Help! Plants turning yellow and curling leaves

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by your_local420, Sep 23, 2007.

1. I am having a problem with by babies. I have new growth turning like a neon yellow, My leaves are curling under. I have a 400 hps 18 in from tops of plants. The temp is a constant 80deg and I thought it might be nute burn so I quit fertilizing and the symptoms are the same or worse. Is this a deficiency problem? Also I have some asshole bugs little tiny gnat type of bugs crawling in the soil. How do I get rid of them? Could this be the problem? I am posting pics but be aware my camera is crappy.

Attached Files:

2. quite possibly a ph problem ... if fungus gnats they feed from your roots and rot them which would effect nutrient uptake ... drown the buggers n Yates Baythroid or Malathon is common... drown for 10 mins then frlush them out good for 10 mins ... also are your pots sitting in a constant pool of water cuz if so the media would be too wet n soggy all the time and that basically drowns the roots and causes wilting and deficencies... It should be just moist n damp only

3. I used some neem oil this morning the yellow has gone away today. I moved the light up about 4 inches thinking it was a possible light bleaching problem. My pots have about 4, 3/4 inch holes for drainage. I have a lot of vermaculite and perilite for drainage and also the bottom 2 inches is sand. The PH is where it should be and the PPM is 700. I am just getting damn fed up with the droop issue I have.

4. what is your ph and what kind of soil are you using? Also do you have cold nights at all. Or is 80 degrees at night too? Cold can cause the new growth to turn alittle yellow. But i would say that it could need a good flush and ph test it.

5. I'm not saying this is the case here with you , but if you want help post the details....PH....
    the number of guys that said the PH is where it should be, & were way off, or just dont have a ph meter, I cant tell you

the droop will not go away, you will be looking for new growth not to droop, what your plant is experiencing is nitrogen toxicity, (see examples on my site, link below)
    this will also account for your other issues, nitrogen toxicity slows growth aswell, flush to leech excess ferts do not feed again for 3 weeks min

complete a soil runoff PH test.......
    with PH corrected water (6.5-6.8PH ) pour enough water in the pots so the water runs out the bottom of the pot ...collect & test the PH of this runoff water....post both the watering going in the pots and the runoff ph
    If the PH reading is out of optimum range 6.5-6.8 PH, you need to flush your plant.(IN YOUR CASE YOU FLUSH REGARDLESS TO LEECH OUT EXCESS FERTS)
    Flush with PH corrected water, till in optimum PH range, 3 times the volume of the pots is the rule of thumb but may require much more flushing if the rootball is thick & sour
    EG: 1 gal pot = 3 gal. flush

6. 'asshole bugs little tiny gnat type of bugs' like overwatered soil.
    Try to get the top layer to be dry most of the time, they hate that.

7. good point , maybe even increase the air flow across the plants

8. Thanks for the replying so quickly the ph corrected water is 6.5 the run off is 6.8. The neon growth did clear up the plant is taking on more new growth. The nights are not cold the location of my room runs a very consistant temp. I took pics of 3 plants and I am now down to 2. (One grew balls one me). I did a little experiment and for got that the soil in one of the plants is that "Miracle Grow" death soil shit. It is curling up like a mother and getting weird yellowing patterns on the leaves. My other plant the other plant is basically neutral cheap assed potting soil fert free whith vermaculite and perilite, peat moss and worm castings. There isnt any real name to it. It is named after the nursery that I bought it from. I read that cheap assed soil like this commonly comes bugs in it. The neem oil seems to be helping tremendously. Cant say much for the Miracle grow soil. I am going to repot and flush the shit out of the roots and try to salvage the plant. These are bagseed plants. I have the real deal in an envelope waiting to be planted but I want to work the kinks out of my new room before I plant these super ass expensive seeds. With the help of everyone here at the CITY I think I might have a green thumb after all. Is there any thing you recommend for this one plant that was in the Miracle Grow "death soil" to kinda help it out if the shit I put it in. I heard conflicting posts on MG so I had to find out for myself. Oh shit I get high and start to ramble. My temps at night dip to 75 degrees I hope this helps.

9. there are a few strains that can handel MG soil, but most cant