Help please: female plant ,not much calyx production

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by maxinout13, Oct 27, 2014.

1. So guys back after a few grows under my belt everything decent learned a lot but I'm stumped here. This strain. Grape ape. Fast growing loves to be topped and fimd but then I flower her out and she forms these giant unreal colas but very loose stringy almost no calyx build up just a lot of hairs. Maybe lacking something .. All test from soil and run off tested normal and everything was on point. This isn't one plants this is a few some in coco some dirt same results. Seems to me the calyx are not producing at all. I even dried one plant out completely it's been a few months and smoked it. Very lose leafy and high foliage but once you get passed it you get little rock hard bugs which are great but you can't get to em with out smoking the harsh tiny foliage everywhere else. I'll post some pics but maybe some experienced growers will chime in with a easy fix. I also used sos to clean up roots if that was problem with one plant but same results. I'll attach some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414417503.394639.jpg
    Dried pic

3. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414417561.943129.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414417600.775999.jpg
    Lots of spacing lots of hairs nothing filling out anyways his ones bit younger but you'll see the progression. Or lack there of. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414417666.076015.jpg

4. Let me start off with I'm a noob.

What kinda lights are you using? I thought weak lighting will make airy buds.

5. it's just finished preflowering. be patient. still got lots of time left. 8-12 weeks dependin on strain. my last grow took 13 weeks to flower and it was still a bit early

6. Could be the temps, looks like foxtailing. What are the grow room conditions(temp/humid)?

7. Lighting issues not the problem. Using 2-600w in a 8x 4 the rope of the plant did stretch a bit further then predicted. Not worrying about that cola she has 20+ tops so not to concerned it'll fix itself I tied it back and a little mutated bud never hurt. Looks cool anyways come picture time. But i'll keep this updated it is preflower but if I'm correct (hoping I'm wrong cause I did baby this one plant more than others) she is only Ga in flower ATM. Hopefully she will pull through and push out some calyxs with some density instead of this stretchy hairy nonsense lol. Hopefully the switch from fox farm to floratechincs will dial in more on specific nutrients then I can test more indepth instead of basic npk etc. looking into a minor nutrient test kit if they even exist without sending into a lab lol. I will fix this problem and she will produce lol but thanks for the help. Stay tuned for updates.

Little more humid at night approaching 70 i'll add a clip fan daytime about 72-75 degrees 49-55 humidity

8. Have you changed your bulbs recently? I'd recommend changing them at least once a year...

9. i've had the light/airy bud problem before. it was caused by too much heat. but, the buds themselves looked fine, unlike yours. i'm not sure, but isn't grape ape something that bog's son bred? where did you get your beans? was it a friend thing, or did you order them? if it's just one plant, then it could just be a pheno, but if it'a all of them, you may have gotten a batch of crap beans.

10. It is foxtailing and its not just heat or temps or the age of the bulb that cause it, but genetics.

Some strains are just this way. Ive seen it a lot in chocolate chunk and various widows.

11. #11 maxinout13, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
    Fox tails is genetics bulbs are brand new. Grape ape was ordered from a reputable source. It's big bud x purple urkel the giant colas are expected. The lack of production is not but we will see. Other strains are all normal like I said it's just this one plant (whole line, every plant clone or bean sprouted)

Other plants are doing ]well. Enjoy some pics ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414449765.696389.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414449782.039173.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1414449803.832290.jpg