Help, Seedlings growing slow?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by djh094, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Hi all, first time grower here, hope you can help. I’m using a 600w hps dual spectrum lamp, my temps are 31.8 degrees c on a cool night & when it’s hot during the day they can reach 33 degrees c, humidity 37%, less during the day. I have 4 autoflower stardawgs in 4 5l air pots, I think I might have under-watered them as they seem to be growing slowly. It has been 9 days since they sprouted. I originally had them in pint size cups to germinate. I’m using bio bizz all mix and spraying them with ph 7.8 bottled water and have lightly watered the pots a few times as the soil seems to dry out really quickly, I’ve ordered a cool tube and a 6” intake fan to try and get my temps down, plus a small portable humidifier/cooler with 2 1litre ice packs in it to accompany the small desk sized humidifier which is in there currently and needs refilling every couple hours .. if anyone has used them, are they any good? How often will I have to change the ice? Also why is it that the plants seem to be stunted? I have an open window and a 5 inch intake fan blowing cool air in, a good carbon filter sucking hot air out, a tower fan rotating constantly and a stationary desk fan pointed just above the plants. They were also a bit leggy before I transplanted but I set them a bit deeper in the 5l pots and lowered the light slightly. If anyone has any tips on what I’m doing right/wrong that would be much appreciated please. I have left some pics.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. In the second and second to last pic, you can see that they're heat stressed. They almost look crispy and burnt along the sides where the leaves are curling up to try and fend off the heat. In which case I'd say the heat is stunting them. Can't really say as I have any advice, seems like you're already looking into alleviating the heat issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ok thanks I will try and get the temps down and see how they get on. I will update this thread as they progress. Thanks for your information.

4. Next time start with much smaller pots(solo cups), once good root system in cups got 1 gallon pots, once those root system is awesome go to to 5 gal or 7 gal pots(of course this is for photo seeds((2-3 gal pots from the very beginning if autoflowers)). I did the same as you at first and went to finish pots and had slow bad yielding grow. Changed my ways to those who had nice room and bud pics on here and now truly believe in transplanting twice. The root systems grow massive and get better plants in the end. Dont be shy with them, they are resisliant as hell, I've straight knocked over seedling cups in my room being too stoned and put embark and dirt and yielded fine in the end. I also learned and will pass on is.....less water is so much more, they grow faster when they want it instead of having them always wet; you can always add more of something the next day or a few hours later but you can never undo your doings. I learned the hard way, lots of good advice here on this site.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. Thanks I will bare that in mind if I decide to try out non auto flowering seeds, I actually have some that were free which I’m going to try and experiment with. With regards to these particular seeds they are auto flowering and I heard you go straight to final pot with them? Obviously I didn’t do this and have since transplanted them, I don’t think I have stressed them out too much I made sure I was very careful. Hopefully once my portable cooler and cool tube for the hps arrives tomorrow I can get the temps down and hopefully they start growing faster.

6. I've had pretty good luck with these Petemoss cups and autos if you dont like solo cups and transplanting these work well .
    Raise your light up your fan speed .[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Not with Auto's

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Yep not with autos

• Like Like x 1
  9. I don't know how the myth about not transplanting autos got started, but even Mephisto, who specializes in quality autos, recommends starting in solo cups and transplanting.

• Like Like x 3
  10. #10 throwaway69420, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    It's not a myth, it's just common sense and rings true with most autos. Less transplanting = less stress for the plant. Autos don't do well with stress as their life cycle is so short that even small or moderate amounts can hurt the yield.

If you want a higher yield for an auto run 24 hours of light and try to perfect every little detail of the environment so that it stresses as little as possible.

I would always start autos in a 3 Gallon as that is more than likely what they will fill comfortably (depending on the strain)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Then please explain to me why one of the major breeders of autos recommend starting their seeds in smaller containers and transplanting. I guess they don't have any common sense. ;)

12. This wasn’t intended to be a debate guys .. however you are all entitled to your opinion but please I would prefer key points relating to the post only.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The debate started when you responded to the advice given by another poster suggesting to start in smaller pots. You and two other posters made posts indicating you shouldn't transplant when growing autos. I was merely conveying information from a reputable breeder that you may find useful.

Your seedlings are growing slow for two reasons - too large of a pot to start in and lack of oxygen to the roots. You need a lot more perlite if you want fast growth.

Good luck with your grow. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yeah because only mickfosters opinion matters .
    This guy is a negative energy .

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. You want to chat about autos positive people and positive results .
    Come over to https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_tid=1541786&share_fid=78765&share_type=t

• Like Like x 1
  16. #16 MickFoster, Jul 4, 2019
    Not my opinion my friend. It's the opinion of Mephisto. I have only grown autos a few times and I always transplanted without a problem. Seems to me that the advice given by the breeder would take precedent over the opinions of mostly amateur growers on an open forum. :)

I apologize to the OP. In the future I'll try not to respond to these types of remarks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. They're not myths as such, just general rules of thumb. It could be that you transplanted fine, no shock etc, but it IS a risk, and you SHOULD be informed of the possible consequences before taking said risk. Some people are a little over zealous about these rules though. Experiment to your hearts content and find what works for you, but do be aware, be very aware :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Experimenting is what it's all about ,
    This auto is taking good to topping , cropping and LST .
    I did start in a small peat cup though .

New paths are paved by the plows of willingness [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. #20 throwaway69420, Jul 4, 2019
    Do you believe everything you read the first time you read it? That's a flimsy way to learn in my opinion. There are plenty of successful people in the cannabis industry that are doing things wrong so that's a moot point.

Don't trust anyone but science in this industry because it hasn't even gotten started yet. Seriously! There is very little to no heavily funded, scientifically backed information on the cultivation of cannabis because we are still in the earliest stages of the ground floor even after decades.

So no, I don't trust any one individual's approaches or opinions.

• Agree Agree x 1