Help. plant problems. With pics. DWC.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by boost4life, Aug 24, 2016.

1. I just started my first dwc about 1.5 to 2 weeks ago. The clones are about a week or older and just starting to show roots! Super cool.

But the actual plants look like shit. Heres some pics. Plz help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leaves are turning lime green/ yellow.

2. What is dwc? Is that a drip-dry top feed system, or are the roots constantly submerged into the nutrient solution? What's your watering schedule? What is the plant food that you prefer.

3. DWC= Deep Water Culture

There is no "watering schedule". This is a hydro grow clearly.

4. It looks like the roots aren't getting enough oxygen. This should change now that you have roots out of the pot. However, I would buy a proper net pot so the freshly oxygenated water can flow through it and around the roots easier.

But just to rule it out, what is your ec/ppm?

• Like Like x 1
  5. What is your water temp? It needs to be around 70. Also make sure the water level is at least an inch below the bottom of the net pot.

6. Agree with Gold Grower, a proper net pot will allow the roots to stretch more properly and potentially resolve your plant issue.

1.) Check pH - has to be between 5.5 and 6.5 (with 5.8-6.2 being optimal)

Nutrients are not absorbed in pH outside of this range.

2.) What's your reservoir water temperature? If you don't have a meter, drop a frozen water bottle in your reservoir to cool it down.

3.) What nutrients are you using?

ChaoticGood

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. Ph is 6.2 and temperature is 69°. The plants look much worse now but the roots have blown up! And im actually getting some plant growth! Lol sooo idk Whats going on!?!?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Couple of questions for ya........

1) Are those just plain rocks from the driveway in the pot?

2) You must have the net pot filled to the top. You can NOT let light into the bucket which clearly is happening with the current set up.

3) A better i.e. purpose made net pot is in order. But is to late I think for you to swap now given the amount of roots.

4) Are you feeding them yet? If so what and how much?

5) What are you using for light and what is your schedule?

• Like Like x 1
  9. 1. Nope they are lava rocks from home depot.
    2. I have a cover made up to block the light once the plants get large enough.
    3. I could cut them out if there current container and put in net pot. But is that really necessary?? The roots seem to be growing fine.

4. i just started feeding yesterday.
    [​IMG]

They are under about 100w of cfl bulbs until my mars hydro 300w gets here. 24/0 light schedule

10. As the roots grow they will become thicker and those holes will strangle them. It really wasn't worth saving that £1 on the net pot. I would change it while you still can. I'd also change that bucket to a light proof one.

What is your current ppm?
    What LPM is your air pump pushing out?

Net pots will allow the roots to swell...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. It wasn't about saving money its the fact that no stores carry netpots. I'll try and find something more suitable, thanks for the info.

The bucket is light proof.

12. I buy all my grow supplies from eBay.
    Your bucket isn't light proof, you have a gaping hole in the middle letting light in. There's algae growing in there

• Like Like x 1
  13. Its light proof. The top cover just isn't pictured.

Ebay isn't an option for me. I went out shopping for a net pot again today and no luck.

14. boost4life - are you able to order net pots from Amazon? That should do the trick.

15. Nope ordering off the internet is not an option.

16. Soo is that the problem then? Are you saying the netpot is causing my issue?

17. Here's what I think based on all of the information you provided.

Your roots look good, white and healthy, but that tiny hole they are going through at the bottom of your net pot is literally strangling the roots. As such, your nutrient uptake is likely not very efficient.

Your plants are telling you that by showing, what appears to be, a nitrogen deficiency.

Take a look - https://www.google.com/search?q=nit...abis&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

So, yes, the first thing I would fix is the net pot but be careful not to tear your roots (cut that bottom hole in net pot wider so roots can come out easily).

ChaoticGood