help needed on lighting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by in_need_of_weed, Aug 19, 2006.

1. hi im new to this game so ill make a start. . ive recently aquired a industrial 400 watt hps light with ballast and everything. but the bulb in it works but gets too hot and its pure white, used for lighting not growing so i baught a solarburst 400 watt bulb and it wont start up i also got a 250 watt bulb and tha same problem ive tryed them in my mates set up and they work a dream. im not sure if i need another type of starter or what. any help will be apriciated. thanx:confused:

2. is thare any thing on the light at all like a label that gives the brand and what not if so post what it says or take a clear pic and post it then the board can be more help

3. Do not mix and match wattages -- the bulb must be the right wattage for the socket and ballast.

A HPS light shouldn't be pure white, are you sure it isn't MH?

4. hi thanx for the intrest right the bulb i got with tha ballast says on it philips hpi- t 400 w made in belgium lol. but the conductor inside where tha light comes from is only bout 2 inches long an bout inch wide alot shorter an stumpier than tha one i baughtwhich is bout 5 inches long an bout half inch wide. and its only pure white coz tha original bulb waz used for lighting in a factory rather than for growing

5. what about a new ignition fing its like it wont ignight. with the original bulb its like it ignights then lights up but the new one dont ignight it dont make any noise at all.

6. Yes, make sure it's even hps and not MH.

7. stop being fuckin cheap and get a joint from www.insidesun.com either that or stick with floro's if you cant choose between those two you shouldnt be growing anyway

8. right ive jus discovered that the original bulb is mh not hps so does that mean the ballast is no good for the hps bulb or is there any way round it

9. Im not an expert but unless the system is switchable you shouldnt be putting a MH bulb in a HPS ballast or vice versa

10. put the mh bulb back in for veg save your money buy a hps set up wile your plants veg with the mh . the hps will get as hot as well so buy a good fan to keep it cool since you will need it with the hps as well . the white light of the mh is good for the veg so it wont hurt any thing might even make them grow faster since hps is more in the red light and mh in the blue spectrum

11. thanx cn u look at my other thread and see if u no anything bout my other problem thnx

12. i sent you a email threw your name on here i can post your pics pm me for email if you didnt get it