HELP Plants drooping at fan leave stems a few hours before lights out?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by OGkushak, Dec 14, 2014.

1. As the title says only one of my two plants. (The larger one) will start to droop around 12-14 hours into the 18/6 and get worse til I turn the lights off. In the am tho the plant seems to have substantial growth and is not drooping anymore. I'm going to water again today and see if the ph is too high or low out of the soil but if not what could be causing this? I know plants "sleep" and such but these plants have only been on 18/6 for like 4 days now. Also they have a minor thrip infestation that I'll be taking care of today.

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. My plants also know when it is bed time and begin to droop prior to lights out....usually about an hour before.

3. I would do a soil only test if you've got the correct tester. Also check to see how moist and or dry the soil is... only water when it's completely dry!

4. Doing that today. It's slightly damp at the more packed rootball so I'm going to wait till tonight to water then I will test the run off with a ph pen.

I also noticed some holes in new growth. Is this due to the thrips? These holes were tiny when leave was just sprouting but it's just growing out with the hole I think.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1418583658.029250.jpg

5. Bump. Help with confirming the holes are from thrip damage?

6. I wouldn't be too concerned unless the holes are showing up on new growth.
    Nevermind.... just seen you said it was.

7. yea, it seems the thrips eat away at the new growth before they really lay out and they kind of just grow with the hole but other than that the leaves seem to be very healthy.

theres a picture of said holes above

8. That doesn't look like thrip damage tho. .thrips usually leave shiny streaks on the leaf surface not holes. Have you caught any in the blue sticky traps we can look at?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. #9 OGkushak, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
    There are the silver shiny streaks in some of the leaves but what could be causing the severe droop? The plants are not doing good atm at all. Here a few pictures of them taken just now.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1418618618.606058.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1418618701.730886.jpg

They hadn't been watered in 4 days but just today they seemed to be pretty dry. I gave them their first nutes of just half strength fox farm big bloom.

Is this underwatering? I just don't really think so.

I have a feeling if not underwatering its a drainage issue. When the plants were in the old pots I didn't mix the ffof with perlite at all so the rootball was really dense when I transplanted. The newer soil added is much more able to drain. However I think this old rootball from the last pots is possibly just getting way to filled with water and maybe causing root rot? Any help would be greatly appreciated I don't want these girls to die!!

Attached Files:

10. after the watering and giving them their first low dose of just fox farm big bloom they seem to be perking up a good amount already after about only two hours after. hoping when i wake up they will be thriving even more with the first dose of nutes

11. How often have you watered and what is your temps?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. #12 OGkushak, Dec 15, 2014
    water about every 3-4 days mostly when the top of the soil seems dried out to about 1-2" down and kinda by weight. temps are around 70-85 but can sometimes get as high as 90-95 (pretty rare to happen) for a hour or so max tho if i leave and dont open a window. i just gave them their first nutes last night (just half-strength big bloom) and now this am they seem to be GREAT! haha i dont get these things, they do some pretty whacky stuff. hopefully the nutes and fresh water will prevent the droop tonight, time will tell!

13. #13 OGkushak, Dec 15, 2014
    They went from this
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1418670220.294875.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1418670256.296559.jpg

To this overnight
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1418670312.740963.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1418670333.837956.jpg