buffer between  the heat source and your materials, protecting them better, and all  without diluting your edible solvent with water.

( Why do all the most successful edible experts recommend clarified butter, by the way?

SPECIFICALLY to avoid water contamination! <span>[​IMG]</span> )

Long story short, however much or little time you have you will make the most progress,  by using a pure solvent, rather than one so diluted with water. If you don't want to invite water-soluble components during extraction... well, don't add that water, wait to clean your oil until AFTER you've separated the plant matter.

Better Extraction - More Bioavailability - Cleaner End Product. :yay:
    The water is not responsible for stripping any components you want: it only pulls excessive salt, chlorophyll and other inert properties into the mix, while at the same time hindering the oil and its ability  to break down your cannabis glandular material. The plant matter soaks up the water before the oil, and prevents the oil from gaining as solid access and contact as it otherwise would have, and consequently it prevents the oil from doing the job and making the progress it otherwise could. This leads to extended cooking requirements, causing your cannabis to undergo unneeded degradation and heat exposure.

What's worse....

Besides making a butter or oil with a reduced bioavailability, and besides  pulling in all the extra salts and waxes and chlorophyll that a pure  oil wouldn't.... that water you toss out at the end, if you check the  bottom after it's settled?

You will notice a hash sediment.

Especially without a good day-long cook, in a water butter, these are not the same depleted trichome 'husks' that you'd have in a  proper oil, alcohol, or other more 'pure' extraction, often even if  you've spent adequate time heating in your water-butter.

They still  contain a huge amount of potency, if you've only heated for a scant few hours with all that water present!

The REAL water butter recipes of the old days, relied heavily on spending at least 15 - 24 solid hours heating,  in order to satisfactorily extract most of the potency from those  glandular husks, due to the reduced efficiency of the extraction method.

Just like making poor mans ice-hash with a single bag and a collection res, all those still-potent glands sink below the water, and rest on the bottom.

Hope this helps clear things up, good luck and have fun!  :wave:

6. Would adding kief instead of plant matter/bud work effectivly?

7. Is 1 cup oil too little to use in a crockpot? 

8. not unless it's a very small crockpot.