Help! Roots out of control!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by CoRupTcloset, Oct 14, 2009.

1. My baby fiiiiiinally decided to show her sex after (i kid you not) 1 month of 12/12. Well she has literally tripled in size since i switched her to 12/12. The pistols are very well pronounced and its on its way but i have a big problem. Ive translplanted this bitch 3 times already. This is my first grow and i was unaware of the size these beasts can get. Its just bag seed and i have no idea as to what strain it could be. But it i feel like i can sit there and watch the damn thing grow... Every morning i wake up and have to move my cfls up because its grown another half inch higher and you im trying to keep the lights close to it. Anyways.. so the last transplant i was hoping would be the final one. Its in a 5 gallon bucket from Lowes and i just did it a week ago. The bucket sits in a little basin with room for the water to drain out and be caught since i drilled holes in the bottom of the bucket. When i went to dump out the water at the bottom (because i was about to rewater it) my roomate pointed out that i already had about 10 inches of roots hanging from the bottom just sitting in the water... My damn plant decided overnight it wanted to be half soil and half hyrdoponic i guess.... So what do i do? Do i let it be and keep water at the bottom or do i transplant it again?? And into what?? A rubermaid bin??? This thing just keeps growing..

2. The 5 gallon bucket should be fine (for any indoor plant).
    The reason you have roots coming out the bottom of the pot is because of the run-off water/nutrient solution lying in the basin. The pot/bucket shouldn't ly in stagnant water/nutrients.
    If you keep the bottom of the pot dry, the air will prune roots from exiting the pot. Making the roots search elsewhere for water/food.

3. You can also trim the roots. This involves removing the roots/soil from the pot and (using a saw) trimming a couple inches off all sides and the bottom, then replanting in the same pot with some new soil to make up the difference. Shouldn't be necessary unless you're bonzai-ing a clone mother, but maybe just a really weedy strain (google info on bonzai technique for mothers for more info about this).

I wouldn't do this if you're into flowering at all.