Help My first grow with a CUTTING

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by themasta09, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Hey man, sorry I didn't respond to your PM, I was running late going from job 1 to job 2 and just stopped at the house to read my e-mail :laughing:

Everything looks pretty good! You've got some cupping, do a soil test and make sure you're in between 6.5-7 pH...give it a few days, if it's still looking a little funky we can go down the list from there. Keep it up dude!

2. #42 jd4083, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2009
    Just read your post about the HPS, awesome dude! Now you're in the big leagues, well sorta :laughing: ventilation/odor control is about to be 100%, absolutely, positively necessary soon not just for your safety and security but also so that the plant doesn't die, so start planning for that now and you're golden! Once you get the 250w in there it'll be a whole new ballgame...and there's a chance that it might even be too much light, but cross that bridge when (if) ya get to it.

One question though, did you win an HPS light with ballast marketed to indoor growers or an HPS security light that is not wired with a ballast? I don't want to tell you something you already know but just in case ya didn't, HID lights (like HPS/MH/CMH) require something called a ballast which basically converts the energy from your home's electrical supply into the frequency necessary to operate the light. A lot of people on these forums like to buy cheap 65-150w HPS security lights (floodlights basically) and then wire them up with homemade ballast setups...which is fine if you really know what you're doing, albeit a little african-engineered....but it's not really all that safe in the long run, and for the money you spend to half-ass it you could buy a whole setup and then some.

:wave:

edit- in regards to the cupping again, it also may simply be that the lights you have put out enough heat to be negatively affecting the plants, or that you are throwing so many lumens at such a close distance to a still relatively tiny plant that it actually might be damaging it. Hard to tell for sure without first testing pH, then stabilizing the levels and moving on from there....or simply pulling the lights a bit higher or taking a couple out altogether.

3. Hi jd and thanks.
    Ive now taken the LEDs out and slightly moved all the lights away (so they are not as focused on the plant itself)
    With the 6 cfls now on it theres 6900 Lumens.
    Ive moved the fan to flow throught the leaves more, and now during the day I open the box and the wardrobe to let it get more fresh air.
    The tips of a few of the leaves have gone brown but only a tiny bit, I think this is due to using 'baby bio' N 10 P 4 K 1.
    So ui wont use that anymore and i have just chucked a good litre of plian water through it to help it dissolve the fert a bit.

Like you said about cupping, i think now the plant is bigger with lots of noew growth I will go straight into 12/12 for around 4 weeks then take 3 lights out and go to flower (as HPS WILL BE TOO MUCH TO FLOWER AS ITS 7000-8000 lUMENS)

I aint greedy so for my first time anything will be good, and hopefully by the time its ready to harvest i will have more 'Proper' equipment - right lights,right ferts,right soil.

I have looked all over the net and from what i can tell my plant will be ok going to this schedule now.

I was going to get some 'Miracle grow soluble plant feed' which has a balance of 4-5-4 npk.
    What do you rthink of that for a feed (its gotta be better than baby bio)

RESPECT DUDE AND PEACE (AND DONT WORK TO HARD MATE)
    Will stick a photo on later tonight

4. hi dude i would check that "Miracle grow soluble plant feed" out well b4 u use it as i was thinkin that ones not even for fruit & veg plants, so could be bad for mj if ur smokin it lol, unless im think of some1 else ur in uk like me yea? as you can get some good nutes on ebay canna & biobizz are just 2 of the makes popular in uk i use biobizz that i got from ebay it was like a tenner for bio-grow & bio-bloom which has served me well

5. #45 themasta09, Aug 12, 2009
    Hi 'mills69' thanks for your input, yep im up in stoke on trent.
    Rather than buying fert thru ebay, is there anything good in say 'wilkos or focus or B&Q'
    I have just flushed her with a liter of plain water, as i was worried about the tips on a few leaves, but it dont seem too bad to be honest.

Now im moving into 12/12 until finish hopefully you can suggest a decnt food, and let me know when i need to use the fert.

I have the box wide open with window open (as being is a cardboard box,in a wardrobe not much fresh air was getting in) with the pics is there anything you can suggest that i could do better?

Ive tried to point out the 'brown' with RED squares and the blue square indicates the leaves 'curling or something'??? (not all tips are brown id say 40% i just indicated the clearest for you)

As for lights 2 cfls are balanced on the pot 3 inches from plant, the one on the right is heldbetween the pot and the rail 5 inch from plant, and then 3 on rail above plant 6-7 from plant.

Thanks mate

Attached Files:

6. mate from what ive seen there aint really shit in those shops i been in em all & more looking for nutes etc your best bet is to find a hydro shop near you i know ur growing in soil like me but they do stock nutes for soil etc also a good uk hydro site for most of your needs is www.growell.co.uk might want to check it out even if u dont buy from them its good for getting an idea of the products u might want then find em cheaper on ebay lol

ps check out the nutes they got so u can have a little read see which u like

7. Wait, you're flipping to 12/12 now? Don't man, you shouldn't start flowering until at least it throws some preflowers!!

8. #48 themasta09, Aug 12, 2009
    Its just i noticed quite a few people have done this from a clone, and with what my plant is doing i just thought it may help, especially as i aint got proper lights.
    (ok so if i wait for preflowers-how long should i wait)
    also i aint after a big crop basically its just an experiment, but if it works then i will defo be going more 'pro' getting mh lights the right soil and nutes.

But as ive been guided by you 2 and it seems to be going ok i will wait.
    Your 'pupil' listen and obeys.

Back to my main points now-what is the 'browning'? and the 'curling' as shown in photos??
    and what about how ive got the lights (now removed the LEDS)

Many thanks to both 'mills69' and 'jd' for your input.

