Help on slow dry process

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Biatchzxz, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Hey man. That's all I was trying to say when I posted this. Is that it happened multiple times after harvests. Obviously my drying conditions weren't right. Not everyone has a separate space for drying n shit. You know. Thats why I wanted to figure out or ask for help on either. Compensating for the space. Maybe even a simple way ensure a PROPER! dry. Because tell you the truth. It came to a point were I was so discouraged because I started thinking. All this hard work and time I put in and then I know it's gonna be garbage no matter what because of the drying issue That was honestly my only real issue. Curing blah blah blah. I totally get what they were saying. But like you said yourself. Curing ain't gonna fix shit.
    It's not like I don't know about curing. Shit I cure weed that I purchase so it's not like I'm not familiar. But it sux when the whole time you grow all you have in the back of your mind is. "Fuck I'm scared to harvest cause I know it won't turn out right if I can't dry it right". Although I know I may sound like I was over thinking it or making more of a big deal than it was. But I believe I was right in worrying about it.

Thanks for re visiting this dude. Maybe some more peeps could learn or chime in. Ne'er hurts to hear info and input. Whether it's negative positive or neural on opinion. Any input is positive IMHO.

2. Halitzor is 100% wrong. I have typed this it Soooo many times I'm not going to do it again on my iPhone. When I get home I'll copy and paste it but it is 100% possible to quick dry by accident do to lack in temps and humidity.

3. #23 fayn2madness, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
    :wave:Sorry to butt in but I know how frustrating it all can be. I blew it myself on the cure this past year. Damn rain forced me to harvest all at the same time and only myself to handle it all.
    My best luck processing is when I use shallow boxes
    (and I still mess it up sometimes weather or harvest conditions not withstanding)
    either flat ones under the bed or bigger ones I can stack somewhere easily gotten to and maneuvered. Keep them in the dark as much as possible.
    I trim everything and get most of the stick off and
    step 1 is
    spread them out in the box, in a room with good airflow and kept in the dark.
    When they are new and green you may want to roll them over at least 2x a day. the first few days. I wouldn't handle them before work or anything.
    Every day I pull them out and gently shake them and roll them around. Each day when they get shook up I check to see if the outer edges and leaves have crispy texture to them. This usually takes about a week.
    If you have very dry conditions, just jump to the 3rd step.

Step 2
    As soon as they start getting nice crispy edges put each group into it's own paper bag.
    This should bunch them a bit more than they are in the box and slow them down. Not too many buds per bag, I would say not more than 4 to 8 oz per brown grocery bag depending on how fast you want it to go or how much you want to do the hands on part. You have to watch it closer if you do a pile all of it together to make sure it doesn't mold, that's a worry anyway but bigger chances with bigger piles in bags. You have more control over smaller batches. Understand you want to be able to get air flow when you stir them. As they get dryer though you can consolidate to slow the process further.
    When you come back later reach into the bag to see if the moisture has crept back into the dryer edges and they have moistness again. Gently roll them around.
    When it feels like they are drying, stir and fold the bag closed.
    If they feel damp open the bag and stir them around and leave the bag open.
    You will see what I mean as they dry you will know instinctively by what you have seen before and know when you are there. I'm sure of it.
    The idea is to dry- damp- dry- damp -dry- damp- dry.
    As it gets drier,
    Step 3.
    At some point you will want to slow it further so you will move the same process to plastic bags and start consolidating the batches if they are all the same type.
    Keep doing the same thing with the plastic bag but by this time
    as it dries more and more you will only bother with it once a day, until it is where you think it is ready for jars.
    Jars is the last stage and it should still be a tad too moist at this point.
    I try to stretch it out 2 weeks. I get it there a lot of times 10 days. The slower and more evenly you can dry it the better the cure and flavor. The jars they say takes 30 days. burp each jar every day for 30 days. That happens every time you roll one. :D
    I have had very good success with this method, if the stars are all aligned I reckon.
    I hope this helps you the next time. Good luck:wave::smoke:

4. Here's some advise GROW GOOD TREES and u won't have this problem haha

5. #25 weedbeen, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
    sorry man but there kinda wrong the longer it takes your weed to dry the better if you dry in 3 or 4 days thats way to fast it wont fuck your buds up but they wont be as good as they was going to be, but no matter what you do  put them in a jar when the stim snaps... i like to do it right before it snaps and i mean right before , best way to dry is like this .......>>>>......Temperature... In the first 3 days the best temperature is 68f. This way the buds will dry quick, but not too fast. After 3 days the temperature should be lowered to about 64f  to slow down the process.

Humidity. In the first 3 days the relative humidity should be around 50%. After three days the relative humidity should rise to about 60%, again with the reason to slow down the drying process.

Air circulation. It's very important there's enough air circulation in the room, so it's advisable to use an electric driven fan. A ventilation fan can also come in handy to control the temperature and humidity. Don't point the fan directly on the buds though, this will dry the cannabis buds unevenly.

Darkness. The room should be relatively dark as light, especially direct sunlight, degrades THC.

The buds are dried when you can easily snap the stem. If it bends, it needs some more time. You will know when it happens…

6. Gotta love when someone responds to something from five years ago...

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Im going to respond to this old ass thread so in the future, anyone looking for the answer to this question can hopefully take my advice.

Through my trials and tribulations, i have come to realize that IF you have healthy plants start to finish (with nutes &room dialed in) AND harvest at the proper time. And i really mean the proper time. doesn't matter if it dries in 3 days or 10, The buds smell great before their even bottled. And after 5 days cure, have their distinctive smell becoming more intense by the day. I've come to experience that the hay smell came from early harvest-early flush- or inconsistant ph and growing conditions. When i solved these problems, the quality increased dramatically, and no more hay smell.

• Like Like x 1