Help needed with growroom

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by lowryder21, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Hello guys, my first post here and I would like to say that this an amazing forum! I decided to try and grow some good shit. The place that will be my growroom is a small room above the wc. Its dimensions are: width: 1.60m length: 1.40 m height: 0.85 m.
    As this Is my first grow I have some questions that I hope you can answer. 1)Height is a problem for sure and that's why I intend to use 250w cfl. You think two would be ok for 6 autoflowering strains or I would need more light?

2)The room I am talking about has no windows, only a small door that gives me access to it. What could I do with the ventilation? The way I see it I will have to drill the wall and put an exhaust fan right? I wish I could avoid drilling the wall but I don't see an alternativeL.Then I am going to connect the carbon filter to the fan and that's all that has to do with ventilation and odor control I suppose. I am a bit confused with that matter and If someone could explain me the process needed in order to ventilate the room properly I would be thankful. Sorry if I sound totally noobish. That's all for now and thanks in advance for your answers folks!

2. if your looking for quality bud, don't use cfl's... thats an opinion... others have had good luck, i wouldn't waste the time

replace the door, cut two holes, one for intake(passive) one for exhaust

3. First of all thanks a lot for your reply.In order to use hps isn't the height of my room a problem?And i believe i would have some trouble with heat too.You see in this room there is also a heater and i may sound stupid but it scares me a bit.That's why i thought of using cfls that emit much less heat.When you say about removing the door could you please be more specific?Where am i supposed to open the holes if not in the wall?Again sorry if i sound a bit stupid but it's my first grow and questions arise all the time.

4. no, just replace the door so when your done growing you can put back the original door.... just use a real door... you cant have light leaks

5. What if i duct taped the door i showed you?And i would open a hole in the lower part of the door for the intake.And since i can't do anything else i would have to drill a hole in the wall to put the exhaust fan right?Is that all i need for ventilation?

6. don't jerry rig something to make it work... spend five dollars and purchase another door... this way you have your original to put back and something you can cut holes in... no light can get in or out of your grow space with the lights are suppose to be off...this is why people choose to use tents in closets.. to ensure no light leaks

the best way to move air is always to push the air to the attic or outside... at a bare minimum you push the hot air from the grow space to another room than your pulling your fresh air from so you plants have fresh cool air... in a pinch you can replace a door and cut the holes at the bottom for fresh air(passive) and cut holes at the top for exhaust... but the last option will be short lived once you get your first grow done... the results will cause you to slash your house to bits for a quality product...

growing indoors is a expensive hobby... your gonna spend money no matter what you do

if you think heat is going to be a factor in your grow... go LED... its super expensive but it will pay for itself after a few grows... between cooling and quality of output... just do alot of research and be willing to spend some bucks

once again... this is all my opinion... if your not willing to spend the money go cfl... but please don't post up about having low yields or fluffy buds... this is just what they do...

7. My friend i would like to thank you once again for taking the time to discuss this.I am willing to spend about 400-450 euros which i think is a fair good amount for about 6 autoflowering strains.I want to do it right.Right now without anything in the room the temperature is about 21.In another forum they advised me not to put hps because of the heat it is going to produce and because of the height its gonna take,and the height of my desired growroom is already very limited.
    I have no problem spending some bucks more for a descent door if it to get done right believe me.I measured my current door and its length is 0.6 m,while its width is 0.75 m.What i am thinking is that if i put the exhaust fan on the door i would have problem when i open it to access my growroom.Unless i was able to put the fan directly on the door without using the hose and attach the carbon filter directly to it.Then i believe it would be a bit easier.But i know this possibly can't be done.I don't know if you get my plan because my english is not that good.
    Its not that i am not willing to spend money,the two cfls i intend to buy totally cost 130 euros.With that money i believe i would get a descent hps kit.
    Two are my main problems:1)The fact i cannot drill holes to the wall to create a proper ventilation the way i imagine it,because the house i live is rented.
    2)The odor problem because above all top priority is security.That's the main reason i want to have a proper ventilation is to make the carbon filter work efficiently, since i see no other alternatives that can have the same result with the filter.Sorry for my big post.If you have any other suggestions i am open to hear them.Thanks again.:)

8. your english is fine... start out with CFL's... sometimes its easier to have more lights with lower wattage than just two giant cfl's.... believe me... i would know... i hate the increase in heat that CFL's create... this is why for my little grow i just dumped 250 bucks on a new LED light.... its just easier to have little or no heat is small grow spaces...

if your grow was my grow

i would replace the door... use a PC fan mounted to the door up high to remove the heat from the grow with a home made air filter like this one
    http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/557994-carbon-scrubber-step-step.html

and use LED lighting or CFL's... if i were to go cfl i would use bulk packs and lots of lights rather than two giant one's

here's and example to give you something to look at... while its not a perfect design i would do... its a basic idea
    http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...set-grow-room-sunshine-led-2-plant-setup.html

*tip* the US does not use Celsius or meters... hard for me to figure out what size and temp your giving...

9. Nice suggestion concerning the pc fans my friend!I believe something like this could be done and i hadn't thought it before!I even thought about making a growbox inside the attic but i am not very good with tools etc at such level:( In order to ventilate a room like this i would need more than one pc fan i suppose?
    I know led is better and you are right mate, but i cannot afford it because i will have to adjust my budget and this would not be easy right now.The dilemma i was in existed between hps and cfls.I really wish i could use it.Maybe i could add two 125w with the other two lights or it would create too much heat?I believe your suggestion with many small clf lights is much better dude and will try it.Thank you very much for the tips so far:).
    My growroom isn't that big.Its length is 5 feet,its width 4.5 feet and its height,the big disadvantage, it is hardly 3 feet.As for the temperature it is about 70F.

10. i see all the time different training methods and such, which made me think that if heigh is an issue couldn't you train you plants to grow horizontally? like instead of the light on top of plants, just lst it sideways and put the light on the door or something? just a thought, i have no idea if it will work but i have noticed pot to be pretty hardy and grows well, like a weed.

just an idea, please point out holes in idea

11. Yes toki i also thought about it but i am a noob concerning not only growrooms but flowering techniques etc too.For now i want to solve the ventilation problem which i believe is important.You believe i would be ok with two strong pc fans for the exhaust?I will google lst in order to help me with height problem too, its a nice idea my friend.Thanks for your suggestion :).

12. i don't know how much air you would be able push through a filter with a pc fan, but i don't imagine it'd be enough.

13. yep.. you can train a plant to grow sideways... totally possible..

and yes two PC fans would be strong enough... one large one works quite well in my little grow space... in fact i had to slow the fan down so it wouldn't bow the sides of my tent in...

people don't give PC fans their due... there's some pretty bad ass fans out there... but if money was no object or if stealth was no concern i would prefer a inline fan, especially if you go HPS/MH

14. My friend how many lowryder plants you think i would be able to fit in a place like this?I wanted to take advantage of the lenght and width of my room to fit more besides growing sideways, i find it a bit difficult.I have many books concerning these facts though(seeding,flowering etc) and i will search it for sure.I believe two strong pc fans would be more convinient for my room but i would definitely like to put an inline exhaust fan so that the carbon filter fits nicely to it.I dont know if i would be able to attach the carbon scrubber in a pc fan.
    So to sum this up:You think i had better buy a new door to begin with.Forgot to mention it, the link you gave about the custom air filter a few posts back was very helpful:).Then i will drill holes on the upper part of the door and mount the filter you showed me with the pc fan?I guess its not that easy to use a descent inline fan with that filter?Sorry if i misunderstood, but i am a bit stoned right now:p.
    I dont mind the noise concerning the stealth issue,i am far more interested in the odor problem.As for the money i would be able to spend up to 100 euros for a nice fan.With the dimensions i gave you you believe i would be able to fit an hps?

15. Hello guys,sorry for bumping i finally decided to buy a homebox s to be more comfortable with the height,ventilation issues etc.I am going to put it in my kitchen.I am going to use a 400w hps system.With a little searching i did i guess i would be ok with proper ventilation.If i exhausted the air of my homebox tent in my kitchen you think there would be a problem?What i mean is no ducting outside the tent.I hope you know what i mean.I could have a window open that will be about 2 meters away from my tent, that would be ok concerning ventilation?