HELP rDWC setup!!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Letsgetbakedbro, Nov 16, 2018.

1. So if anyone has seen my posts before, they have an idea of my setup.

Quick summary:
    3x3 tent about 6-7ft high
    400-600 watt HPS light
    4 inch fan, 4inch carbon filter, 4 inch ducting
    4 DWC 5 gallon buckets
    2 strain autoflowers (blackberry & critical orange punch)
    110 GPH per bucket (oxygen)
    2 stones each bucket
    GH tri nutrients
    Calmag
    Ph/ppm/temp meter
    Temp/humidity meter

Ok I think I listed most.
    NOW I know many told me no SCROG which I will prolly not do & just LST & cut some leaves most likely.
    While getting advice, I got suggested I do a rDWC.

My question is, how do I set up an rDWC ?

I know how it’s all laid out. My problem are as follows:

1. How do I set up the water pump (main res)?

2. I pump water to the 4 buckets, but what does the bottom piping do?

3. I can do 2 strains, 2 buckets each right?

4. How often do I change res? Do I top it or clean and put new water & nutrients?

5. Do water level ever go down ?

6. Is SCROG still a bad idea? Or can I get away with SCROG now as I don’t need to go into the tent & lift plants to Change res water.

I have these questions cause while you can find out what rDWC is, no one seems to show exactly how to set one up. Kinda feel like you get a bit of info to get you to ask to buy one pre built.

Main info I need is how to setup up the pump & if I need anything else since I get how the water gets to the buckets just not 100% on how the water goes back to main reservoir. Main res will also be out of tent so I don’t have to go into tent much.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. You will get many different and potentially conflicting opinions. Here are mine.

My question is, how do I set up an rDWC ?
    I know how it’s all laid out. My problem are as follows:
    1. How do I set up the water pump (main res)?
    2. I pump water to the 4 buckets, but what does the bottom piping do?
    There exist complete rDWCsystems that you can buy. Current Culture has lots of them.
    A less popular alternative to individual buckets and/or recirculation is a single, large reservoir of 5+ gallons per plant. Then there aren't any hoses to clog, or plumbing to leak.

Whatever you do, make sure adding and removing water are very easy to do.

3. I can do 2 strains, 2 buckets each right?
    You can do as many different strains as you want. Every bucket/site can have a different strain. I do 4 different strains in a 3 x 3, but it's overcrowded, and some plants are taller than others, and get different amounts of light.

Depending on genetics, you might have a height problem. I've got a dinafem auto white widow XXL that is 6 feet tall. I didn't expect that height, and next time I'll have to top it. Unless your strains are short, you might have to do the same. With 4 plants in a 3 x 3 there will likely be a thick jungle, with no place to bend colas that are growing into the lights.

4. How often do I change res? Do I top it or clean and put new water & nutrients?
    As often as you want. Most people change it every 1-2 weeks, but I've heard of people never changing it.
    Top off with whatever solution makes the reservoir closer to the value you want it to have after the top-off. For example, a 10 gal reservoir that is 1 gal low with 390 ppm, and you want 400 ppm, then add enough nutrient to make 90 ppm (to raise ppm to 400) + 400 ppm (to replace the missing gal), or a total of 490 ppm in 1 gal water. You'll need to concoct a reference gal to learn how to produce that ppm.
    A different strategy that I use is to empty about 10% each day, replace it with fresh solution, and never completely empty the reservoir until harvest.

5. Do water level ever go down ?
    As the plants eat and drink, water level will fall.

6. Is SCROG still a bad idea? Or can I get away with SCROG now as I don’t need to go into the tent & lift plants to Change res water.
    SCROG is neither good nor bad, but I'd recommend only leaf tucking and spreading out branches instead, unless height is a problem. Without height constraints, this amounts to a christmas tree shaped SCROG.

I have these questions cause while you can find out what rDWC is, no one seems to show exactly how to set one up. Kinda feel like you get a bit of info to get you to ask to buy one pre built.
    Most people don't want to tackle something this complex that has little or no advantage over a simple DWC setup.
    KISS is the best strategy.
    If I were starting over, and didn't crave variety, then I'd grow 2 plants in a GeneralHydroponics Ecogrower in a 2 ft x 4 ft x 8 ft tent. Either that or coco coir instead of hydro.

Main info I need is how to setup up the pump & if I need anything else since I get how the water gets to the buckets just not 100% on how the water goes back to main reservoir. Main res will also be out of tent so I don’t have to go into tent much.

3. Go on YouTube and there's a few guys that show how to set it up, but it's really simple. Bcarnaze gave some good advice. You can put your water pump in the reservoir or outside of it. Everyone will tell you that having it submerged will raise the temp of your nutrient solution, but I'm not convinced that it's that big a deal. My reservoir is a 25 gallon Coleman cooler. I'm using a 400 gph water pump for 2 5 gallon buckets. I use a 1/2 inch line to fill the buckets and a 1 inch pvc for return line. Counterculture is a cool system for sure, but outrageously expensive for something that can be built for less than $100.
    You can change the nutrient solution every day if you want, but the beauty of RDWC is LESS nutrient changes. I changed mine every 2-3 weeks, while topping off with ph'd water when needed. For initial fill I'd add water, nutes, then ph the solution to 5.5-ish then let it swing up to 6.5 before I'd add more nutes. Seemed to work well for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Lol I don’t want to buy as most places are charging almost $500 per setup while I can use best parts and still save from those $500 if I build my own.

