Help Sexing indoor grow.....

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Midwest energy, May 7, 2018.

1. #1 Midwest energy, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Hey y'all, I have dabbled a little but it's been many years.....anyway I have 4 plants about 9 weeks from seed and another about 4 weeks(this one strangely popped out a full month after the rest but going strong for a little girl/boy). So yes, regular seeds grown in a 4x2 tent, 300w led plus some led and cfl bulbs to fill dark spots. Topped 3 and fim'd 1 about 10 days ago, started LST about 5 days ago.....

Two main questions:
    1. Can anyone help me sex these 4(see pics)
    2. Can I flip light schedule to induce flowering or is there just cause to wait

Attached Files:

2. Well, it would help if we knew if you bought fem seeds, or regular seeds.

Yes, you can flip the timer to 12/12 to see what the sex is. Another way of doing this is to take a clone, and then after it gets roots, put them in your flower room/tent (if you have one; which you probably don't), and then flip the timer to 12/12 just to see.

Personally, I hope you don't plan on flowering them any time soon, as they're really small & you won't get shit for a yield; even with "that many" plants. Another thing: you need a bigger tent/light. CFL's are fucking trash, as is the space that you have to grow in. You do realize that if you(when you) flip those to flower, they're going to take over that small ass tent, really fast. If you were smart, the best thing you could do is incorporate a SCROG. That's the
    best way to utilize a very small space, with a decent amount of plants.

By the way: keep topping, and keep topping more. Those plants are super small, and like I said, you'll have shit for a yield. I don't get some of you guys that spend all this time/money to grow small plants. It's pointless. Instead of having 10x plants of 10x strains, why not just take 1-2 plants and fill the space up that you have? It's pointless to have that many plants in such small shit space. You're going to kick yourself in the ass after the 10-14 day stretch at the beginning of flower. I know I said that once already, but I really mean that. Also, another thing: instead of using a cheap/shitty 300w LED, you would greatly benefit with a bigger light, that's not an LED. A single 600, maybe even a dimmable 1k HPS would suit you very well. Air cooled hoods & filters/fans make shit like this a breeze.

Next time: plan your grow, don't just throw shit in there. You'll thank me (maybe yourself, too) later.

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 Midwest energy, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Well then, constructive criticism I suppose...

Anyhow, these are bag seeds I gathered from stains I like, thus I have not wholly invested in the grow process. That said, with the likelihood of there being at least one, probably more, males in the mix they will not all remain in my small shitty grow space. I fully intend to upgrade lighting, buy quality seeds and likely a better grow space once I can successfully harvest something. Unfortunately I don't have the resources to go all out but I can try

No doubt, it's my first try, I'll kick myself more than once....likely I won't be thanking you for much after rereading this a couple times.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don’t stress too much man, that guys seems like a wanker, he’s right on most points, but the condescending tones weren’t needed. Maybe he’s trying to compensate for something he lacks in his life by acting superior on this post? Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. One relatively small investment to make are some fabric pots (5 gallon are good..3 gallon if necessary),.
    The plants need up potting now and fabric pots are great for air pruning and hard to overwater too..
    Here is the best site I have found for growing tips.
    growweedeasy.com (free of course as is her newsletter)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Next grow, you can put holes in those cheapo nursery pots and make DIY air pots..serves the same purpose (air pruning) , easy and cheap..I have actually flowered a clone in one, to teat it with a feminizing agent..never became root bound either!
    air pot 2.JPG

7. Hey man, beautiful plants you've got there. They've got a nice green healthy look to them.

So, regarding your first question I would like to focus my opinion based on looking at your pictures and what I can take from them.

With that being said, in them I could not tell the sex of your plants. I am assuming that is because they have yet to show their preflowers and therefore when you do flip(being soon?), that should force them to show their sex.

Maybe if you could possibly take a few photos at the internodes, this could make it a tad bit easier to help someone here identify the signs you seek. It's just kind of hard to tell from above the canopys.

