help please 1st time cloning

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kittengirl, Nov 27, 2012.

1. I'm a first time grower attempting to make a few clones. I heard that the clones need a week nutrient solution during rooting? Is this true? If it is what can you use as a nutrient mix? Do you start giving them weak nutrients right from day one of cloning?please. I need some advice.
    The other thing is I have some jiffy pots and I have some stim- root powder will these work well? I've been told cloning gel and rapid rooters work well but wont what I have already work ? Any other tips would be much appreciated! I want to be successful :D

2. Best easiest way to do clones is rapid rooter plugs 35-75 cents a piece depending on location nothing else needed just put a nice strong clone in it and put it under appropriate light and wait, usually 1-2 weeks. If doing it in soil I would suggest small 1-2 inch pots or other container with a little bit of cloning powder in the holes or dipped onto the cutting as described.

3. How much and what kinda light could I use? I got a 200watt cfl floodlight type bulb or a 4 foot florescent fixture that has 1 cool white and one colortone ..what I don't use any cloning powder/ gel.? RapidRapidrooters don't need anything else you're saying???

4. Never have with them take clipping put them in rapid rooter plug put into flood tray put under a 150 watt cfl i use and in 1-2 weeks i have clones with the whole rapid rooter plug rooted. No nutes no gels or powders just simple plugs and water in the tray under the light I have around a 95% success rate with this method.

Few weeks ago I made a aeroponic cloner to try that out as I know many others who use them and have used them myself before but when they are bought premade they cost $100 plus I made a 24 site one for around $50 and I just use the clippings in the cloner with water (ph balanced always of course) and at the end of week 1 I had roots on almost all of them by end of week 2 I should be at where the plug/flood tray method was but no more cost of the rapid rooter plugs.

5. Ok sounds good, Im gonna buy a tray and propagation dome. What exactally is a flood tray?what do they look like so I get the right one thanks man!

6. its just a tray with a foam floating insert with holes for the plugs you can buy them all together in a tray for around $10 for a small one to $50 for a large one and just get new plugs as needed

7. How long should the rapidrooter plugs be soaked beforehand or just put a bit of water in the tray with the clones in the plugs?

8. can you use three or four 25watt cfl bulbs on clones? Or would this take a long time?

9. In the flood tray to fill water in the bottom and then the tray with the plugs float in it and self water very simple and easy to maintain if its just a tray you set the plugs in the should be moist but not wet. store the plugs in a moist but not wet container or zip lock bag

10. Taken from another thread...

In your case I would go with plugs using the same method as with rockwool. Powders and gels do work, they also contain large amounts of nasty shit. Mix some honey and aloe vera gel together and soak the cut ends in it for 15 minutes for a cheap, effective and organic solution to the nasty shit in gels/powders.

11. Thanks Gnomepunter for your advice I wish I had that much smokage:rolleyes: hehe. I'm keeping my grow small about 5 plants just for personal.Anyways how much light should thhey get at first? I have the mother under a 200watt cfl floodlight that puts out 6400K. I do have a 4 foot florecent with 1 cool white and 1 colortone. How much light do they need I heard you can give them 18-24hrs of light is this correct? Let me know your: process please!

12. And will any store bought aloevera gel work like that after sunburn stuff? Natural liquid honey or pasturedized.

13. I use "lily of the desert" brand Aloe, try your local health food store, they will have it. Try to use raw local honey, technically try and use unprocessed local everything!

14. Oh and I use 4' double tubes all the time but then again I am a cloner, 99% of my girls go to the club so I am just trying to get a little stretch on them and off they go. I do 20/4 on and off, I actually like 24/7 but the club does 18/6 so I do it that way to limit the stress when I bring them in. I actually use a 4' restaurant rack with 4 shelves on it, each shelf has a 4 footer for light.

The ones I am going to flower get under an HID pretty quick, I use moms to shade them at first for acclimation. If I was using CFL's and keeping them all I would put as much light as I could on them once they are rooted, until then the 4 footer is plenty.