Help please

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by LetGo, Sep 21, 2021.

1. So ~ 3 weeks ago my plants looked amazing now it seems I am struggling and in need of help.

7 gallon pots
    Roots organics potting mix base with an extra ~25% ewc/compost blend and ~25% more perlite

Aug 29 is the better pic and was day 14 from 12/12.
    Last top feed was Aug 15 before aug 29 pic which consist of 10 tbsp total top feed and ~1-2 cups ewc/compost mix
    1 tbsp kelp meal @ 1-.1-2
    3 tbsp neem seed @ 6-1-2
    2 tbsp happfrog all purpose 6-4-5
    2 tbsp happy frog flower @ 4-9-3
    1 tbsp bat guano @ 10-4-1
    1 tbsp bat guano @ 10-1-1

Top fed September 4 -
    Same stuff above but
    2 tbsp kelp
    2 tbsp neem
    2 tbsp happy frog all purportedly
    4 tbsp all purpose flower
    1-2 cups ewc/compost mix

I water every 2 days with rain water and rotate between watering example; water, water, recharge,water, water, molasses, water, water, compost tea. I was using some Epsom salts as I had a magnesium issue in veg. now it looks like my front one has calcium and potassium deficiency but a nitrogen toxicity(clawing?). And my further back of the 3 looks all potassium deficiency. Any tips on correct?

I tried adding another ~ 8 tbsps of bloom mix with compost on top September 18th but I doubt that will reflect anything yet.

Help !!!! I want these to try to make it the ~3 weeks I have left

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. #2 GroBuddy, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Looks over fed and nutrient burned, watering every 2 days in 7 gallon pots is too often you should be using more water, watering every 4 days or so. My 1 1/2 gallon veggers don't get watered that often.

I'd suggest you have longer than 3 weeks as well

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the quick reply!
    Every 2 days water in about 1 gallon each 7 gallon. Mulching the tops and no run off lost

If it’s nutrient burn I am screwed as I just did another top feed on the 18th. I thought a nutrient burn like this is mainly from salt fertilizer and wouldn’t happen like this as most places around the web I saw 2tbsp per gallon for top feed. Thought I was going under the recommended to be safe

• Like Like x 1
  4. I use dry amendments all mine on the box call for 1tbls per gallon of soil. Even so still have to pay attention to the nkp ratios. The top alone is 59 worth of nitrogen. 5 gallon pots take a gallon to a gallon and a quarter.

Watering Container-Grown Plants
    Times of drought will require more frequent waterings. For a 1 gallon planted pot, ½ gallon of water per watering is sufficient, for a 3 gallon pot, you will need 1½ gallons of water, a 5 gallon pot would require 2½ gallons of water per watering and so on… that's more than I use but you can see you're not using enough water.

All I use for top dressing is 444 all purpose, 394 flower, gypsum, Epsom salt, humic acid, and worm castings. I only use bat guano, sea bird guano, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, and fish meal for nutrient teas when or if needed. I'll use dolomite lime if soil ph is low. I'll use the recommended amount of 1 tbls per gallon unless I'm regrowing a strain I know needs more.

5. So could I be getting maybe calcium lockout from dry spots in the soil?

But are you pre amending your mix into a super soil past what a bag of roots organics.

any non nutrient tea used? regular ewc/compost/sprout teas?
    I just got some gypsum today.

6. No I dont pre amend, I use fox farms happy frog and ocean forest. I usually dont top feed until 2 months into my grows, or more. Every now and again I may veg longer than expect and 444, gypsum, Epsom salt, and worm castings, are needed to take me to final transplant.
    Or I'll have a plant or 2 lacking calcium or magnesium. What's a non nutrient tea?
    Also I'll only use neem in liquid form if I have gnats.

I seldom use teas only if I slack on top feeding and show deficiency I'll use teas to give plants readily available nutrients allowing time for the organics to break down.

Idk about calmag lock out, just too much food was used in general

• Like Like x 1
  7. I used to use ocean forest with bottle nutrients and liked it.
    Nutrient teas have amendments like you use, I am referring to a more the beneficial bacteria and enzyme adding teas with compost or ewc teas. Carry lighter nutrients but more microbes if I understand it correctly.

can you give me an example of your top feed schedule/routine?

8. I follow instructions on box as needed 1 tbls per gallon. Ocean forest feeds 5 or 6 weeks I'll top dress between weeks 4 and 5 depending on the plants how they look. Final feed will be about 6 weeks from harvest.

I don't use any of those teas you're referring brewing nutrient tea adds microbes you can see it froth after a few hours. When their in 11/2 gallons I'll water a couple times with great white that's about as far as I go with adding microbes. If you ph water using super soil and top amendments that's not needed either and can mess up microbial life.

5 gallons get 5 tbsp of 444 or 394, 5 tablespoons of worm castings 5 tbls gypsum and Epsom salt, 5 tbls of humic acid. If plants already shown deficiency I'll up 444 or 394 by a tablespoon to 3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Thanks so much!!! Still learning this organic balance coming from hydroponics

Looking at what I have fed already. Do you think I should add the gypsum I got today? Or do you think the compost/ewc/ and what’s in the happfrog flower fertilizer enough for calcium?

10. Those plants are probably done, I'd leave them alone all the damaged fan leaves will get worse and die. Hopefully they'll be able to get you to harvest.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Don't get frustrated I used ff liquids as well for nearly 4 years. First time I used dry amendments, I pre amended a 30/70 mix of happy frog/ocean forest. I only had 3 out of 8 plants amount to anything. Rest looked like yours then got worse eventually I was finishing flowering off of sugar leaves. You grow and you learn, next grow I had a new light. I didn't pre amend and fed less as of course I was shook. I turned my light to 100% too soon and had light intensity issues, which I've never had. The plants were droopy with lightening of plant color, white tips and slight spotting. To me knowing I fed less it looked like a ph issue or deficiency. So I bought a blue lab soil tester, top dressed and gave a tea then waited leaving the light alone. Once I finally figured out it was the light, it had been over a week. Fried and crispy 5 out of the 8 were only the 3 smaller plants made it through flower with most of their fan leaves intact. Shit happens that's all apart of the learning process. For me tho personally once you get the dry amendments down this organic style grow is much easier than adjusting ph every water/feed and having to mix up nutrients a couple times a week. Or with me every watering when I didn't use veg or bloom nutrients I'd use kelp me kelp you, wholly mackerel, microbes, of course cal/mag or the 3 blooming aids from the dirty dozen line.

Plus i have a plastic bin i sit outside during warm and hot months. I'll dump used soil in it, dress with 444, humic acid, worm castings, gypsum, Epsom salt, alfalfa and kelp meal. Keep moist mixing daily or every other day for a month more is better but I'll reuse it after a month. May want to look into getting a worm bin if you stay organic, those castings are the bees knees

• Like Like x 1
  12. Im switching from hydro to super soil in a few weeks as well. Had great results with bottled nutrients, but never tried full no till.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I have some compost bins outside that gain the attention of worms :)
    Hopi g to the experience coming but next grow I may do 1 hydro for a safety net harvest lol

14. Haha I hear that you'll still do fine with all the trouble with 8 autos I still pulled nearly 30 ounces not including trim. Not great by any means but for personal use that's more than enough to last between harvest. The knowledge you learn during the mishaps pays for itself in future grows.

15. Plan for longer veg times!

16. No more feeding, they will be fine. After trimming you'll barely notice.