Help with a light kill switch.

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Jamtastic, May 23, 2010.

1. #1 Jamtastic, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010
    I have a 2000 Chevy Impala.

I want to wire a switch, and mount it on the dash that will kill all the lights.

Ideal setup:
    1)Kill ALL the lights, but keeps the car running, head lights, tail lights, parking lights, indoor lights, dome light, dash board lights. That's a lot of work

But that's too much work, what I really need to do is be able to kill just the headlights/parking lights. My car's headlights are manual, but have automatic override. They will turn on at night, and stay off in the day, unless I manually change that. They will automatically shut off no matter what, so the battery can never be drained by leaving the lights on. At night, however, if I manually turn off the lights, it kills the headlights, but leaves the 2 yellow parking lights on.

I want a switch, that when activated, cuts the power to the head lights, and parking lights (and if I install fog lights, those too, but as of now I don't have them).

Any idea's on how I would go about doing this? I could just make a cut somewhere in the light's circut, add a simple switch, then complete the circut. This would require me making cuts in 4 circuts.

Since I can manually turn off the headlights, I could always just do it with 2 circuts. So either both on or both off. How would I do this with one switch?

[​IMG]

I'm thinking the one on the right would work from an enginering standpoint, but the lights don't connect directly to the battery? So how would I go about this? An I'm correct with the diagram right?

2. Here is your basic headlight wiring. I suggest pick up a hanes manual for your car if you want one car specific.

[​IMG]

Now, if you find your low beam relay (check under the steering wheel and above your pedals) you can wire in a switch into that line coming from your battery. Remember to get a 12 volt or higher switch. I could be wrong however, I fucking hate electrical.

3. #3 Jamtastic, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010
    Thanks for the help. I used to remember it all pretty well, but it's been years since I've studied electronics, and not keeping up to date on it I forgot almost everything about diagrams and what not.

One thing is my car actually has three lights, so let me edit that diagram, and see if I'm right.

I only added one light, but with a third light the diagram would look like this:
    [​IMG]
    I'll just have to find that relay wire, and put a switch in there: