Help my first hydro grow isnt starting off well, sick babies *Pics*

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Stroomz, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Ok so these babies are on about day 7 so this is a weeks worth of growth or should I say no growth. As you can see the one plant which was doing ok is drooping over and the other plant is very lite colored and hasn't grown at all. I have no idea what is wrong with them I tried taking water out of the Rez but I don't think that was it so I put some fresh water back. I am using ph test liquid to test ph and it looked good in the beginning of the week then. Turned green which means it went basic then I fixed it back to orange red which is more acidic. Ppm is 300 in the right plant and about 345 in the left plant. You can see humidity and air temps on my gauge. Water temp should be cool it's in a basement. Any ideas? They should be a lot healthier looking then this I feel bad for them please help...
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427767730.155497.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427767746.890067.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427767760.604587.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427767775.307732.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427767790.723402.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427767810.475245.jpg
    Also hooked up my second led but there not on yet I don't think the babies need that much light if there not even doing well under the cfl
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427767874.730290.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

2. They look a little small for hot a soup.. but I'm no pro... how close are those cfls,, is the plant leaf surface temp high is what I'm asking... and is it fully bubbling and misting the netpot.. and have you always used liquid for the ph, just curious.. looks like a good set up..

3. Also to add a question, isn't red/orange like a ph of 3.. green is golden. That's right around 6.0.. a little less would be best 5.5 to 5.8..

4. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427768741.625774.jpg
    Orange red is 5.5 anything green is way to high, yellow is ok around 6.5..

I haven't felt the plants heat level but I've always started young ones like this and they didn't have heat issues.
    I am confused with the Rez in the pic you can see it just touches the bottom of the net pot but should it bee higher? I here some people say no and some people say it should be wet in the clay

I guess I could be a little more yellow with the ph. But it's so damn hard to get perfect

5. Ahh, ok stroomz, my chart is a little different colored I apologize bro.. and no, to my knowledge the water lever is good., is that the air line in the top of the bucket, or do you have it bubbling up from the bottom?

6. And for sure some misting of the leaves with water 1 hour before the lights come on.. Luke warm.. and it is hard to get the perfect PH. Though it's loads easier with a meter.. there not very expensive.. and it's well worth it...

7. There's a 2" air stone connected to that sitting on the bottom, and thanks. It must be the ph though idk what else would cause them not to grow, any other thoughts GC?

8. If the pH has been off, uptake of certain nutes is locked out.
    Dump half the res and top back up with water and pH to 5.8. Have the level 1/2" to 1" into the bottom of the netpot. 

9. That's for both of them. They don't need 300 ppms yet.
    The first one might be a goner...

10. Ok so I went ahead and dumped the whole Rez because there was a lot of material from the clay pellets floating in there(I did rinse them before using) so it looked very cloudy. New Rez water I am not touching at all the color is much yellower pretty much dead on between 6.0-6.5 and ppm should be back to the plain water number I got which was 150-170....praying my diesel berry and bubblegum come back to life!

11. Yeah, just let em try and recover. You can mist em lightly once or twice a day. Other than that, LITFA

12. 6.5 is way too high, drop it down to 5.5 and get yourself a ph pen the solution test isn't accurate enough for hydro.

13. Do you have these seedlings in rockwool or any kind of plugs? if they are too wet they could be suffocating. Sorry if I missed that. They don't need any nutrients yet either. Make sure you rinse the hell out of your hydroton next time when you think its good rinse it a couple more times.

14. Also - from the looks of that 5th picture looks like you need a lot more air in that bucket. Want a rolling "boil" that alone will be enough to get water up to your plants before the roots hit the water.

15. So today it looks even worse, starting to get discouraged and think hydro isn't for me

But I'll see how they are tomorrow, I am out of options I tried everything you guys said

16. #16 Stroomz, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
    Turned up pump all the way

There's no nutes anymore since last night

Water level is between .5-1" into the bottom of the pellets

Ph is about 6.3 I guess it could go lower but I don't think that's going to drastically change this, the plant was growing for the first three days fine then just stopped when I removed them from the rockwool and put in my dwc buckets....

I'm just mad I dropped over a grand on all my equipment and I can't even get it started, dirt is way easier.
    😡😤😖

17. pH needs to be real close to 5.8. And, you should get a pen.
    Stick with it. You'll get it. 

18. I think the water level needs to be much higher I'm looking at other peoples pictures and the clay balls are wet and the water level much higher. I'm also going to add another pump and air stone to each I have extra. Crossing fingers and I'll lower ph

19. Crankz is right bro, stick with it and yes, he is on the money again, ph of 6.3 is bad.. keep at it.. Rome wasn't built in a day my friend

20. Moist. Others are moist. Don't get it soaking wet.