For question number two, can you flip now or do you have to wait? The answer is a bit skewed by everyone's own opinion on when the best time would be to flip, but simplify put anytime is suitable. It's really when ever you feel best or if you have limited space, then maybe an early flower can help maximize the space you do have. The reality is that the smaller your plant is at the start of the flowering stage, then the smaller the yield. That seems logical right haha? :)

As for the whole male/female predicament, you could always find out what your ratio is(how many plants are of both sex). Then you could cut clones off the females to continue growing and supplying your needs.

Have you thought about maybe even make room somewhere isolated and breeding a male and female plant to replenish your seed stock. It'll be good experience too and help maybe create some bag seed offspring that are more delectable? Who knows what you'll come up with in the F1 and F2 populations. Possibly a few keepers. :smoke:

Either way you turn, I believe you will manage just fine. If anything you can pick back up where you left off and gain some helpful insights for the next grow. Of course later on when you get more room and a better set up you'll be even more successful.

Good luck on your journey and happy growing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. So, they were herms, or shitty mexican brick weed seeds. Gotcha. None of the things that I mentioned that you should buy are "too expensive". The one thing that you MUST HAVE, more than ANY of that shit is a pH/PPM pen. If you don't invest in that, you just need to stop growing, take all the shit down, kill the plants & don't try again, until you are ready to do it right. pH/PPM IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART! I'll tell you this: 6.3 pH is THE pH to use. With this, EVERY nutrient is available to the plant. Don't argue with me, because you can't. I'm a hydro grower, and have some of, if not the best looking plants you'll ever see. It took me years to really figure this out. Trial and error. Although, if you listen to someone like me, you'll be able to do it right the first time. Growing is a science. It's not hard. It's all about numbers & patience. Learn to read the plant. It will tell you literally everything that you need to know.

What do you define as "quality seeds", as most of the seeds/websites that you're probably looking at to buy seeds from are from nothing but pollen chunkers. You NEED to buy true QUALITY genetics. ie: OG Raskal, Ocean Grown, and others from true west coast growers. Not the shit you see on Herbies, or The Vault, etc. You're going to pay, and pay dearly for true genetics. There is a reason you find "cheap" seeds on sites like I just mentioned.
    You don't have to thank me, but you'll realize i'm right.

9. Not here to start an argument..But OP CAN get good genetics from well known seedbanks like The Vault in the UK. For the most part..Barneys, G13 labs, DNA Genetics, Sweet Seeds, Old World Genetics (DJ Short). You will also see these seed banks carry US breeders as well as others. Check their ratings before using anyone..I recommend the bigger Breeders, since they provide the info that new growers need..ie: Type
    effects, growing conditions, time of flower etc.

Greenpoint Seeds In Colorado is also excellent and has amazing sales (they are the breeder and the seedbank). Honest, great genetics etc..and I Got their beans on Black Friday sales and 4/20 sales for about $4 each (regs). Their CS is top shelf and their gear is also available on the overseas sites.

OP's pots look like they have soil so soil PH should VARY between 6.2-6.8 with the sweet spot about 6.7.
    Soil PH is not as critical as soil less since the soil will buffer the ph.
    AND PH pens always go out of wack..cheap or expensive. I use one, but also have the old fashioned GH PH drops kit to keep things right..and to check the pen's calibration at least monthly..CHEMISTRY DOESN'T LIE!!
    Keep these for the future and note where the soil PH lies.;)
    ph chart.jpg ph chart.png

• Like Like x 3
  10. Then maybe we should make a thread with nothing but "real true genetics" so everyone can know n get the chance at them just a thought

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  11. #11 JohnnyEvergreen, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    @NoMidZone

This is about helping others in a orderly and friendly fashion. Though your knowledge is appreciated, this individual is just asking for tips and pointers and I could sense a little aggressiveness in your tone lol.

Also you do know that just because they are bag seeds, does not always necessarily mean they are shit seeds or brick weed? They could most definitely be quality seeds from a plant that wasn't grown with care or the bud could have not been cured properly resulting in a bad impression apon the supposed plant. As well as it could just be a bad phenotype of the original breeding pair.

