Help Wanted: Organic Mentor/Coach

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by AskEd, May 11, 2010.

1. High All! I have some grow experience, and have done lots of homework (will always try to learn on my own first), and I'm trying out an organic grow to see if it's for me. I'm making my own medium with coco as the primary medium. I'm not trying to do organics by using a lot of off the shelf products, just the opposite really. I'm trying to do this chem free by using amendments and guano teas.

I would love to have an experienced & friendly mentor to peek over my shoulder and let me know if I'm screwing something up or doing good.

This is the grow journal, it's an El Dorado (sativa) and is in flowering now. So far so good, but I'm having a hard time getting her to green up for me, she went pale a week or two ago and I've been tea'ing her heavily but she still seems a bit hungry, can't figure out what's up.

I don't have heavy details in the journal, trying to keep it reader friendly :) But if you are willing to help I'll provide all I can. Here are some basics of the grow:

Medium (2 gal mix):
    6 qt - coco coir (fiber)
    1 qt - worm castings
    1 qt - perlite
    -----
    1 oz - blood meal
    1.5 oz - bone meal
    1.5 oz - palletized dolomite (I prefer this over crushed)
    1.5 oz - green sand
    2 tbsp - dry molasses
    1 tbsp - epsom salt

Teas:
    1 gal RO
    2 oz hi-P bat guano
    1 oz - Maxicrop
    1 tbsp - unsulphured molasses
    1/4 tsp - epsom salt
    8-16 oz - worm castings ** don't always use, but need some N

I let the teas brew for 12-24 hours if using worm castings. I also added some amendments as a top dressing in hopes that would help. Veg went flawlessly, just water, and so far she is flowering fine but just looking pale - otherwise healthy.

If you can help, I'd be honored if you could swing by my thread or shoot me a PM.

[​IMG]

2. HiYa Ed ,.. .. .. :D

I would love ta help ya, .. But, .. I can't man.. .. :(

I never used Coco, .. But, I am an self proclaimed Expert in Soil Mediums .. .. ;)

Hope ya find that right Dude / or, Claudette Style .. lol .. .. ..

3. Hey WWM! Yeah the coco is a little twist on everything, finding good info on coir is a bit of work. Too bad you're not the coach I'm looking for, but I know who to turn to if I decide to grow a forest ;)

Stay cool my man :smoking:

4. Hey Ed, check this out. I'm not the mentor you're looking for, but...

Read it all but at the end is a summary you may be interested in. There are a lot of hits on the .edu domains using "coco coir" and "coir" as search items. Good luck and thanks to you for upping my own knowledge!

Cheers!

http://www.usu.edu/cpl/PDF/CoconutCoirPaper.pdf

5. Good info, thanks...

However, I think Ed may want to send them a photo of Jenna ;).

6. Hmmmm. If Jenna's good enough for Utah State (for crying out loud of all places...) maybe Ed should share Jenna's picture with us here....:D

7. Howdy! Thanks for the info man, I've come across that one, I live of agg extension sites LOL It's about the only place to find decent info on coir. I used sphagnum for about 15 years before switching to coco, I much prefer the coco and have had better results with it. I still use sphagnum for my veggies though (hell of a lot cheaper!), it really is great stuff.

Hey Ventoux :wave: Hell might as well make it an entire grow LOL

This is her... now if I can do this with organics I'll be very happy LOL

[​IMG]

8. #8 patriofarmer, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
    Ed,

After watching you grow and that pic there won't be too many to fill those shoes! Check out any post written by Lumperdawgz, he is no longer on as far as I know. The man knows his stuff. Chunkydaddyo, and Ocitown are by far the two I would go to for input and advice. Both good kind people just as yourself.

Good luck, that first pic of the young plant is the healthiest thing I have ever seen.

9. #9 Possuum, May 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010

LMAO! and you think that YOU need a mentor....LOL! Will you be mine?

Damn Ed! That picture! She's a beaut. You should be proud papa! I'm stunned!

Thank you for sharing that one. It gives me a wee bit of hope for meself mate! That shot should be gracing the cover of some 420 mag. She's a nasty girl! I lust for her!

10. Thanks Patrio! When it comes to organics I'm a total noob but willing & wanting to learn, I like to think I'd make a good student at least (I would try!). I have read many postings by the ones you have pointed out, and I agree they seem to have some valuable knowledge. If I don't get a volunteer I may go around begging LOL (I know where to start ha!)

Thanks Possuum, I appreciate the kind words :smoke: And yeah Jenna (Jameson) is something else, she can make you very happy LOL Great oral qualities, top heavy, she smells wonderful, and makes me high :) Luckily the wife really enjoys her company too, we all have wonderful evenings together :p

11. read what you can about aguy called Soma. he has his own seed bank and lives organic.

12. Thanks man, I know a few guys that grow his stuff and swear by him. Didn't know he was all organic though, I'll check him out...

13. Ed,

Smoove used the Soma method, the results were very nice. I'm a bit excited to see how Lumperdawgz's recipe works myself.

I'm pretty sure your going to master the organics quickly as well. Those buds you grew were monsters. Good luck, enjoy those buds!

14. #14 niamert, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
    I'm not an expert, but I usually have an opinion :)

How do you brew your teas? Do you aerate them and what kind of pump?

I have also researched some into Mycorrhiza fungi. I have read that they are very beneficial for flowering. Might help your plant uptake nutes in the coco. You could buy some for like $6-7 bucks and water it in.

You could try to brew a more fungal tea like is described here:

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/558078-fungal-tea-recipe.html

Here are his results

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/491467-fungal-flowering-tea-results-pic.html

15. #15 MMJ mang, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010
    I actually made the Coco Mix. I bought...

