Help on some terms, please?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by mr man fan, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Right, i've got a nice glass bong but a while back i broke the downstem - i've bought a replacement from a headshop , but it's cheap and doesnt really fit well :(

What sizes do i need to know to order a new one that fits nice?

(what parts are the male and female joints, and what are they measured in?)

cheers for looking!

2. If it doesnt fit, its prolly the wrong size. You can always buy an adapter. You may need a 18 or 14 size one.

3. yeah, lol, it is the wrong size.

how do i determine if my bong is an 18 or 14 size? and is that the only 2 sizes they come in?

4. Those are the two standard sizes. You can use a ruler to measure the inner diameter of the female joint on your tube.

5. Come on guys, don't assume he has GonG.

OP, is it a glass on glass bong, or is it a grommet?

6. if its really small looking its probably 14mm, if it looks big then 18mm

7. Are you blind? He never even specified if it's GonG, and by the sound of it, its a grommet.

If its grommet you pretty much have to eyeball it or test in store, since the seal is made by the o-ring, not by the glass being a perfect fit. It just has to fit inside, doesnt have to be flush.

8. Great advice, Captain Vague!

Measure the inside diameter of the joint-there's your joint size!

9. #9 mr man fan, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009
    Thanks for the thought, but it is glass on glass.

Does this mean that im left with it either being 14 or 18?

My last downstem is just simply too thin so it wasn't air tight, as are all the standard lookin ones around the headshops in my area (all the same thickness).

Im assuming, if it is 18 not 14, this below would fit, then i could fit a 14 bowl to the top of the stem?

Molino Glass - Diffuser/Reducer - Online Shop

(also, is this 18 and 14 we reffer to in mm, i'll go measure my piece now)

thanks for all the replies so far!

edit : screw it, think i've got it. Just going to find and purchase an 18.8 diffused down stem, meaning i'll be able to use my old bowl too. sweet!

10. got any pics? that would help, people can usually tell by even a picture if the joint is 14 or 18mm. good luck searchin tho man

11. thanks for the luck man. not got any pics right now but im sure its an 18.8.

thing is i can't find a good site selling any 18.8 downstems - only that link which reduces it meaning i'd need a new bowl too :rolleyes:

If anyone can point me in the right direction it'd be cool, but if not think i'll just take the dive and get a new stem + bowl. money...:(

12. check your pm's.

13. If you have smallish fingers, you should be able to fit a pinkie into the 18, but not the 14. I can barely clean any of my 14s without a pipe cleaner, but I just use a toothbrush on the 18s. :)