HELP!! URGENT! Drying Question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by lovethew33d, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Hey GC,
    My first grow has been going amazing, and I'm lookin at a 1-2 ounce yield on my girl I started late April. My question to you is, I'm going to hang the branches up with a fan circulating air in my attic for the first 3 days after chopping at my Dad's house. I gotta go to my community college and then back to my Mom's house. I can't leave the herb drying all the extra time, cause I'l be there 4 days. I'm thinking of jarring it up and leaving it in my car while I go into class for 6-7 hours, and then loading up the buds to finish drying in my Mom's attic with the brown paper bag method for the last 2-3 days of drying and then loading them back into jars to start curing. Will they accumilate mold in the 6 or 7 hours in the jars half dry while I'm in class? I really want this harvest to be successful and my whole schedule's gonna fuck it up. There's no way I can really leave it at my Dad's or stay there. Thanks for any help guys :smoke:

2. you will have to see how they are after the first 3 days.. if they are crispy, the jar won't hurt for 6 hours.. .if they are moist, put straight into the paperbag.

3. Thanks. Any other advice from experience from others viewing the thread is much appreciated. :hello: Thanks guys!

4. do a forum search for drying or curing... literally hundreds of threads on this very topic... they should help. good luck.

5. After three days with a fan on them they should be dried out enough to jar for 6 hrs. Try to park in the shade so they don't get condensation inside. The concern is mold and mildew and I don't think you will have a problem.

6. One last question for anyone looking to help me out. I might be able to find a way to stay at my Dad's if I can just tell my mom I'm up for going there next week but I have plans with friends or some bullshit to keep me around...but I can't let my Dad know about me drying it up there...he usually doesn't go up there but just because it's around halloween, he might've forgot to get an electric jack-o-lantern for the kitchen or something stupid even after the house is decorated...I'm just hoping he won't but do you guys have any helpful ideas to minimize odor spreading? It's drying on the far side of the attic in a hard to see spot, I only need to worry about the stench really. I know I should respect house rules, but this was a last resort type of thing. Didn't have anywhere else I could really do it this year

7. won't smell to bad until you touch them unless its some super dank. you should just try and keep candles lit... spray a lot of smelly good stuff. luckily attics are usually insulated from the house so it should be ok. they don't need to hang long. you should only have to stress about it for a week at most.

you could also make sure you all eat burritos or something for a few days.... everybody will be making so much stink, it would cover up any smell...lol....

(the last suggestion was kind of a joke..)

8. Thanks for the candles suggestion! Real useful adivice...thanks a bunch. But I mean my attics pretty big, probably like the size of a fastfood restaurant. I suck at measuring rooms and don't really have the spare time for stuff likek that. I'm just wondering if the smell is going to stay more toward one side, or if even with the candles and spraying 1-2x per day it could smell all the way to the other side and toward the staircase leading up to the place. I doubt it if its only like an ounce or two drying but I've heard on here the smell of a fresh plant can be absolutely fucking ransid, not too sure though. It isn't crazy medical dank, but it's definetly got quality that I'd find acceptable good bud from seeing how it's developing on its 5th week of flowering from when I last visited her.

9. whew... its going to be like not seeing a girlfriend in a long time. don't hug too hard. when you harvest you will know how bad the smell will be and you will know if you need to take extra steps. good luck.

10. Haha. I started flowering August 7th, give or take a few days. It's really only been around a week since I've seen her but everytime I do it's hard not to hug at times, must admit :D. Thanks for everything, I'll let you guys know how it goes if your at all interested..If I need any advice I'll just ask on this forum. :wave:

11. thatguythat, when you said: "won't smell to bad until you touch them unless its some super dank" do you mean when I harvest the plant, or what? I'm hoping I can guess how bad it could smell upstairs by just giving her a sniff a few days prior to harvest while it's still finishing up. Please get back to me asap..I've been hearing from other forums with people with the same relative amounts of my grow that their entire houses get bombed with the reaking stench, I really can't have this. I have no idea what the fuck my parents would do if I was caught, but I'd probably rather throw out the entire harvest than get caught as sad and stupid as that could sound to some. I really need help with this so I can make a conclusion and not waste all the hard work I've put into this. Another idea, have any of you successfull dried your harvest outside? How? Thanks a lot for any feedback to even any one of these questions,
    Lovethew33d.

12. wait??? other forums?? those other ones are crap...lol... what i meant was you wont smell much... its still weed. your candles n stuff may help as long as you aren't touching them a lot. you can notice that now... stick your nose up to it. then touch it and smell it again. it will be really really bad during harvest.

13. Thanks so much for the posts and staying up to date with the forum, really appreciate the help. I don't mean to turn you away, or annoy you, but your last post still kinda has me confused.. By other forums, I mean I've been looking/posting all around just grasscity, not those other shitty forum sites haha. When you said: "what i meant was you wont smell much... its still weed." Do you mean while it's alive? You didn't really specifically state when it won't smell much, cause then you went on to say: "it will be really really bad during harvest"

Was also wondering about "your candles n stuff may help as long as you aren't touching them a lot. you can notice that now... stick your nose up to it. then touch it and smell it again" Will squeezing/rotating the buds on my drying rack increase how much smell they could put into the attic? And when you said I can notice it now, do you mean like I can tell how bad it will stink? Cause you said it will be reall really bad when I harvest...I just gotta know if it'll stink more once I chop her to dry.

Sorry for kinda not completely understanding a single sentence, but I'm just trying to get the facts absolutely, 100% straight. Can't be taking chances with this. Sorry, and Thanks so much! :hello:
    Lovethew33d

14. a lot of this will come from experience... they will smell... if you are not touching them during drying, it will not be as bad as if you are touching... when you smell the bud now and then touch it and smell it again, you will have a good reference of the difference. it won't be exactly what the harvest will smell like. i thought you would have already had them done by now. you said urgent questions about drying a week ago... so does that mean you have been drying for a week now? it sounds like you are worrying way too much about this... it will stink a lot during harvest so make sure you have a secure place to do this. then put them in the attic and leave them alone for a day... if you smell them, put them in a brown paper bag. that will help contain the smell a little... you will just have to play it by ear...

and yea... i was talking about other forums besides grass city...

15. I needed to call it urgent because I've asked about this without a "rushy" title to the forum, and no one helped me out. In a way it was urgent, cause if I didnt get some answers in the next 2 weeks at all, I'd have less than a few days to come up with a conclusion of my own. But as long as you think the smell will be contained in the attic, I think I'll be fine. Thanks

16. well... i feel a little deceived.

17. I am pretty worried though, got to admit haha. I think a little too much, just because I've heard stories about how it can reak in the whole house, but not from the attic now that I think about it. Just can't have that. I don't really think it's gonna be as bad as I'm hearing, so hopefully I'm just right

18. Haha. Sorry about the decieving, buddy. Never mean to lie, just needed help before I started to panic from running out of time :p