Help Quartz nail wont stop smoking

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by GreenMarine420, Mar 12, 2018.

1. What is with these quartz bangers I dont understand how people are able to use these things please give me some tips here. I have been vaping concentrates for 3 or 4 years now and the only nails I have owned have all been Titanium e nail because I hate using a torch. I have gone through 5 or 6 vape pens and tried probably another 5 or 6, some are great and some are crap. ( puffco plus by far the worst vape pen I have tried, Shatter Blaster is my fav so far with sub ohm box mod at around 16w-20w) A vape pen with good clean quality atomizer taste just fine to me, and I find using a vape pen gets me just as high as dabs, obviously if you do a 0.5g dab you will get higher than a small few hits from a vape pen but they work and taste great and IMO its way better than using a torch.

I am staying at a friends place for a few days and lastnight we ran into another friend and long story short he gave me his rig because he hates dabbing. This rig is sweet but it has a quartz banger but I have only used one a few times. After cleaning it the best I could I heated the nail for about 40 seconds with a decent torch on med and let it cool down for about 15 seconds did my dab ( rosin ) and got a bit of a hit but nothing crazy. I looked in the bowl and instead of it being a pool of liquid it had burnt and made more black carbon. Obviously it was too hot ok so I heat it up to try again and now carbon burning , the bowl wont stop smoking. ok I burn off all the carbon and by the way im doing small dabs not big ones. I tried again and this time it did liquify and pool in the bottom but must have been not hot enough because it didnt produce any vape. ok so i try to heat it up to try another dab but the left over oil starts smoking and burning turns black and burnt and now we back to square one with black burnt bowl that doesnt stop smoking and when i try to do a dab it just doesnt produce much vapour so I freaked out and did a dab with hot knives and BOOM good old hot knives burst into a cloud of vapour with a tiny dab and taste is amazing like my Titanium e nail so why do people use the quartz nails and how do you use them because this thing is garbage if you ask me

2. ..bangers need to be HOT or they will just waste a lot of the dab as you have noticed ;)

torch it until the bottom is red hot glowing, wait for the glow to barely subside and dab..if you want better temp control for smoother hits, get a laser temp probe and use to to gauge when to start the dab (always start it a bit hot as it will cool off fast as you hit it [no ongoing heat source, physics thing ya know])

3. When I try to dab that soon it seems to burn is it normal for remaining oil to turn black the problem is when i go to re heat the nail to do anther dab it starts smoking. I have seen videos of people using new clear quartz nails and product just bubbles doesnt turn black thats what I am after I am wondering if the nail just never got seasoned properly? does a total cleaning of the nail require re season ? thanks

and I am vaping low temp rosin that is fine in Titanium nail and vape pen. Maybe this rosin and quartz are just not a good mix. I wish I had some shatter or some Live to compare the hits to the rosin. Ive had a few nice hits after posting the first post by basically doing what you said and getting it crazy hot I just dont want to smoke the crap thats burning when I heat the nail as with my titanium nail it never smokes until I drop some concentrate into it

4. Are you using a carb cap? A carb cap is essential when using a banger. Also, you were definitely dropping your dabs too hot which is why it is burning the bottom of the banger rather than vaporizing. Heat the banger on all sides/bottom until it is red hot, A newer banger won't really get that red but torch it for 40 seconds to a minute. After than, wait at least a full minute before dropping your dab in the banger. This seems like a long time, but otherwise you are going to burn your concentrate rather than vaporize it. After you drop in your dab, put the carb cap on and take your hit, it should milk up nice once the cap is on. After the dab is done, take a q tip to get any residual oil ( I also hit my banger with a q tip covered in ISO to keep it clean as possible)

Don't take this advice, taking a dab 15 seconds after heating it is WAY too hot unless that banger is crazy crazy thin and can't retain heat. I only will wait 15 seconds if I am using a quartz insert, otherwise for my Joel Halen Honey Bucket I wait a minute and 15 seconds after heating it to take a dab. The carb cap is key.

5. It is pretty thick it is not a cheap china leaded glass nail it is the real deal I think it just takes some getting used to I dont have a real carb cap so Im using an empty live resin jar lol seems to be working pretty good
    The last few dabs were pretty good but not getting full flavour as some of the carbon is burning forsure I think it just needs a total cleaning and season and try to start from it being totally clean and not burn anything.
    I have heard people talk about using an enail with quarts banger ive only seen titanium enail setups

6. Once you get it cleaned up you don't need to worry about seasoning quartz like you do titanium. Hit that thing with a decent torch for a minute or til it is red, wait a full minute, drop your dab then cover it with your jar. It should give you a good flavorful hit at that point.

They do have quartz enails, they usually have a little arm on the side for the coil arm to rest on, but I prefer my torch setup, especially since I got a quartz insert

• Like Like x 1
  7. Im going to look into the inserts and buckets look pretty sweet, aslo a guy I know has a quarts banger that is like more of a bowl at the bottom instead of being flat and all of the concentrate collects and bubbles there I might try on of those too. I think also you are right about it not getting red hot it is pretty new so for sure I am getting it way toooo hot trying to get it to turn red because thats what everone says to do.
    Thans for the help cheers

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeah Eternal Quartz is the brand that makes the inserts I get and I love them, definitely the best way for a flavorful dab and the dab lasts for like a full minute, I am usually struggling to finish less than a .1 dab

9. wait more each time until you are happy with the hits

10. ya, don't read the whole thing..even though a method to have a smoother hit was mentioned, nope, don't bother reading the whole thing..because people wanting a smoother hit and using a thermometer is a silly idea, unless they listen to you of course...pfft

11. I torch my banger till glowing orange...wait for orange to subside and wait 5-10 seconds. ...Then I dab it...some concentrates have different temp points.

12. What are you talking about? You mean you didn't read the whole thing? Yeah using a temp gun can be helpful but not super necessary, I was just telling him don't take a dab right after the banger stops going red, it will be too hot. A minute after red hot is a good starting point, and adjust up or down from there, the time totally depends on your banger