Help my plant is dying First time DWC

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Thcfanatic, Nov 18, 2014.

1. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416320421.170702.jpg

1000 watt light
    Idk what's going on help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Your baby is too small for that amount of lumens just yet mate! 

3. You don't give much info so it's hard to say. How long have they been in the buckets? Do you have roots in the nute solution? It's easy to stress them if you rush that too fast, too much light or heat before they are ready for it. The bigger issue I'd suspect from the pic though might be light leaks. The air tube going in the top could allow light into the solution and so could the rocks themselves if they allow light to penetrate into the solution. With light leaks you can end up with buckets full of slime.

Maybe someone else has better ideas but off the top of my head those seem worth considering. They sell covers and it's not too hard to make one for yourself, would probably be a good idea to deal with potential light leaks even if that isn't the major problem yet.

4. Well it's only been 2 weeks 3 weeks tomorrow in the buckets

Yea yana the roots are in the water a lot actually ! I used florakleen I'm kinda lost right now , so l switch back to my 400 watt light

5. Here are some others ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416323245.567511.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416323258.451501.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416323267.550359.jpg

They seem to be doing fine I will buy a cover today thanks !!

6. Mate if you have a dimmable ballast I would suggest cranking it down a notch for the moment....unless you have 20 or so underneath that 1000 watt light, all you are doing is wasting electricity and hurting the plants at this stage....

1000 watts for a few young plants is the equivalent of trying to feed a 3 course meal to a baby.....the result is sickness. 

7. Thanks ! I changed the light back to my 400 watt hps .. So basically it's heat stress? Is it weird that only one of my plants is suffering from this?

8. how about you give a tad more info than your lamp wattage :confused_2:

We need all the info on your grow including:

What type of medium; soil or hydro?
    What brand and type of soil?
    Indoors or outdoors?
    What strain?
    How old are the plants?
    What type of lights and how many watts?
    How far from the lights?
    What is your watering frequency and source of water?
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    What are the temps and humidity in the room?
    What size pots?
    Any bugs? Look real close.
    Any other pertinent info?

If any of these questions have already been answered please disregard as I cut and paste this for everyone.

9. If you've got good roots in the water that's probably not the issue unless the heat is a lot higher than normal household temps. PH could be an issue as someone else already mentioned and so could others, I'll leave it to them past this one note.

As far as weird that only one plant suffered from it, not to me. When I set up my first DWC it didn't recirculate and when I got to checking ph and such bucket by bucket I was surprised to find that they varied a fair bit. What I did was to set up a recirculating system where it went from the main bucket or reservoir to a pump, in the top-side of the buckets and drained back out through the return line. I've had no problems of the sort since.

But, I just grow for me and on a small scale so others with more time, room and money to play with have probably had more hands on experience, so I'll leave the details to them.

10. We need all the info on your grow including:

What type of medium; soil or hydro?
    Hydro
    What brand and type of soil?
    Indoors or outdoors?
    Indoors
    What strain?
    00' kush and auto flower northern lights feminised seeds
    How old are the plants?
    About 3 weeks old
    What type of lights and how many watts?
    Hps 1000 watt just switched over to 400 watts
    How far from the lights?
    2/3 feet or less
    What is your watering frequency and source of water?
    RO water ph around 5.5-6.0
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    What are the temps and humidity in the room?
    74f 19% humidity
    What size pots?
    5 gal buck 10" net pots
    Any bugs? Look real close.
    Any other pertinent info?
    No bugs at all

11. #12 Yana Usdi, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
    Ah hell, I'll make one last post. Based on your response above 19% humidity is pretty low, if they've been under the 1k light since you put them into the buckets it seems likely that between too much light and low humidity they were just stressed. The heat you mention is great, but the strong light before they are rooted and low humidity might have been issues. Start with the 400 next time and switch once they are well rooted and growing.

Light might be a bit close too especially for young plants, I don't use a 1k so I'll leave that to someone who does but make sure you check that.

On edit here's a light chart for you, shows lumens by range, type of light source and wattage.

user65379_pic216656_1258038545.jpg

What I tend to do with young and poorly or newly rooted plants is to keep them toward the middle to the top of the range, adjusting as needed. Some experience with your strains and humidity/other issues will help you nail that down. Humidity never gets that low here, heat is more my issue. When they are well into flowering and growing vigorously then I play more with the middle to the low end of the range moving the lights up again when they get too close. Older plants are tougher.

12. The photo in the middle had yellow spots mites maybe look under the leaves for white specks.

13. As stated before, it's a ph problem. You have rubbery deformed leaves on all plants. Ph should be 6-6.2

Sent from a used tampon, launched from Mars...

14. As stated above rubbery looking leaves curling as they are looks to be a ph problem recirculating the pots will greatly help this. If you can't do that then ph regularly at room temperature not cold from the tap as you may get slightly different readings. Also in a hydro system u ideally want 5.6 - 5.8
    Good luck thou bro

15. Looks like its a combination of pH and light stress to my unprofessional eye

16. Jack don't you run into problems running your ph low? I tend to keep my ph at 6.2 and have no worries, I'll show you a chart to explain better what I mean... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416619184.204752.jpg

Sent from a used tampon, launched from Mars...

17. Try a cal - mag boost. Or use a grow fertilizer with a high -P-K level. I'm recommend dyna-grow

18. Looks like heat and over watering..get more air to the roots

19. Just feed water for few days, then lightly back onto your regimen