PC Help setting up extra router as extender, WiFi and lan?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Q_17, May 2, 2021.

1. Can any one help me use my extra isp provided router as a second/extended WiFi and LAN ports

2. Yooooo bro this is Grass City. We are stoners here bro not tech nerds

3. Ahahahaahahah figured a gamer in here might know.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ask your ISP if they do wireless boosters for WiFi signal

5. And why not? I dont get it.

@Q_17 - why dont you ask in here:

Silicon (v)Alley

J

• Like Like x 1
  6. So are you trying to insinuate that someone who smokes weed can't be a computer genius or work at the cable company man!! Come on..

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sorry to tell you op but I don't know at all what your talking about. Hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  8. As someone mentioned before, this would be bettered asked in the Silicon Valley topic. But luckily what you are trying to achieve is not very hard and there are plenty of online info to help guide you. As long as you are a little comfortable with networking and follow instructions you should be just fine. From what i gathered from your post is that you want to turn your old router into another access point which you will achieve by bridging your router to your current one. This article does a pretty good job of explaining and walking you through what you need to do to achieve that. Plus it also offers other options you can look into if this method isn’t what you need, How to Extend Your Wifi Network With an Old Router

Happy networking OP! :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Thank you for the right direction I missed that thread!

• Like Like x 1
  10. They don’t other then recommending a third party extender.
    Trying to use what I have. I need the extended WiFi for the cameras and more ports for the PlayStations lol

11. Thank you. I will check it out. I dove into it via a few guides the other day and ended up with no internet for hours. LOL thank god for LTE don’t know what the family would have done any longer.
    I went and changed things I shouldn’t have.

But I fixed it, I have no knowledge of this shit other then YouTube or google. LOL so this is truly fun... NOT. But I love to learn. Waiting for the damn baby to get here nothing else to do on maternity leave.

• Like Like x 1
  12. You cannot do what you want with a standard wifi router. Some will operate in what is called bridge mode, but they require an Ethernet connection, meaning you would have to wire it to your first router, and it would essentially create a second network. If you want to extended the range of your current wifi, buy an extender. I have one of these that I use when traveling to boost week hotel wifi signals and it works very well.

This one is more expensive but should be a bit faster.

13. Yeah I think just an extender is probably what you should get

14. Appreciate the help guys. After messing with IPDNS servers, subnet mask, losing Internet for some time. I learned what not to do, LOL and just going to buy some thing like a night Hawk here soon

15. I’ve got a big house an when COVID hit in 2020 my kids moved back home. One of them has a job that lets him work from home but he needs a good internet connection. I bought a WiFi extender that uses the house’s electric wiring as a LAN. You then buy as many output ports as you like that plug in to any outlet in your house. Those ports you can plug into directly via LAN line (cat 5 cable) or they broadcast WiFi. The only issue with these extenders is that each extender creates its own WiFi network. So if you use exclusively WiFi on a device it will have to log into each WiFi network as you move around your house/area covered. This isn’t a huge problem but it could cause you to log off of something you are doing if you move around to different parts of your house a lot.