On top of that, he may be growing several due to the fact that they are bag seeds. So one has to configure how that will effect the sex ratio. Say he grew 2 plants and waited a few weeks to clone and determine sex. Then it it turns out they were male, well then he'll have to start back over and go at it again.

Yet if he starts 5-6 and 4 end up male, but he gets 2 females(through flipping or cloning+flip) then he won't be losing as much time. So I can see the benefits of growing multiple plants even though the area isn't as large as it could be.

The seeds may produce more favorable characteristics than the original bud too. That's the fun in bag seeds, you never know what you'll get in return. When added with TLC the sky's the limit.

Although from a time and effort perspective I do see your point at why having smaller quantities of plants that are bigger in volume and how it proves benifical. That's just a lot easier said than done when it comes to seeds you have no idea what the outcome of sex could be.

And as @Buzzer777 has pointed out, it does appear these are soil grown plants.

I'm just wondering since I've yet to PH my soil, should I throw my tent in the front yard, cut down my plant, and hang up growing for good? Certainly not.

PH is of course very important and I won't argue there but with the right know how and focusing on how the plants are reacting to their environment, you can sense when you are getting problems.

Just my opinions as always. Take them how you wish. You guys have a great night.

@Midwest energy May Gaia bless your garden and your hard work be repaid with bountiful knowledge and a joyous harvest.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Thanks for the helpful and friendly advice Johnny

You are correct about my reasoning, not to mention I wasn't absolutely sure they would all sprout....they all came from quality recreational purchased from licensed stores in the evergreen state. Hawaiian punch x2, Clementine and Larry OG for sure, one is a surprise.

For the record, I do have Ph/ec/ppm pens and check levels daily, I use good clean soil with no additives, I feed with correct doses of advanced nutes....I understand what plants do and how they do it. Johnny is correct, really looking for pointers, I see lots of pictures of other plants....they all look the same but different. Getting opinions on my plants is why I posted. Just like every plant is different, so is every grower....when I'm looking to get useful advice for my next grow I'll probably post in the grow setup section, just sayin'

@JohnnyEvergreen that bit about hanging it up, funny shit man!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Been learning good stuff from groweedeasy.com and I'm going to start moving them into my 3gal fabric pots tomorrow....forgot to mention I had those

• Like Like x 1
  14. I was a bit fearful of trying to clone on my trial and error run but it's not hard I just need to create another spot to get the cycle going...

• Like Like x 1
  15. lookin good Midwest,
    grow em out, fill the space, and then flip to 12/12, in 1-2 wks you can throw out the males!
    to fill the 2x4 will require more light, 240-320 true watts of LED or 400-600 watts of HID

• Like Like x 1
  16. A week later, thinking I'll take clones in preparation for the flip, still not sure on sex but at least 1 male. Hopefully in time I can catch them, before the balls burst, then I can pull the matching clones(maybe in 2-4 weeks).

Any helpful info or words of encouragement greatly appreciated! 20180513_235919.jpg 20180513_235836.jpg 20180513_235829.jpg 20180513_235851.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Just watch daily..When you are positive, you can cull the males. The sacs won't open that soon after forming..Here is a TRUE male that I flowered to get his pollen from (separate room, separate tent..) I think he was about 4 weeks in at that shot and notice the sacs have not opened (shortly thereafter they did!)
    He really was a good looking dude too..LOL
    IMG_0969.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. He looks nice and healthy, good green!

• Like Like x 1
  19. About 10-11 weeks from seed, still not showing....not seeing any balls yet anyway, I'll be shocked if they're all female. They seem to be growing nicely, have been keeping a net over the top to even out canopy, removed for pics. So far I've topped twice and taken cuttings for clones. I'll scrap or move males outside when I find them 20180519_073312.jpg 20180519_073241.jpg 20180519_073222.jpg 20180519_073214.jpg 20180519_073204.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Any noticable sex on them yet?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk