Help with a PC grow box

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Hosharvey, May 7, 2017.

1. Hi I've got a pc case that is 35-40cm tall. Can I grow in it? How do I control the height?

Thanks a lot

2. just grow indica, do low stress training, and you fill be fine, but 35 cm would not be the best IMO

3. How many plants should I do? Also, should I use autoflowers? If I do, do I need to buy 6500k and 2700k CFLs?

4. That's a really short PC case, you might wanna look for a slightly larger one. It can be used to grow but it's gonna be 5c as hard as jsut getting a slightly bigger pc to grow in. You need to fit lights, fans, filter,timer,containers AND plants...it's gonna be a tight fit and take some serious engineering and tetris skills.

You should be able to both veg and flower just fine under warm white bulbs. I'd definitely go for led bulbs instead of cfl. Take a look at this comparison thread about cfls vs. led bulbs. The led bulbs get about 2-3x as much light for the same wattage. With led bulbs only costing a few bucks a piece now, led is the obvious choice for micro growing.

You could run with autos, keep them small by using smaller containers and training and topping the plants. Growing autos will also help you sort the males out quicker then regular photo period seeds. If you don't do autos, I'd suggest getting feminized seeds. You don't want to spend 1.5 - 2 months growing out a male on accident. I'd do autos or femmed photos. If you have access to clones that's the best way to go. They're gonna be female and you can start flower almost immediately.

I have a PC grow logged somewhere in my micro thread. I got about an ounce from 65w of cfl with 8 clones. That PC was 43cm tall though, and I used a low profile cfl bulb too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don't you have to place LED lights higher? Since there is no room..

6. I think I can fit all those things in the case pretty easily with about 35cm of space from the bulb.

7. Here's an image.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. @KarmaPuis yeh you have a point if he uses that small of a space. He could leave the domes on them to spread the light better, or angle them. I still think side lighting from domed leds would out perform side lighting from cfls, but I'm not positive. Definitely less heat from led though at comparable wattage. I think heat is gonna be an issue in such a small area unless the airflow is really well built.

• Like Like x 1
  9. What would you expect the yield to be like using a couple of indica and loads of low stress training?

10. maybe an oz. That would take like 60+ watts to do though. Plan on getting about 1/2 gram a watt on your first run.

There's tons of other stuff to factor in too. Like temps, humidity, airflow, health of plant, nutrients etc... You have a lot of reading and learning to do though if you wanna get 1 oz or more out of there. What's really great though is that everything you need to know is already on this forum somewhere, you just have to find it :)

11. Thanks a lot by the way man. Can you tell me if this is okay:
    20/4 light cycle
    1x 6400k bulb
    +
    1x 2700k bulb (Both CFL)
    These will be both on at the same time.
    3 litre pot and I will perform low stress training.
    An ounce is loads to me. A guy who spends £10 for a gram every week.

12. Thanks a lot by the way man. Can you tell me if this is okay:
    20/4 light cycle
    1x 6400k bulb
    +
    1x 2700k bulb (Both CFL)
    These will be both on at the same time.
    3 litre pot and I will perform low stress training.
    An ounce is loads to me. A guy who spends £10 for a gram every week.

• Like Like x 1
  13. yeh that'll work. Plan on getting about 1/2 gram per watt of light used. That's if the plant is nice and trained out and fills the case. for cfl's I'd recommend about 75w total for flower and about 30-40w for veg.

Are you doing femmed seeds or autos? Just asking cuz you might get some bad luck with males if you use regular seeds or bagseeds. It will take probably 1.5 -2 months before you know sex and another 2 months to flower.

14. I dunno what do you recommend? So is it a gamble with autos?

15. Just realised I misinterpreted the question. I'll be using easy bud autos from royal queen seeds.

16. Well autos can show sex in like 2-3 weeks. A photo plant is gonna take at least 45 days or so to show..and it might take an extra week or 2 after that. If the photo plant is female, you still need to flip it into 12/12 and then it take another 60-70 days to finish. By that time an auto would be done. You can also get femmed autos. It's up to you what you wanna grow.

The main advantage of a photo plants is being able to veg it out longer for larger yields, you don't really need any extra veg time in your tiny space. The other advantage to photos is to be able to keep a mother and clone it, so you never waste time with males and you can flower clones straight away. you don't have that option due to only having one box (no separate veg/flower areas). IMO/IME a photo plant needs to reach maturity before it flowers which is generally when they show sex, about 1.5-2 months.

The main advantage to autos is quick turn around time from seed, and they can be flowered under a single light cycle..no switching to 12/12 needed. Downside is that you need a steady supply of seeds to keep popping as males will inevitably show up and waste some of your time and space.

The time table for femmed autos would be the fastest, while non-femmed photos would be the longest, in terms of seed to harvest. If you're only running one box then you will be going from seed to harvest each time. Maybe start with an auto to get a quick harvest and start saving money on buds, then after that decide if you wanna do more autos or try a photo while you'll have some buds to sit on from yer first harvest.

There's no wrong answer, just different possible outcomes. Make sure you understand the possible outcomes before deciding. I'm just trying to throw all the info out there so you can make an informed decision based our your needs and goals. :)

*oh yer using autos I see. lol I was typing all that while you posted I guess.

17. Thanks dude. So a femmed auto doenst guarantee a female plant?

• Like Like x 1
  18. you're very welcome.

yeh for the most part it does. There's still a very small chance it could be a male or a hermie. I've never personally had an issue like that with any of the femmed seeds I've popped but I've read about others that have. It depends alot on the breeder and how well they worked their genetics and tested their own seeds.

19. Okay cool. I'll stick with the easy bud then. I couldn't do this with out you bro. Thanks for all the advice.

• Like Like x 1