Help my grow box is over 100 degrees

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by RIP519, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Hey Friends, My Grow Box Is At 104f
    I Turned The Lights Off Right Away,I Just Planted A Germinated Seed A Few Hours Ago , So Hopefully I Can Just Put It On The Window Sill And Fix This Prob Before It Flowers

Ive Got 4 23w Cfl's In There
    Ive Got A Intake Fan, Al Tho I Did Not Cut A Square Hole, Instead I Drilled 3 2'' Holes:smoking:
    And Its In My Closet Covered With A Jacket, I Dont Know If Im Risking A Fire, And The Idea Of It Is Killing My Buz Big Time

Here Are Some Pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks For Reading, Plz Help Me Out, Im A Long Time Smoker, But This Is My First Grow

2. Don't cover it with the jacket. By doing this you are insulating the box. And yes it definitely is considered a fire hazard.

Don't worry thought, you found the problem quick so you can fix it. First, can you place the box in a more vented area? why not install more fans around it i mean exhaust and intake fans to get some circulation?

all the ideas i got for you man good luck

3. Thanks Man Il Def Add Some More Fans, But I Cant Put It In A Better Vented Area Cuz Its Guta Stay Hidden, Untill Sept At Least When I Move Out., What Temp Would I Get To Be Risking A Fire? Cuz Thats My Main Concern

4. You still a bit from a fire, so not much to be concerned of as of yet. However, It would have gotten a lot hotter if went unnoticed. I say just get some air circulation and heat should drop. But there is no sudden danger of a fire as of yet.

just keep it vented and keep your eye on it and you should be fine

5. Intake fan? you should have a hole for intake and a fan for exaust. You want to pull hot air from your box and keep a low pressure inside it. You dont want a fan to push air into the box and cause a pressure. this will create a higher temp and the high pressure will cause a much stronger odor. Go with exaust fan at the top and a port near the bottom so that new air can come in.

6. So i Went To The Home Depot And Got Another Fan.
    Check It Out
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I Shouldent Use A Intake Fan, Only A Out Take?

7. use a bigger fan for exhaust than intake... a hole would work pressure-wise, but if that shit's 100 degrees, you'd like about 20 degrees of cooling...

put the exhaust fan high and the intake low...

and go get some flat white paint...

8. try just making a door to cover the open end of the box out of cardboard or peiece of plywood that jacket is gonna keep the heat in and its kinda dangerous as far as fires go.

and btw if your just germinating the seed you should have it in a dark spot until its ready to be planted so idk why you would have it in there with all the lights on and shit ;)

9. The Seeds Arent Germinating In The Box There In A zip with paper towels under my bed

10. Also, is that tinfoil I see? If it is, get rid of that $hit asap.

11. Your fan isn't doing much like that. Buy a computer fan? Newegg.com Buy however many you need, they're cheap. Buy an adapter for the amperage you need at 12vadapters.com and wire the fan TO the box so that air MUST go in or MUST go out. With the way it is now I guarantee you're seeing less than 50% efficiency because its not pushing air out, air doesn't WANT to go out. It just moves it around and a little bit will go out because there's a hole.

12. Whats Wrong With Aluminum Foil, The Box Isent Set Up Yet Cuz Im Fixing It Up
    what should i do paint it white?

13. yea it'll soak up more light than it reflects...

14. I Just Attached A Pretty Powerful Exhaust Fan To Blow Air Out On The Side Right Under The Lights,. I Also Cut A Big Hole In The bottom Of The Box, And Ive Got Another Fan Blowing Air In So Ive Got Good Circulation I Havent Tried It Yet With These New Fans In The But Im Sure It Will Be Much Cooler, Because when i First Started It Only Had 3 2 Inch Holes In The Bottom For Air, Dose That Seem Right?

15. Yeah I guess what I usually hear is make your intake passive (no fans) and concetrate all fan power on pushing out. Why push in and push out? Push lots out, and then it causes air to suck in.

I guess I am trying to say do all of your fans point outwards, and then maybe make the intake hole about 1 to 2 times the size of the exhaust ports that way lots of air flows in nice and easy. The fans will be able to run at a higher speed wtih a larger intake, but conversely you have to deal with light leakage and all of that.

16. alright update here, ive removed all tinfoil, And painted it white, i will also point both fans outwards

17. looks like you have softwhite cfl's i could be wrong just seems like they are in the pics. you going to want to replace them with daylight bulbs. maybe keep one softwhite to fill out the light spectrum.

18. Yep, look on the package for 5000k or higher. I use 6500k. Anything lower is for flowering not veging.

19. Hey mate,

Decent construction you have there...

If you're worried about fires in the closet, just buy a smoke alarm/detector for $15 or so dollars and place it above the top of the closet the grow box is in.. Also you can buy mini fire extinguishers for $10 or less you can keep near.. I'm yet to grow anything.. but it's just an idea to be sure and safe.

Later habib

20. hey guys since im doing a autoflower strain (Auto Hindu Kush), Dosent It Skip The Veg State?