Help With A Sideways-Growing Seed

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by allcrazy, Feb 24, 2013.

1. ok Ijust re-started my White Widow DWC grow...first 2 seeds popped, started growing then the rockwool (that's never dries out) dried out:( which meant those two died.

now I re-planted 2 more WW and put them in the rockwool which is inside of a 16oz plastic beer cup with a plastic bag over the top with holes in it...temp is about 72 degrees and I have them both under a CFL just to give em a little light to pop up so I can move em to the rockwool/DWC bucket...

the problem is this:
    when I germinated them in the paper towels and they cracked open one taproot was straight and one was bent kind of on a 90-degree angle...why? I don't know. they were in a dark room at about 80 degrees....plenty of room on the plate/paper towel so I don't know why the one cracked open bent the way it did....

now the one that was straight is about 1" out of the rockwool...the other one isn't really doing as much...the little piece of rockwool covering the hole is visibly moved/raised so I took a peep and it looks like the taproot MIGHT be growing upwards because it looks the same as it did when I put it in the rockwool...or maybe it's just growing slower than the other one.

does the taproot sometimes grow in the wrong/opposite direction?
    when I put that one in the rockwool I didn't wanna jam it in there & break the root...

all info is appreciated.:D

2. First, when the seed germinated the root came out, found nothing to burrow into and curved to try to find something to take hold. This is not abnormal but is a little frustrating when it happens. In the future you may want to move past the paper towel method and just use jiffy pellets or rapid rooters. They don't require moving the seed after it sprouts which is a very fragile stage, and can support the seedling for the first or second set of leaves.

Second, I actually have had one seed grow upside down of all the seeds I have ever planted. It was a Centennial Seeds Blueberry that is supposed to be a cut of a DJ Short plant. If this is true it has been said that the chocolate thai that was used in the breeding of blueberry produces deformed growth in certain areas, I speculate that this could have contributed to the problem.

Best medicine is patience though, let it do its own thing, and most likely it will turn out alright, if not keep in mind this is not common and will very likely not happen to you again or for long time.

Colorado Legaliz:smoking:

3. #3 allcrazy, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
    thanks!
    I'll just sit back and see what happens....at least the other one if doin' it's thing.

just checked them both and here's a pic of the one that might be upside down...this is my first grow so I wouldn't know if this is upside-down or rightside-up....
    [​IMG]

4. Yep, looks upside down, also looks like it may be molding. Take a closer look as I cant tell 100% from the pic. If it is molding, get it away from the other seedling or you risk spreading it.
    ColoradoLegaliz:smoking:

Also, since its going to die anyway, you could always try to pick it out and place it in the right way. Will probably end up dead but it could be worth a shot.

5. Leave it be, keep it moist let it figure things out. Plants have been around untold millenia and have handled much worse unassisted

6. This is a good thing to always keep in the back of your head. Its a plant, it wants to live, it will do anything it can to do so.

7. this one actually sprouted leaves and is growing faster that the one I originally though to the "the good one"...I guess she straightened herself out...see below.
    [​IMG]

8. and a happy ending!

9. A happy beginning, can't wait to see the ending!