help on planting in clay type soil...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by yinyang, May 25, 2011.

1. Im starting my outdoor plot tomorow morning so hoping to get some feedback before then...
    I have a nice location but the soil is kindof wet/clay like as it is near a little swamp. Im adding lambert trio mix (which consists of: Sphagnum Peat Moss, Kelp Meal, Crab & Shrimp Flour) into the holes with worm castings and bat guano. The plants are already about 2ft tall growing in potting mix so that is also going into the holes.

Should I also add perlite considering the wet/clay like soil?
    I want to make sure I wont have any water clogging...

And last but not least should I transplant directly into the soil? or should I cut the bottom of the pots and put them in the ground?
    Ive also heard of placing garbage bags at the bottom of the holes...which method would help more in my situation?

Any help is appreciated!

2. just plant them in the ground and thell be fine its hard to over water plants if there in the grounds

3. Add perlite to help improve drainage, as clay sucks.

Personally, I'd cut the bottom of the buckets out, and plant the entire bucket so that other roots won't be able to entangle into to your plants, and strangle it.

4. interesting...hmm now im debating about digging holes or digging a bed

5. Take them out of the pot before transplanting. Perlite would be a good additive in wet soils.

6. damn so much contradictory information lol
    getting everything ready now, I might just experiment with different methods for every couple plants...

7. You need to ask yourself...What would Tyrone Biggums do??

8. hahaha haul the shit there then smoke a bowl and walk away without planting. lol fukit im tired
    Sall good tho gives me more time to think this through then go back tomorow...
    soil is so wet i almost wanna keep them in pots but that would kinda put all the good stuff i bought to waste...