Help. Please. (leaves yellowing)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by marcp, Jan 26, 2022.

1. #1 marcp, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    I am both concerned and confused. Larger fan leaves at all levels of the grow are yellowing and appear to be dying. Also, I noticed that a very few of the pistols on various buds are turning amber. Cut off 1 sugar leaf from top cola to examine the tricomes under 120x mag. Virtually all are clear but a few are milky. These findings would not concern me if I was approaching a harvest. But this girl is a month or more from that stage and the top cola and other buds still look underdeveloped/anemic. Online searches are not helpful as they could indicate anything from bad seed genetics, root rot, overwatering/nut, or too much/little light. (Soil temp is 65F, bud/cola temps are 74F, blue/red light is 8” above cola, full spectrum light is 16” above cola, soil moist but not wet – so these all seem to be in WNL range). No bugs noted on/under leaves/stems. Obviously I did something wrong. Ideas to correct (if possible)?
    Basic info>>>Inside Closet “grow room” is covered inside with silver mylar sheeting. 2 (generic) LED grow lights are used – (1) blue/red/IR/UV (45W heavy on red spectrum) and (1) full spectrum (600W heavy on blue and red spectrums + cool whites), both on 24/7 since flwrg. Small 6” fan is used for air circulation. Closet door is not kept fully closed to assist circulation and temp/humidity control. Plant will be turned ¼ revolution per day to assist even light distribution. Seed planted is a Regular (not-feminized) Blueberry Autoflower. Soil is a mixture of commercial topsoil, humus, and perlite. Veg nut is 24-8-16, flower nut is 10-54-10, this is augmented with wood ash (for extra K+) and homemade cal-mag-sulf additive. This is my second grow. First went OK even with all my newbie mistakes. (Got 2.75oz). This grow WAS going well till 1 week ago. Duration 10 weeks since germination, 4 weeks in active flowering. Tomorrow is start of wk11/flwr5. Overall plant size is approx 28"x22"x40" (100cm is at upper limit for a Bueberry Autoflower).
    p.s.: I couldn't figure out how to upload a couple of pics to the post

2. Got a picture of them? It will really help your getting answers is all.

3. try this How to Fix Cannabis Nutrient Burn - Pics & Symptoms

good luck

4. Tell me how to upload pics and I'll be happy to! (Couldn't figure it out).

5. Wish I knew how to post pics.
    What I have is not typical nut burn (yeah I have some tip browning but I'm not worried about that), this is total leaf yellowing at top, middle, and bottom of the plant. Started at beginning of wk 4 of flowering and has progressed each day.
    As I stated, it looks like the leaf yellowing you get just prior to harvest, but the grow is nowhere close to harvest (tomorrow will be start of wk5 of flowering).

6. Down under Post Reply, there is an option which says Upload a File.
    Once I click on upload a file, I have to select One image.
    Once I okay that image, it starts to upload, I wait for it to upload, it still won't be on the field, to do that I have to click on either thumb, which will be a small image, or the other which will be a full photo placed into the field. If you don't do either it will leave said file at the bottom of your post as an icon others can click on but isn't any where displayed.

7. Ahhh for me that sounds like Calmag time
    it ain't no food but the application of some MgS04 by foliar spray will make 'em green in 30mins if Im correct

1/2 tsp to a pint spray bottle and warm water shake ands spray

8. Actually, I DO give a mixture of calcium, magnesium, and sulfa along with my diluted bloom nuts. I can mix up some plain epsom salt soln and give it a try.

P.S>> Thanks for info on oics which I will now try to upload.
    Resized_20220126_133728.jpeg Resized_20220126_133748.jpeg Resized_20220126_133813.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Just tried a MgSO4 foliar spray. (I had been applying directly to soil along w/my nut+H2O). It can't hurt. I'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks for the help. I uploaded 3 pics to show what I was talking about. Any ideas?
    (Can you also tell me how to post an avatar pic to my profile so I'm not just a grey silhouette?)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sweet, definitely pics go a long ways for us who are a bit too stoned to always follow long paragraphs of different nutrition or plant feeds and media blah blah blah, sorry it just is continuous. I love it and I'm just a wee bit burned out but still want to help. I know it's selfish of me, and for that I give a nod to the idea of apologies. However still am here, so; yah- like volstok said calmag time for sure. Foliar em, they definitely would appreciate it.
    I'm glad you were able to figure out the pictures!
    Sure, if you click on the grey pic in top right where alerts are shown, then next box which opens you click on profile page. Once at profile page, click on that grey image again. It should take you to a place to upload an "avatar" file.

13. So yah, calmag time for sure.
    I recommend cal mag plus from botanicare. I'm biased towards it. Seen it used by too many growers and it's saved my own ass more times than I can count.

