Help plants are too tall

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Cowart69, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Well.....on my first grow I grew from clones (master kush and bubba kush) and complained that the plants didnt grow tall enough and put out a poor yield

So this time I go all feminized seeds white widow from Dr. Chronic.....

- I have a very tall closet so I put in two rows with 2 sets of lights

- More then enough ventilation to the outside

- Running a portable AC unit so the temps are good

Now I have a new problem....the plants now were growing so well they they actually grew TOO tall and now are too close to the lights so they are getting burned a bit. The setup of the closet does not really allow me to adjust the highth of the shelves or the lights themselves.

What can I do....and in the future what can I do to keep the plants from growing so tall.....I want short, bushy, high yield plants.

2. tie them down , twist and bend them until they fit

cheers

3. When you say tie them down could you give a little more info on that. Tie them down to what?

4. OK !! take some string! ,wrap it around your plant! ,tie the other end to the floor with a nail or put something heavy on the string and pull it until your plant is out of the way or stops hitting the light its real easy!!

5. i hope you arnt in vegging phase with this problem. if you are, better find a bigger spot.

:smoking:

6. Just going into Vedging stage and unfortunately I dont have a bigger spot.

Its tragic but hilarious....here I am with the last grow upset that I couldn't get a pound off 12 plants because the room was too hot so I add a dozen more plants, spend the money to keep the room at the right temps....now the plants are fricken jack and the beanstalk and too TALL?

Here I am dreaming of the amount of product I am going to get and run into another problem.

7. u mean you're going to flowering now?
    i assumed your plants are too tall from your vegging.

8. Sorry wrong terminology.....

We are done with vedge and fixing to go into flower mode....or the 2nd stage.

9. Keep the lights closer to the plants while they grow. If the lights are far away, the plant will keep growing towards the light. Also, Don't veg for so long. Realize that most of a plants growth happens during flowering. If you have not even gone into flowering yet then expect the plants to grow a TON more. Consider tying them back.

10. Plants can double or more in height in the flowering stage. Read up on LST, which is the method of tieing the plant down so it grows more horizontally. There is a good sticky thread on it at the top of the Absolute Beginners sections. You will want to get it tied down good right now, before you get deep in to flower mode.

11. cut the fuckers in half on an angle and make one huge ass clone outta the top bit of the plant. I never tried it but i plan on doin it soon mine are gettin too big as well.

12. Is this actually a good idea? Would it be OK to cut a 3 foot plant in half if it's getting too tall?

13. FUCK NO!
    if you cut 50% or more off your plant your both fucked.

Man the best idea right now sounds like a screen.
    get a strong screen or make one with big enough holes for light to penetrate.
    and then tie your plants down to the walls, buckets, nails. etc. and then grow them into the screen......it might help hold back height a little.
    its called scrog method.
    read up on it.:smoke:

14. this is your best bet. By doing a scrog you can control the height of the plant the most. You should have lst'd them from the get go, but tie them down whatever way you can so that they do not get burned. gl:wave:

15. why dont you go right into flower now and it stunts growth. If your on 18/6 and reduce it to 12/12 it's not growing that extra 6 hours and it wont grow as big.

Next time try some LST but read and dont be shy of asking questions.

16. for future reference, White Widow likes very little veg, and if you have a space issue, you will need no veg time at all, just go to flower right away...I love WW, she is a great smoke and a dream to grow...:D