help needed with cfl/ hps setup

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by rixxy24, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Hi blades, ill only post a question as I'm probably in the wrong part of GC. I've just germed an afgan kush ryder and already have a 2wk old easyryder . Until I added the AKR today I was using a dual spectrum 250w cfl (big thing) today after adding akr into tent (secret jardin 120) I popped my 600w hps into tent. The problem is heat as its 2 damn hot using anything but cfl, no room for enough fans. So I turned it back off and reverted to 1x 250w dual spec (cfl) ,and 1x 250w veg cfl. I can add pics etc if I get help.....will my (now) 1z dual spec and 1x veg be ok throughout grow up to harvest growing the above plants...pls help.
    Jahh ok I added pics, the bright splodge at back of pics inc visible plant, is an extra 250w cfl veg

ForumRunner_20120423_170430.png

ForumRunner_20120423_170358.png

2. [quote name='"rixxy24"']Hi blades, ill only post a question as I'm probably in the wrong part of GC. I've just germed an afgan kush ryder and already have a 2wk old easyryder . Until I added the AKR today I was using a dual spectrum 250w cfl (big thing) today after adding akr into tent (secret jardin 120) I popped my 600w hps into tent. The problem is heat as its 2 damn hot using anything but cfl, no room for enough fans. So I turned it back off and reverted to 1x 250w dual spec (cfl) ,and 1x 250w veg cfl. I can add pics etc if I get help.....will my (now) 1z dual spec and 1x veg be ok throughout grow up to harvest growing the above plants...pls help.
    Jahh ok I added pics, the bright splodge at back of pics inc visible plant, is an extra 250w cfl veg

[/quote]

Hi dont all rush, its cool I'm set. 1red spec 1dual jahh

3. The cfl's will work alright but, the 600 hid is supreme for large dense buds...;)

To run the hid your going to need some serious ventilation in that tent to keep temps around 75*(under 80*) and exchange air.
    Cool fresh air coming in and exhausting heat out of the tent is key. The lower the ambient temp of the room the tent is in helps.
    Think about using a cooltube with a centrifugal fan...

4. extraction hood reflector only needed for heat problems realy.Scrubber if thats a carbon filter tthe hen yes scrubber hung over the light connected to ducting then ducting connected to fan outside the tent.

5. I have a Secret Jardin DR90 II running a 600w HPS. Temps started out mid 80's to 91.7F max. Got a 5" coolshade cooltube, Vents TT125 fan (380CFM) 5" Carbon filter, 125mm Ducting & a Vents TT 5" intake fan (190CFM) blowing air through my cooltube. Relying on negative pressure to bring in fresh air (Got a Artic F12 PC fan to help the negative pressure do its thing.)

Temps are now running never above 76F and plent of fresh air getting into the tent.

6. [quote name='"rizzle1990"']I have a Secret Jardin DR90 II running a 600w HPS. Temps started out mid 80's to 91.7F max. Got a 5" coolshade cooltube, Vents TT125 fan (380CFM) 5" Carbon filter, 125mm Ducting & a Vents TT 5" intake fan (190CFM) blowing air through my cooltube. Relying on negative pressure to bring in fresh air (Got a Artic F12 PC fan to help the negative pressure do its thing.)

Temps are now running never above 76F and plent of fresh air getting into the tent.[/quote]

Thanks. I just moved my grow and its worse now so ill invest in a cool tube asap. Also any ideas how to hide the heat omited from tent via inline fan and my ducting? Its flowing into an unused but joined room, the part my grow is in is too hot cos I went bat shit with insulation lol. Any help welcome until I get cool tube :)

7. How about going with led's?....Solves the heat issue and with less venting duct's the cooltube use, you will have lots of room in that tent for the plants and work area, plus your saving energy dollors......

You can get a decent 240 watt that would be comparable to a 400-600 hid for around 3-$350.00

8. I run my lights through the night 9pm-9am much cooler! hope this helps:cool:

9. [quote name='"herb ballistic"']I run my lights through the night 9pm-9am much cooler! hope this helps:cool:[/quote]

Yes that does work nicely, I'm growing autos though (plus a sleeskunk freebie) so for now I run 20/4 lights on. I have night at 9am till 1pm but no reasons for that. I will run as you say when the autos are chopped and my sleeskunk goes into 12/12 thanks buddy good idea.

10. [quote name='"colafarmer"']How about going with led's?....Solves the heat issue and with less venting duct's the cooltube use, you will have lots of room in that tent for the plants and work area, plus your saving energy dollors......

You can get a decent 240 watt that would be comparable to a 400-600 hid for around 3-$350.00[/quote]

Is that right, I did a lot of reading when I set up and bought my bits, thinking about it that's 2yrs ago now a bit longer cos I like to plan n stick with it lol. As I said I looked at leds but ppl said they caused leafy buds? Id LOVE led! Just now spent £100.01 on a cool tube with wings I had to pop on :) it seems better a bit heat wise but I'm a twot and for all my planning lol this is my mess....ok ill post in a sec lol my app dies if I take a pic.

11. [quote name='"rixxy24"']

Is that right, I did a lot of reading when I set up and bought my bits, thinking about it that's 2yrs ago now a bit longer cos I like to plan n stick with it lol. As I said I looked at leds but ppl said they caused leafy buds? Id LOVE led! Just now spent £100.01 on a cool tube with wings I had to pop on :) it seems better a bit heat wise but I'm a twot and for all my planning lol this is my mess....ok ill post in a sec lol my app dies if I take a pic.[/quote]

Ok the pics my mess :)

ForumRunner_20120508_205405.png

12. I run my lights 8pm-8am. Cooler & cheeper. :D

I'll grab a pic of my set up for you so you can compare.

13. I took all the cfl out today due to temps. The 8u cfl get hot, took temps up too high. I'm now at about 29c (sorry America idk in F my bad) with the cool tube in. The thing Im seeing is the growth pointing up like a pineapple I guess due to tiny wings on cooltube ? I can now move closer. Thanks to all for your help I Apriciate it all. Peace.

ForumRunner_20120508_205941.png

ForumRunner_20120508_210013.png

14. [quote name='"rizzle1990"']I run my lights 8pm-8am. Cooler & cheeper. :D

I'll grab a pic of my set up for you so you can compare.[/quote]

Nice one mate. Ill put a few more on of mine then :)

15. I wish my fan was out of my tent. I have half a foot all round, I'm skinny and fit but god it is tough. Dr120 is tent. I think pressure is ok, not sure how to tell. My fans only 4".

ForumRunner_20120508_210309.png

Only have this much room in front

ForumRunner_20120508_210624.png