14. #14 marcp, Jan 26, 2022
    Thank you StickyEnt! (and Vostok)
    [Pic is part of the main cola from my 1st successful grow harvested at end of Oct '21 --> a Blueberry Autoflower. You can see how different it appears from my present grow from same seed batch. They were not feminized and out of my 7 seeds I got 2 females (including the 1 I'm having above problems with), 4 males, and 1 dud.]
    It is a challenge growing it but also a bunch of fun. Who knew growing pot was so involved?????

• Like Like x 2
  15. Happy I could help!
    Most the time I just wonder what the hell I'm doing on here..
    Lol

16. That's great!
    It truly is a wonderful hobby and the flowers are just wonderful and full of lessons.
    Starting off with the autos.
    I do love blueberry, it's a nice girl full bodied flowers, even if she's not the densest girl out there, I do love a lot of her traits and flavor.

17. #17 StickyEnt, Jan 26, 2022
    Yah, I found growing as being a young problem kid, it was about the one thing I could find which made me feel, not even the talking about the high, but fostering plants- just something so magical. That was probably around six or seven with watermelons and carrots however finding cannabis when I was 13, that being some 26 years ago now. So for me it has been a large part of my life, even if I'm still a young in,lol. I'd say it's saved me from much misery however it's been the cause of it as well due to the illegal nature of my favored plant. But I love growing anything really strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, microgreens, carrots, so many delicious plants on this earth to enjoy. Gonna give a go with turmeric and ginger cause they are main stays of what I consider healthy eating.
    Regarding cannabis though and the cultivar/strain of Blueberry
    I'm always so confused. I've seen a lot of places call blueberry an indica.
    From all my years growing she seems to exhibit far more sativa like traits.
    Getting bigger and full and taking her sweet time.
    I bet your girl will pull thru with her flowers, she looks pretty hungry in general.
    Cannabis indoors can be pretty tricky to pull off healthy leafs til the end with, vs outdoors it's really not an issue. My belief is it largely comes from our sub adequate light(*Edit energy inputs can't compare to the sun)and them having bound roots. It's easier to pull off in hydro where you can supplement the pressures and do a magic act with various forms of energy, however how much time does one want to spend spinning stable solutions of high ppm/EC, even getting into danger territory of touching the solution due to toxicity with our lack of cellular walls.
    Wow, you gave some great info in your original post, the one thing I'm wanting to know is what your watering/feeding frequency is like?
    Now I will apologize for the wall of text- I'm such a hypocrite... Lol.

19. As far as watering goes......I use the knuckle method. When I can stick my finger in past the 1st knuckle and it still feels dry, I water it. I do plain water until I just see a tiny bit of drainage/runoff after at least 5 minutes or so of wait time. I suck out any extra runoff once it appears to have ceased (w/turkey baster). Every other or every third watering I give it liquid nutrient soln (usually 1/2 strength of max rec). During the active veg and stretch stages I may give it nut soln each watering for a week, back to orig sched for a wk, then back to every watering until growth seems to slow or plant seems to be getting too much fluid. (I did cheat with this grow as it had such a heavy veg stage, I used full strength nuts to give it extra nitrogen). If I know I'm going to be busy, I do also use a large watering globe which goes about 6"-8" into the soil and holds about a liter (it has a 4" ball). It usually will last about 3 days before it empties. Obviously, I get no runoff doing this. My thought is, I would rather know it has a water supply avail, then let it totally dry out and have to soak it (and maybe overwater the roots).
    It worked for my 1st grow so I have been doing the same with this grow.
    As for your comment about blueberry autoflowers sometimes having sativa properties, this grow is taking much longer than the first, the leaves are narrower and not as dense, and the plant just measured in at 103cm tall (max recorded hgt is stated at 110cm!). So, assuming the seed growing out was not mislabeled, its parent may have had more sativa genetics in it then the normal 10% (usually 85%I/10%S/5%R).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Things have gotten a lot worse overnight. My young lady is dying and it appears she won't make it to full adulthood. All the leaves, except for the sugar leaves, have chlorosis and are getting more yellow almost by the hour. The magnesium supplementation did not seem to help. So I now need help from your forum "supergrowers".
    Should I just let all the leaves die and see if there are are any buds to save (larfy or not), OR even at this late stage (today is beginning of flowering week 5, week 12 since germination) should I lollipop the grow and see if the buds can survive to a point I can harvest them? I know, you are not supposed to prune, defoliate, or lollipop an autoflower. But at this stage I don't think I have much to lose.
    Some more pistols are turning amber (maturity or stress?). The tricomes are almost all clear with scant one being "milky". Still no type of pest/mold noted on or under the leaves.
    I REALLY tried hard to make this grow successful. Any suggestions on ANY type of salvage? :sad::(:confusedalt::frown::confused_2: