HELP!! Slide & bowl won't budge!

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by aebstract, May 30, 2009.

1. Someone just came over and I guess they don't smoke bongs... ever. So I think someone pushed my bowl and slide in really hard and I cannot budge them to pull out. Completely stuck, won't turn or do shit. I hope someone knows what I can do to get it out. I am kind of worried about breaking it if I try to hard.

[​IMG]

2. gonna sound kinda funky, but maybe get some type of (thin) oil, and run it around the joints, hoping that some will seep in between and free your bowl and stem...

3. I've tried that, it's now harder to get a grip on it but it hasn't loosened it any at all.

4. have you tried margarine or butter?

5. #5 Mr. Bill, May 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2009
    I would try heating the female joint and cooling the male joint. If you, for example, put a piece of ice in the slide and then put a lighter to the down stem, then that might cause the down stem to expand and the bowl to stay smaller. Idk how much glass expands/contracts when it is heated and cooled. Give that a try.

EDIT: Also, I know that what I am telling you wont make a crazy difference, but it will nevertheless make some sort of difference. When you try to pull them out, make sure u keep your hands (what I'm assuming you will pull with) as close to the joint as possible, as this will reduce any change of breakage. You should get them apart intact, I doubt they will break. But then again I cant feel it for myself so Idk.

6. I thought of this as well, by the laws of physics that should work, but i think the expansion will be very little and you'll have to snatch it out quick before the glass cools again and be very carefull.

7. ok well this is a really dumb idea, but maybe getting the bowl cold somehow would cause the glass to contract/shrink very slightly?????

only problem with this is, the stem would cool down shortly after, shrinking on the bowl....

8. fuck someone beat me to it =[

9. Well you wouldn't have to be quick about it at all. Depending on how long it takes for the heated slide to cool down, which if its appropriately hot should be about 30 seconds to 1 minute, you should not have to be quick. I would suggest wearing gloves (for the heat) and pull as straight as possible outwards. I wish I could try to fix it myself, because I feel like I could lol.

10. i would try heating it first to loosen the resin that has it stuck

if that doesnt work get 99% alcohol and try to pour it into the cracks this should help dissolve the resin that has it stuck

make sure you twist and pull gently and not to hard cause its easy to break the downstem

11. There should be no resin on the joints. He would have to have a wickedly dirty bong to have the outside joint of the slide to be resinated, or the downstem bowl and bong joint for that matter. None should be resinated. Your best bet is using a lubricant and heating and cooling.

12. it looks pretty resinated from the picture and thats what i based it off of since he doesnt have an ashcatcher that bong is going to be resinated the joint is bound to get a little resinated from water splash and smoking whenever i take out a downstem it always sticks alittle whenever my downstems are totally stuck 99% is all i use and maybe some hot water,

i dont like the idea of putting oil in my bong, same with the ice fire thing your just asking to crack your downstem or joint

13. I would respectfully disagree with that, but I won't argue it lol. He can decide whatever is best or try both.

14. iso alcohol, hot water, and keep pulling it lightly. it will slowly come loose

15. Uhh.. :D:eek::cool::rolleyes::) All I did was apply heat from a lighter for a minute or two and the bowl slid out.

:smoke::smoke:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. thank god the bong didn't break :hello:

17. hooray! i was worried for you man i would be pissed if someone jammed a slide in and it got stuck.

18. Wow I came into this thread like :( and left like :hello:

good stuff :smoking:

19. Jointlock is something we all experience once in a while. Keeping water off the joints will really decrease the chances of it happening.

The heat/cooling technique has always worked for me, sometimes it's really easy and other times I have to step my heat/cool game up. You just have to remember to never pull harder than your comfortable pulling.

Congrats on getting it apart man. Blaze...on!

20. Ah! Finally! I still hadn't gotten the slide out until just now. I saw a video where someone tapped a screw driver in to the bump at the top of it and it popped it out. I thought I was getting nowhere doing it but when I grabbed the slide it had been loosened :D I was about to break it and go get a new one :( Now maybe I can get an ashcatcher instead of having to get a new slide. Time to add a little color to my piece :smoking: