Help, sick plant, leaves are dying

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by FineKine09, Aug 7, 2010.

1. I have a nine day old plant that is showing some discoloration on the leaves. Or actually the affected parts of the leaves are just dying, like a leaf that has fallen off a plant. the brown spots are crackly like a dead leaf but the rest of the leaf is ok. This problem started yesterday and the brown spots are getting bigger or "spreading." It is just on one plant out of 5 so logic tells me its not a bug or else the other plants would likely be affected.

I water every 3 days and mist once in between waterings. im using fox farms soil and have not added any nutrients. my ph is around 6.6. i keep my cfl lights about 2 inches away from top of plants. the humidity hovers around 40 with lows of 30 and highs of 50. the temps are lows of 77 and highs of 87, but it stays at 83ish most of the time. plant is nine days old, and hasnt shown any other problems. if fact its one of the fastest growing of the 5

Thanks for any help! :wave:

2. ummm... BUMP!

I applied some neem oil to the plant. i dont know if this will do anything to fix the sickness problem. hopefully it wont kill the plant... it should at least take care of the bugs i had.

does anyone have an idea what is making my plant sick???

3. i like big BUMPS and i can not lie, you other brothas cant deny, when a girl walks in with a itty bitty waist and a round thing in yo face you get SPRUNG!

4. #4 Freakbro1, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010

I must admit - Im stumped...

Your conditions sound perfect.

Are u positive u never spilled anything on the plant ???

Wait a minute...it looks like old damage.
    When the seedling emerged thru the soil, did it get scraped, or wuz the husk still on ??? I'll bet thats it dude.

Freak

5. +rep for the first responder. :hello: but no its not damage from a seed casting or anything. this emerged after the leaves were already developed. and it is spreading.

im thinking its a deficiency or nute burn or some kind of parasite. so basically it could be anything... but if someone can identify it that would be very helpful b.c about 4 people are having this problem right now. the thing all those grows have in common is fox farms soil, so i think that narrows it down to nute burn or deficiency... :rolleyes:

here are some better pics. and note that it starts as spots of yellowing and then progresses to burnt, cracking spots

6. OK.

Your Ph is bang on...

Maybe try bringing it down .5 and observe :confused:.

Freak
    :smoke:

7. so the burn is spreading to new leaves on the plant. but the plant is still growing well. lots of new foliage.

someone on another thread suggested it was N burn. does this sound plausible?

someone has got to know what this is

8. OK.

Have u brought the Ph down a bit ???

Freak
    :smoking:

9. I got a feelin its almost gettin time for a flush man.

Freak
    :smoking:

10. ok this is going to sound stupid but i think i figured out what the problem was. my ph meter doesnt work... its the type in the pic. DO NOT BUY THIS TYPE OF METER. i bought it years ago for a grow i did. maybe it just broke during moving but it doesnt work now. it only flutters around 7.0. the needle jumps to .5 below or above that but it always levels out at 7.0.

i got a ph testing kit for $5 (the dropper type) at wallmart and found out that the tap water i was watering with had a ph of 7.6 or above!! :eek: so i used some white vinegar to lower the ph to about 6.2 and did a small flush (about 40% runoff). the runoff tested at ~7.0. hopefully this will help. im starting to think that one of my plants wasnt growing as fast as the others b.c it was was stunted by high ph.

so thanks for the help freakbro. i think the plants will be fine b/c most of them are pretty big and healthy for their age.