Help needed diy spidermite spray needed please

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by gentrykappa, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Hello. Thank you so much for any help in advance, i will give out all my rep. So I situation it such that I do not have any money for products and need to come up with a mite spray with what i have ordinary household items hopefully. Iv heard of different recipes. I was just wondering if anyone can advise me on or share experience or links to a webpage with recipe that will actually work and people actually agree is proven

2. I make up a spray bottle of water, add a good squirt of dish detergent, a capful of rubbing alcohol, And I put some neem oil too, but the dish soap and water with alcohol works really well.

Add alcohol just before spraying so it doesn't evaporate. Then spray the living shit out of those plants and surface soil (be sure to get UNDER all foliage)

A second wash after a day or two is sometimes needed, and I usually do a nice soil flush afterwards to keep the contaminants down to a minimum

Hope this helps, if you gotta buy stuff at most 5buvks for soap and alcohol, nice and cheap :)

3. Perfect ok I will use your recipe. Hopefulls others will view this thread and verify your method is one that works well

4. I've seen multiple people swear by just doing a water only spray down 2-3 times, spaced about three days apart.

That said... a quart of Mighty Wash is like $10, a bottle of neem oil that'd last multiple grows is also under $20. For as expensive as this hobby can be neither of those should be out of the question IMO

5. If using soap don't use one with anti bacterial agents added. Ivory or Castile soap work good. A tea can also be made with lavender flowers and sprayed on the foliage for control and prevention.

PW

6. #6 Storm Crow, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2012
    Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap! Safe, cheap, effective, available at most health food stores, many markets and online! Bugs CAN'T become immune to it because it kills by smothering them! :D It's already a liquid, so no hassles mixing! And it can be easily rinsed off the next day with luke-warm water. No poison residues on your buds!:hello:

How to Use Dr. Bronners As Insecticidal Soap | eHow.com

One of the ingredients in the soap is hemp seed oil! And it is an excellent facial soap, too!

Granny :wave:

7. Peperment soap huh? Intresting. I'm a little stuck.. no car gas or money though. Making a recipe with soap is more than likely what ill have to do. Ok so no antibacterial. Got it. Anyother concensis or confirmations to above recipes is greatly appreciated

8. Thanks guys
    im making a mite spray with dawn dish soap if its not antibacterial, water and a cap of alcohol just before to spraying BUT NO NEEM OIL if you think thatll work. Im flate broke still.

9. Brief update, iv found mites in flowering room again. Hav not sprayed yet but there are Very few on one plan.t
    I made a spray out of a squirt of dawn non antibacterial soap, water and a cap of rubbing alcohol just prior to spraying. I was told to use neem oil in this recipe too but have no car at the moment to go buy it. Also i have this "eco smart organic" product already and looking for opinions on it
    http://www.vitacost.com/Images/Produ...5591001259.jpg

Garden Insect Killer (24 oz spray bottle)
    Kills and repels garden insects and mites. Kills exposed eggs, larvae and adult stages.
    ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFE – WORKS ON CONTACT! SPRAY AND HARVEST ON SAME DAY!
    Product Description..Kills and repels garden insects and mites. Kills exposed eggs, larvae and adult stages.......ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFE – WORKS ON CONTACT! SPRAY AND HARVEST ON SAME DAY! KILLS ON CONTACT.....NET CONTENTS: 24 FL. OZ. (1 PT. 8 FL. OZ. / 709 mL)
    Active Ingredients: ...Rosemary Oil ……………………………………….. 0.25%
    Peppermint Oil ………………………………………0.25%
    Thyme Oil …………………………………………….. 0.25%
    Clove Oil ………………………………………………. 0.25%
    Other Ingredients*………………………………. 99.00%
    Total …………………………………………………. 100.00%

*Water, Mineral Oil (USP), Octadecenoic Acid Potassium Salt, Lecithin

10. Ingredients sound safe, I won't vouch for the product tho, cuz I have no idea for sure on safety.

Use your homemade spray for now, if numbers are low it should take care of them. Just get on it with SOMETHING before you're dealing with a full blown infestation,

11. You can also boil down some tobacco with a lil soap spray 1 a day till gone. I didn't think it work but I just got rid of mites myself

12. look up caliclean its a all organic its habanero peppers. becareful not to pepper spray yourself lol

13. Here you go. http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/335656-natural-insecticides-fungicides-10.html

Look at the last page for an explanation about using oils as a pesticide/fungicide.

If you don't want to skim through it, here's the spoonfed version; Rosemary, Peppermint, Lavender, Clove and Neem oils are nature's most effective, safe and abundant sources of pest control.

Don't apply Neem oil past the 2nd week of flowering though, as it will linger on the flowers. Rosemary, peppermint and lavender should be okay to use up until the 6th week. Possibly longer, though the terpines (oil compound that creates the smells of things) could linger on the flowers if applied too late.
    Use at your own risk past week 6; I have not tested it yet.

Generally speaking though, aside from the smell, the phytotoxicity dissipates within 24 hours for the oils other than Neem. Neem oil usually lasts for 2 - 3 days.

This should take care of any issues involving spider mites; if you're interested, go check out the rest of the Organics section. Tons of interesting remedies and "tools" for combating pest problems.

14. the best method besides mighty wash that I KNOW works is 1 tsp. garlic powder,.5 tsp caynne peppers,1 tbsp dish soap, and water that method I KNOW works you just mix all that in the spray bottle and give a good shake spray your plant with the lights off and make sure a fan is running to he drying of that mixture wait a good hour before turning light on and your good for AT LEAST 3 weeks this method has worked for me 100% of the time I have not bought any pesticides or organicides since trying this method.And if you have mites it only takes ONE application to kill em

15. GK, if you happen to have an old DC transformer laying around (I've heard an old cell phone charger will work but haven't tried it) you can make your own MightyWash - nothing but acid water.
    Do a YouTube search for acid water & there are a couple of good tutorials.

Otherwise, keep using the soap based sprays, but repeat every 3-4 days for three weeks. Soaps won't kill the eggs, it just dissolves the exoskeletons on the mite. These bastards can go from egg to sexually active and reproducing adult in 2_3 weeks, so the only way to knock them down is dedicated, repeated applications. Kill them after they hatch but before they can fornicate on your plants & lay new eggs.
    It may be helpful to use a plain water spray 24 hours after each spray soap application, to rid then plant of the soap. It won't hurt you, but tastes like ass when you smoke it:eek:

Hope this helps, bestaluck to ya.