DTE COCO 2.25 CU ft. broken up
    10Lbs Rock Phosphate
    1 CU ft. combination 50/50 of EB stone worm castings and DTE vermicompost
    1 CU ft pumice
    1.5 cups DTE humic shale
    1.25 cups granulated azomite
    1 cup oyster shell
    .5 cup Whitney farms dolomite lime prilled

Boom. I got my medium with the coco, the organic matter with the casting/compost, and I got some shattered rock.

Now, lets get to the ammendments...

N
    1.25 cup DTE soybean meal
    1.5 cup alfalfa meal
    1 cup cottonseed meal
    .5 cup Whitney farms bat guano. I think it is 8-3-1 or something...

P
    .5 cup Happy frog bat guano 0-5-0
    1 cup DTE fishbone meal

K
    1 cup Kelp meal.

I transplanted plants in 1 gal to 5 gal and got some twisty leaves so I took it out, And put it in my ammended FFOF soil that was in the rubbermaid. They are doing well now.

I Tested my COCO made soil and the ph was at 7.5.
    The water i test with has a ph of 7.1

I Tested the NPK. All seemed great. Had little N, alot of P and good K something like 4-8-6 if 10 was the highest level on the test.

This was a couple days after I made the soil.

I test it 3 weeks later wtih a ph of 7.2 with a testing water ph of 7.

I test my ammended/recycled FFOF that does well at 6.5 with a ph test water of 7.

Moral of the story is that you probably should stay away from the lime if you are mixing soil with a COCO base, Or add some peat to the COCO in I would say a 4-1 ratio. I have No idea though.

I am mixing my ammended FFOF with the COCO mix for next go round. Probably 2 FFOF to 1 COCO.

16. I actually made the Coco Mix. I bought...

DTE COCO 2.25 CU ft. broken up
    10Lbs Rock Phosphate
    1 CU ft. combination 50/50 of EB stone worm castings and DTE vermicompost
    1.5 cups DTE humic shale
    1.25 cups granulated azomite
    1 cup oyster shell
    .5 cup Whitney farms dolomite lime prilled

Boom. I got my medium with the coco, the organic matter with the casting/compost, and I got some shattered rock.

Now, lets get to the ammendments...

N
    1.25 cup DTE soybean meal
    1.5 cup alfalfa meal
    1 cup cottonseed meal
    .5 cup Whitney farms bat guano. I think it is 8-3-1 or something...

P
    .5 cup Happy frog bat guano 0-5-0
    1 cup DTE fishbone meal

K
    1 cup Kelp meal.

I transplanted plants in 1 gal to 5 gal and got some twisty leaves so I took it out, And put it in my ammended FFOF soil that was in the rubbermaid. They are doing well now.

I Tested my COCO made soil and the ph was at 7.5.
    The water i test with has a ph of 7.1

I Tested the NPK. All seemed great. Had little N, alot of P and good K something like 4-8-6 if 10 was the highest level on the test.

This was a couple days after I made the soil.

I test it 3 weeks later wtih a ph of 7.2 with a testing water ph of 7.

I test my ammended/recycled FFOF that does well at 6.5 with a ph test water of 7.

Moral of the story is that you probably should stay away from the lime if you are mixing soil with a COCO base, Or add some peat to the COCO in I would say a 4-1 ratio. I have No idea though.

I am mixing my ammended FFOF with the COCO mix for next go round. Probably 2 FFOF to 1 COCO.

Learn from me

17. Hey Patrio! That's right, smoove was all organic, I need to go back and study his grow a bit. Thanks man, how could I forget that grow!? :confused:

I've been taking a real kiss approach and adding whatever as needed, but I brew the guanos for at least 30 minutes using RO, and 12-24 hours if I'm using earth worm castings. I haven't added an airstone yet but I did run down a place that has Mycorrhiza fungi so I'm looking into that.

And as you suggest the uptake, that's exactly what I'm trying to improve. So far I really have one plant being stubborn, the rest are pretty cool. I've increased her dosage but it's still not enough. I picked up some humic acid in the mean time though, I'm hoping this helps.

Thanks for your info man! Good stuff and makes me feel better about working on that part :smoking:

Howdy! Thanks for the info man, very cool.

Yeah the ph has been an adventure with this, my base coco starts at a beautiful 6.1, but has raised to 6.7 with all the amendments. I lowered my water ph from 5.8 to 5.2 to compensate, so far it's working great! I kept a few at 5.8 and they look the same health wise. I love coco and how forgiving it is with ph.

Calcium is the main reason I use lime though. I have a terrible time with calcium deficiencies if I don't. To compensate I've been adding cottonseed meal. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks/months how it works LOL

Thanks again man, glad to hear some input.

18. Hey Ed,

Sorry if I missed this in my skim-over of this thread but have you looked into mycorhizaes and other beneficial bacteria? If yes ignore this, if not they are a key part of organic growing and form a tag-team along with your amendments. Your amendments pack the punch while the bacteria increase uptake efficiency and a whole range of other benefits. "Teeming with Microbes" is a must read.

Good lookin plant either way

Peace
    clos3t

19. Hey thanks JB, that mix he suggests is very close to what I'm making now! I'm missing a few things, but I'm supplying them in other ways. I've finally found some Humic acid & Mycorrhizae fungi, so I'll be tweaking a bit. Thanks again bud!

This is subcool's recipe...

Hi clos3t, thanks for posting man. I have a hardcover illustrated copy of "Teeming with Microbes" that shipped out of Amazon today LOL

The beneficials have been my suspect too, I thought worm castings would supply enough of that but she didn't seem to be uptaking the buffet of amendments.

I finally got my hands on some humic acid & Mycorrhizae fungi, so I transplanted her to a 5 gal with the new stuff a few days ago, fingers crossed now... :smoking:

This makes me feel better about doing all that :)

Thanks again!