Help New Lights

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by heisenberg4420, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Hello I in the market to get a new grow light and have been considering led but dont know much about them. I was leaning towards a 300 watt mars hydro until I read a few reviews about light going out and the hassle of getting them fixed. One of the reasons I considered led was heat issue but I also read leds can produce a lot of heat. So my question is for anyone with experience how much heat do leds produce compared to a 400watt hid, what is a good quality led thats not super expensive, or should I avoid led and get hid with an air cooled hood? Any info/input is appreciated. I am growing in a 2' × 4' × 6' tent.

2. The LEDs are absolutely wonderful lights. They grow beautiful buds. But to get one of even decent quality, you're going to have to lay down some bucks. I don't know about you, but I really don't enjoy having to buy something twice and I've seen a lot of that going on in the LED lighting department. LOL If it's cheap, you can bet it's not worth your time or money. The HID/HPS combos also grow seriously good bud too and are much less pricey than the LEDs...but with these lights and growing in confined spaces comes the heat issue. If you go with that type light, you definitely will need to use an air cooled reflector and ducting system with in-line fan just to remove enough of the heat away from your plants to control the temp around them. You'll also need more air movement inside the tent at all times in addition to the in line fan to keep heat moving around and to act as exercise for your plants. But in a small space, any light is going to produce some heat. Granted, some produce more than others. If you can afford it, I'd say heck yea. Go ahead and buy a 300 watt LED. But if you're not willing to put down the cash to get a decent one, go with the HID/HPS ballast, air-cooled hood and ducting like I said above. If 300 watts is all you're going to be working with, that's pretty easily manageable in a tent the size you've got. Lots of info in the new grower threads here on the forum as well as the lighting and grow setup threads for ideas and illustration. Good luck! TWW