Help my plant PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Mashiro, Apr 17, 2012.

1. She is 35 days old in Expert Gardener Potting Soil. My 150W HPS is 13 inches away, she's in a 5 gallon pot and I've fed her Foxfarms nutes since week 2. I water about 3-4 times a week.

Here she is...

[​IMG]

2. Is it a more recent development and the plant looked healthy before? Looks similar to mine but worse. Though yours isn't likely due to the same cause. Looks like a phosphorous deficiency or lockout due to excessive salts or nute imbalance. You may have overfed. In a 5 gal container that month+ old plant has hardly begun to use the adequate nutes already in the soil. It could also be a potasium or magnesium lockup too making it look that way. Usually with soil my experience has been when I have problems like that I flush the heck out of the plant with tap water first then let it dry out for a few days or more. Usually new growth improves though the already yellow leaves won't get any better. Then moderately begin a feeding program only when the plants show a deficiency. Remember with nutes the typical rule is less is more.

3. Thanks, Red.

I'll try flushing her and see if the new growth improves. It is a prenuted soil so it just may be salt buildup.

4. what is "Expert Gardener Potting Soil."

what is the brand name of it.....you know, like who makes it.

are there slow release fertilizers in it? if so flushing would be baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

peat moss:perlite ratio? any other additives like pine bark or anything? all that should be on the bag.

-OSUB

5. The brand name is Expert Gardener. It's manufactured by Swiss Farms Products.

It does have time release fertilizers in it. On the bag it says 55% forest compost, sphagnum peat, perlite, wetting agent and ... plant food. :eek:

Why is it so bad to flush is time release ferts?

6. time release fertilizers are activated each time you water.

the best way to describe it would be to picture a jawbreaker candy.

imagine how slow it would dissolve if you placed it on top of a screen and poured water over it.

^^except its not a jawbreaker, its releasing nutrients. so, if you add TONS of water, youll release TONS of nutrients, surely burning the sh*t out of your plant.

i would recommend getting new soil and transplanting. shake off as much of the old soil on the plants as you can without harming the main root mass.

promix makes a good brand....if you can only get promix with pure sphagnum peat moss, get a bag of perlite to mix it with.

if you can get ocean forest, happy frog, or advanced sunshine mix #4, those will all work well, too. even roots organics. they would all be better than the medium you are currently using.

until than, stop feeding it bottled nutrients.

-OSUB

7. Okay, got some FFOF on the way. Should I transplant it into a smaller pot as well? Because now I know it was a dumb move to go up to such a large pot so quickly.

8. I would leave it in its current pot it's already in
    That way it will grow into its pot

9. Try the flush first. True you should have started off with a smaller pot, particularly if you haven't used that brand of soil before. It should work and would be simpler than having to dump out that much soil and shake or rinse enough off the roots. But otherwise I tend to stick with something that many other posters report works well for MJ, like FFOF. OSUB's right about the time release type soils though.