And what do you mean by less popular way, you mean individual buckets/container correct?

I want to run the main res (container) outside of tent as air will be cold and keep res temps down, & connect 4 buckets inside the tent.

I see you say that 4 is crowded , would you say 2 main plants would be better than 4 plants? Would they yield the same give or take? I’m just worried as autos might give me very little (don’t want any seeds that give 1oz/plant lol) so my mind thinks 4 would work out better but if 2 will run better I’ll keep it at 2 buckets.

This will be my first grow, so I want to run autos after I’ll just stick with short flower fem strains. rDWC for higher yield, option to SCROG if needed & don’t have to go into the tent as often controlling res from out the tent. I plan when I put the 2nd tent get a bigger container , keep in in the middle of both tents & run everything with one big res.

Thanks for you reply !

5. I spent hours from 7pm until 3-4am trying to find a proper YouTube video lol!!

I’m not retarded as I get the whole setup, just the WATER pump got me a bit confused & the return pipes.

No pump for return pipes correct? It’s just connect all buckets back to the main reservoir correct?

For the pump, just submerge in main reservoir & run the main tubing/pipe back out to each bucket right? I see most videos show the pump connections at the top of buckets let water pour into the bucket, is that correct?

That’s all I really need explained for some reason that has got me puzzled lol!!

So my res I can just keep topping, once Grow is finished wash the containers & connect everything again? I think I’d rather be topping the water than disconnecting to wash res in-between the grow.

Thanks for you reply

Ps, also if you can explain how to connect the pump, would be great lol!
    Drop pump in water, connect tubing, connect back to buckets , that’s all?

6. Yeah that's it. Pump inside res, tubing going to each bucket, pvc (or whatever) from bottom side of buckets to res. Here's a pic of what I recommend you use to connect your pvc to buckets and reservoir. [​IMG]

7. Sorry I suck at taking pictures

8. Here's a pic that might help[​IMG]

9. Another one [​IMG]

10. Just my opinion, but I think 4 is doable just going to be crowded. Granted guys that use soil get more plants in a 4×4 tent but to each their own. I only had 2 in mine because I had to move from a 2×3×5 tent in my basement to the 4×4×6.5 in my garage , but those 2 plants filled the tent. I think I'm going to stick with 2 buckets unless I do auto flowers, then I might try 4. Hope all this helps.

11. Ahhh!! Exactly what I was looking for!!

The pics are amazing lol no worries ! They show exactly what I need & you also explained what I needed to know!!

I’ve been told a lot on this forum that for my space 2 is optimal, 4 good but not @ peak performance. I’m gunna take your advice and cut down buckets to 2 hopefully my autos grow as much as possible haha!!

For your tubing/pipe, can both mainline from pump & return line both be the same size or one smaller than the other?

Also your setup looks bomb, great job!! exactly what I’m gunna have setup once everything I ordered arrives!!

If not too much of a hassle, you got pics of when your tent is full?

& what kind of lights you run in that space & average yields ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Also, I noticed you have a cooler, reason for this? Would it be for temps or you happen to want to use it?

13. Used the cooler to help keep reservoir temperatures in check as my setup is in a garage with no HVAC system, but I had to get a chiller also.
    As far as your main/feed lines go you want to have your return lines bigger so you dont overflow the buckets. Mine are 1/2 inch feed line, 1 inch return.
    I've only grown one batch so far and it wasn't a record setting run lol. Only got 3.1 oz (dried) from the 2 plants. But I had a host of weather problems and then the power was shut off to my garage which caused mold to grow, so I harvested what I could.
    As far as lighting I'm using a 1000w HID in a 6" cool tube.
    Didn't take any pics of the plants, sorry.

14. I've been thinking about Hempy Buckets, Auto Pots, Octo Pots, and r-dwc.
    Something that's far less work than the DWC I've been doing.
    I finally decided that rdwc is the simplest of these for me, and ordered the HydroWest Aquabucket system for the BlackFri price of $210.
    The Original AquaBuckets 6 Site Deep Water Culture (DWC) Hydroponic System
    Most other systems I've seen are $500-$1000, but might be better made.

As far as I can tell before receiving this, it uses a water pump to top feed all the buckets, the top feed water causes the individual bucket fluid levels to rise higher than the 5 Gal reservoir's fluid level, so water flows from the bottoms of the buckets along pvc pipe back to the res until all levels are equal.

I'll be adding a float valve and a 25 gal res to feed the 5 gal small res.

I might change my mind after getting my hands dirty with this, but it seems like rdwc is the easiest way to grow, if you're comfortable with pH and ppm pens.

Another simplifying factor is that I've switched to the 1 part nute Greenleaf Megacrop, that is exactly the same from seed to harvest, with no bloom foods, boosters, elixirs, CalMag, etc needed.

15. This your first grow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. A pump has a return RDWC is Recirculating Deep Water Culture. Done much research? That’s the most basic part of the system
    Www.growweedeasy.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk