Help new! How much light do i need?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Lopaka, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Ok. I am looking at a tent measuring 48x24x48. I am looking for a led light. I need to know what watts i need for that space and a few suggestions on light to purchase. Thank you for any help you can give.

2. Get a taller tent

3. You'll need to allow around 16" for your lighting and hangers.. So you'll have about 24" of total grow height.. You'll wish you got at least a 6' tall tent first grow.. And actually if your pot it 12" high you'll only have about 12" of grow space.. Not enough to really grow anything

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. That's helpful lol

5. Just being honest and trying to save you money and aggravation

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Thank you i really appreciate that. But i am stuck with the about a 48 inch height. So i was looking for the best light set up for a tent measuring 48in long, 24 in deep, and 48 in tall. That is about as much space i have to work with. Do you have a suggestions on what i can do with that space? Thank you so much for any help you can give.

7. IMO You only need about 400 watts for that space. Sunshine delivers about 1000w per sq/m approx 100W/sq/ft

You have 8 Sq/ft so 800 watts would be sunlight but half for indoors is plenty. The main diff between sunlight and artificial light is sunlights delivers 1000 watts/M the entire length of the plant where your lights will only go down a foot at most.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Even 300 would do. Its a small space

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thank you. So 400 watts is what im looking for. Do you have any suggestions on a light? Also how far away should i keep the light away from plants in that small of space? Thank you for responding.

10. I would go with LED otherwise it will get hot in there. I personally believe most of the LEDs, Chinese and Name Brand perform equally well however, you must read the actual draw from the wall. Almost all of them will state this,don't buy otherwise. And its always lower than what they claim the light is because they watts claim is its equivalent value for substituting a High Press Sodium or Metal Halide lights from days gone by. So make sure you get 1 light that draws 400 watts or better 2 that draw 200 and prop them both on an angle

• Like Like x 1
  11. For the light distance start at 12 inches if they burn move it up. You can start at 24 inches and move down but either way you won't know your sweet spot till you burn them. All strains are different and even sisters plants are different as to how much light they can take. If the leaves start curling up at the edge its too close. This will happen within about 12 - 18 hours if its too close

12. I find that the younger plants after 1 week can take quite a lot of light but once the get over a foot the become sensitive. I'm not sure if everyone thinks this way would like to hear.

13. So a 400 watt light or 2, 200 watt lights. I am thinking about getting a 48x24x48 if i can fine it. If not then im looking at a 48x24x60. Would the lights be the same for either tent? For does that little extra height make it go up to a 600 watt? What tent is better? I'm not looking to go crazy here just a few plants. I would prefer to keep it small but what kind of yield will I get from that tent versus stepping it up a little bit. Thank you

14. Its the same you just keep moving up and or train your plants to flatten out across the entire 2x4 ft. area

15. Get the 48/24/60..idk why no one is saying the obvious.. You'll lose money trying to grow a plant you can only allow to get 16" tall.. Even for a auto that isn't reasonable.. I swear I'm not trying to be a ass, just trying to look out for ya

• Like Like x 1
  16. Even if you have to get a 24/24/60 it's better height wise.. These plants need height way more than width.. Even if you just grow one plant at a time the 60" tall will benefit you in final weight

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thank you i appreciate that. But if i go to the 60 height do i need to go up in watts?

18. Nah, I'd get a good quality 600 watt led and you'll have a awesome harvest

• Like Like x 1
  19. So I thinking. Vivosun 48×24×60. 6 inch carbon filter with speed control, soil. Thats what im thinking, does that sound right? All i need to know is what led light to get? What watt? Solo 400watt, two 200watt, or solo 600watt? For 2 plants possibly? Thanks all.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Agree with @Shitizen. Get at least a 6ft tall tent. I have a 2x4x5 and was not enoufh room. Height wise. I was running a 250w hps. Then went overkill to the 600w hps cooltube. Then to a 4x4x6. Love the height. Giddy up :)

Sent from my LG-M320G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1