Respect due guys.:wave:

9. oH YEAH THE DUAL PC FAN IS BALANCED ON THE TUB BLOWING AIR AS INDICATED BY THE ARROWS IS THIS OK?

@JD Also mate i was gonna go to 12/12/ with the current light setup then in 4 weeks take 4 lights out to flower? I thopught thats how its supposed to be done?? Man i get confused!?!

Attached Files:

• 1122.JPG
      1122.JPG
      File size:
      294.9 KB
      Views:
  10. is there any chance u can get closer pics of the "brownin" as i cant see it 2 well, prob jus my eyes lol, is there any chance the tips have been touching the lights as from what i could see its looks like mine does when a tip touches a light but im really not sure, also im still learning so jd4083 is prob more experenced than me, but il still try 2 help best i can

11. dude i wouldnt take any lights out when flowering, you could change them for ones with the 2700k color spectrum, (thats just my opinion & recommended by many)

12. Plants are looking a little light burned, give it another day with the lights farther back and also check the soil like I mentioned when you get a chance. I noticed you said something about too much light in flowering - if anything you want more for flowering than veg? For example that one room I showed you a picture of earlier in the thread, I veg with about 330w total and flower with almost 600w!

When you switch from 24/8 or 18/6 or whatever to 12/12 you are kickstarting your plants into flowering! Once you do that there's no turning back....well, after you harvest you can reveg the mom and run her through again...but very stressful, good chance of hermie, and not a very good chance of a quality harvest.

I've got a bunch of projects with deadlines in an hour so I'll take care of that and then slide back here before work so I can try to expound a bit more

13. #53 jd4083, Aug 12, 2009
    and if that is light burn it's probably my fault, I might have made it sound like CFLs CANNOT burn plants and do not put off any heat, that's actually not true, just much less heat than HIDs....

here's the deal though, in order for you to isolate the major issue with your plant you need to do a few things - the pH test like I said (before AND after watering, also test the pH and PPM of your water if you can!), and for right now, stop using ferts, even the baby bio! (never used that so I have no experience with it anyways, but give it a break so that you can figure out what's causing the issues) etc. etc.

14. #54 themasta09, Aug 12, 2009
    Cheers guys,
    Yep im trying to just 'move' the lights slightly away, although they have never been closer than 2-3 inches.
    I not using baby bio again, and today i flushed a liter of clean water through her, but no ne went into the 'overspill saucer' under the plant, (yet on sat i put 1.5 liters thru and it literally all ran throught o the saucer).

Im gonna try and get some ph paper aT least tomorrw, and what you say about flowering i will be able to either- 1,add a hps light with either a 70w or 250w bulb (depends if i can get a 250 bulb),
    2-just use the hps 70w on its own (im not sure what i should do with what youve said about more light).

MORE PHOTOS, IVE DONE A BIT OF CIRCLING, (in pic 1&2 you can see the brown tips-but it is only a few leaves)
    in pic 3 aint that preflower or something??? i aint got a clue ??
    and the pic 4 if you look close at those leaves in the square that looks like the leaves are maturing adding that furry coat? also in pic 4 you can see wot i was on about with the 'curling'-what is that???

I av to say since 'opening' up her home today so she can top up on fresh air she seems happier (or is it just me seeing things???)

Attached Files:

15. hey dude i just remembered if u go in the "sick plants & problems" section theres a sticky called Plant abuse chart (the top sticky) check out the 3 links in there & you should be able to find out ur problem its helped me, as i wouldnt like to say its 1 thing & it turns out its not lol although i was thinkin its a tiny bit or nute burn

ps theres some good pics on the second link in the plant abuse thread

16. #56 themasta09, Aug 12, 2009
    Cheers mills i reckon she has come on leaps and bounds tho since i started her 11 days ago.
    Pic 4 shows the furring occuring, which i see on other plants so i guess its a good sign, im gonna go check that plant abuse thread (but usually goes over my head, lol)

I just checked the threads and to be hojnest it looks like it could be loads of different reason, theres no clear definate answer.
    But i think i will get some 'bonemeal' and 'maxicrop seaweed' what do you 2 think???
    (it cant be lack of nitrogen as baby bio is full of nitrogen)

17. no its def not N deficiency (well im 99% sure it aint) as for 'bonemeal' and 'maxicrop seaweed' ive never used either so thats best answered by jd4083 or someone, personally i think its bit of nute burn from that baby bio, if its not getting worst & its not on the new growth i think you should be fine

18. It doesnt seem to be on new growth but as there was new growth last night i wont know til tomoorw, but anyway i'll give baby bio a miss now and just use water for a week or two, until i get some decent stuff.

Trouble is with this grow what i forgot to say is that it MUST be done and dryed by end of october at the latest (due to landlord) this was the reason i wanted it to push it thru to 12/12 asap, but now i remebered to tell you this, maybe your info can elp me achive this somehow.

Thanks mills - yes be interesting what my next steps are

19. well mate concidering its gotta be done by then u may have to start flowering kinda soon, as average flowering time is 8 weeks but many tend to be bit longer & some alot longer, also im sure you know mate but remember plants grow 2-3 times bigger when then start flowering, & boy is that fucking true, im on my first grow thats not using autoflowering plants, my plants been on 12/12 for just over 2 weeks & its already almost doubled in size! bear that in mind! make sure u got the room for it lol

ps i would see what jd also has to say as i think he mentioned b4 its not best idea to start flowering if you got plant probs

20. Cheers mills yeah gotta be finished and gone unfortunately by end of october. (it probably will change by then but i just need to know this just in case i do have to move.

Well i just checked on her and closed window as its starting to get cool in there, and she seems to be happy. But ive gotta say she seems to be drinking water like mad atm?? wonder why that is?

Gonna smoke some sisters now and watch footy c'mon england!!!:hello: