Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Help! Moldy Weed?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ChrisBrad, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Hey whats up guys, I was wondering if you guys could tell me how long weed lasts before it goes moldy. On some earlier threads I saw some guys saying that as long as weed is properly stored, It shouldn't get moldy at all, perhaps get a little stale. I've had my weed in a dank tank for 5 months now, and its gotten a smidgen bit stale and I'm sketched if what I believe to be trichomes aren't trichomes but mold. The weed has been stored in a dank tank double bagged at room temperature. Its not apparent that its moldy, but its not like I have a stereoscope lying around to check. What do you think?

2. Why the fuck there are people that just do not post picture, which would make it 100 times easier.
    These guys was right, if you store it correctly, it will last you long ass time.
    Picture, if you want to be sure..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Here's an image

Attached Files:

4. This is how I do it ........
    Store it in glass canning jar.
    First few weeks burp it every day.
    Then start every couple days couple more weeks then I go to once a week open for few minutes close it up.
    This will stop any mold issues.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks man, from now on I'll use the preservative tip

6. Karma Puis, if its not to much to ask could you take a quick gander at it?

7. Not sure I would want advice from someone who goes off simply because you didn't have a picture up yet. The question is in a beginner's section. Personally he could have said, "if you post a pic I might be able to help you a little better.". Or he could have just STFU and let someone else assist...lol. In any event it looks good from those pics but if you're really concerned let it air a little and double check. Some closer pics could help also.

check out my first grow/journal https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1423342/

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 KarmaPuis, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    I never said im proffesional, but i really dont find how people think, when they ask for a help, writing a long description, while they can do a 10 sec work - take a photo and just post it... It does not need that much logic, to do that...
    STFU and let someone else assist? i helped everyone to assist when asked for a pic..

And yes, Chris, that looks like a mold, not 100% sure about my opinion. but i would smoke it anyways.
    If you are 100% sure that u stored it properly, and there is no chance that anything went wrong with storing method, then its not mold.

9. @ChrisBrad FWIW I've been smoking <cough, hack, wheeze> moldy weed for 45 <cough, hack, wheeze> gatdamn <hack...hack> years! Ain't a <cough, hack, wheeze> doggone thing wrong with it <wheeeezzeeeeeeer.....>

Seriously though there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with that danky-dank except that it has a whole lot of trichomes on it! Enjoy it.

10. #10 Quantary, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    There is a way that you can check for mold besides smell and appearance of the weed. Darken the room you're in except for a desk lamp. Take one of the suspect buds and hold it in front of the lamp and break it into a few pieces. If there is mold present, you will see the spores floating everywhere as they are illuminated by the light. I found this method by accident during my last grow, seeing what looked like dust coming from some buds while trimming them I was like wtf?

I still kept everything because it was only a small number of lower buds that were affected, and decided to try to kill the mold spores by putting them in the oven at 200 for 90 minutes. I did affect the flavor somewhat, but it was a small price to pay to not waste a lot of otherwise great weed. Since your bud is already cured, if you are super worried about it wouldn't hurt it to pop it in the oven.

Even if there is some mold, it probably won't harm you at all, especially if you use a water pipe. Unless you have a compromised immune system, you're not likely to get a lung fungal infection. I shudder to think how much mold I smoked in brick weed.

• Like Like x 1