Help me with my SCROG!

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by GanjaGregg, Mar 6, 2017.

1. #1 GanjaGregg, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    What's up GC?

So I am on day 22 of veg from rooted clone and need a little advice. Here's all background info:

Grow Room: 2ft x 2ft x 4ft cabinet
    Lights: 150w HPS, 2x 25w T5s 6500k
    Circulation: Passive Intake w 2x 220cfm exhaust fans and 1x 4" internal circulation fan
    Temps/RH: highs of 80 deg/65% and lows of 60 deg/40%
    Strains: 1x Kataract Kush, 1x Platinum Bubba
    Pot Size: 25g smartpot. 22 in circumference, 12 in high
    Medium: No Till ROLS - 2:2:1 peat:compost:rice hulls
    Nutrients: Dr Earth Tomato, Neem cake, crab shell, oyster shell, biochar, azomite. Compost tea, aloe foliars, and coconut water supplements
    Training: SCROG net at 8" above soil line, 3" mesh
    *if I missed anything just ask

So where I need help is:

1. Should I start removing leaves/bud sites below the net? I removed very few but feel like there's still a lot that won't get light. There are two stretchy tops being covered completely that I am thinking of removing
    2. How many tops should I have per plant to grow out and train? I have like 9-10 total tops now but it's getting crowded in certain directions, especially if I grow out the other tops and train them horizontally. Is it possible to have too many tops to start with?

Thanks in advance. This pic is from yesterday and you can see where I tied down a couple tops already, which led to a bunch of other tops shooting up. I know that's the point but I feel like I'm not leaving room for the tops to grow vertically IMG_7765.JPG IMG_7747.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. Do you have grass growing in you're pot also?? My last plant was 10" tall hade 22 cola buds that I super cropped everyone ended up just shy off 4 zips. Only 10 inches tall but about 30 inches round. Very thick dense nugs. I didn't even use a screen. Just LST'd her and away she went.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nice dude 4 zs is great. Can I ask what your light/tent size was? I would be happy with 100g dry for my 2x2/150w setup (~3.5oz). And it's annual ryegrass/ryegrain depending on who you ask haha part of a 3 plant cover crop mix of clover/rye/hairy vetch. The rye just took off. Check out this pic from today with the lawn mowed lol IMG_7793.JPG
    All the clippings are put back into the soil via mulch IMG_7787.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  4. I have 2x2x5.3 in my closet. 2 led unit, growing 2 kimbo.

Just keep tucking her further away once she poke far enough so you can tuck her to the next opening. I would aim for 75-85% filled. I also did a custom pvc pipe made scrog but I did it with 2 inch holes and packed in there tight. Keep tucking her and don't be like me and just tuck without having a clear picture of where each branch go. I have a few branches crossing each other and it block air flow.

As for lollipopping, you don't have to do it now. I would wait for the stretch during flower and once that is done I usually clean up the lower 15%. And the 15-30% I just remove the fan leaves without touching the little bud site. Some people remove 30% but I don't. I see good use for those nice little nugs.

• Like Like x 2
  5. How many watts on your LEDs are you running? I want some LEDs but my cab is too short.

And thanks for the tips man. I kinda have an idea of where I want the tops to grow horizontally. Would you remove some lower branches/tops that are in crowded areas vs trying to move them into a Keats positions? I have one that's pretty big but it's under one of my bigger main tops with no where to go

And got ya, will wait until early flower to lollipop the girls. I'll probably remove popcorn bud sites tho tbh.

6. Popcorn bud are usually on the tiny branch or newly branch from an existing branch. All my main branch give me good size nug about the half or full thumb size, those are useful for joints, baking, oil, and many other uses. Reason I cut the 15% is because not enough light and they take longer to finish compare to top canopy and I want to harvest the whole plant at once. Plus when I water with the wand, it splashes and I am afraid it might cause mold so I got rid of the lower bud site. Just stating why I keep the top 15%-30%, but do what work best for you.

I have par600 viparspectra which only consume about 285w, and Mars 300 which is equivalent to 165w, total 450w.

Feel free to remove the newer branch that won't make it pass the scrog screen, I kept a few and they are nice little nugs but in my future grow I would probably remove them all to get better air flow. Air flow is very important, it will help keep mold away and help bud development. I have 3 fans, one under the plant on the floor facing 45 degree and 2 6" fan with clip level with the canopy blowing on high.

Btw not sure what Keats position is lol. I am few weeks away from finishing up my 1st grow and I am still new but have hundreds of hours logged on doing research and homework. So before you do anything, do a little research before relying on my word. Happy growing.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. i have never seen someone grow grass with a pot plant lol
    it looks nice and natural tho :p

• Like Like x 1
  8. Oh got ya I see the distinction. But yea that was my main concern, airflow. Im going to get the branch removed and a couple other doubled up fan leaves for just that reason. I have an extra fan imma add to the floor like you, thanks for the idea.

And yea I do my research before doing anything and take everything said in forums with a grain of salt. But I appreciate your insight nonetheless and thank you for chiming in!

Good luck on your Grow! You got a journal I can follow along on?

9. lol it's not your lawn type, spreading perennial grass. It's annual rye grass mixed with hairy vetch and clover. The grass just got out of control because I got lazy (high) on clipping it. Lol

Here's a pic of it yesterday after a good cut IMG_7787.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  10. Not really a journal because I wasn't sure what I was doing 100%. But I did wrote a few thread about my grow and problem, just click on my username and click on my post and it will pop up.

Air flow very important. A fan underneath blowing up will help the heat from the light stay on top so the exhaust fan can remove the hot air. Plus I can tell you this from my experience. The places that has air flow (where my floor fan is facing) is very bushy compare to the branch that did not any air flow.

Has constant table fan on medium...
    [​IMG]

This is no air flow...
    [​IMG]

Even when I lollipop, the area start to grow again because it always has constant fresh air.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cool I'll check out your threads.

And looking good man, nice short node spacing and they look frosty af! Makes perfect sense about the airflow, especially in flower I'm assuming. And you can clearly see the difference in your pics, thanks for that. I also use a pump sprayer to water, perfect for small, LSTd grows, but it does send spray everywhere so I see what you mean. I need to be careful

How much time you got left on those girls?

12. I check trichomes and they are mostly cloudy with few clear and no sign of amber yet so I say week or 2.

Little nervous about drying and curing because this will be my 1st time.

You want airflow in veg and flower. Veg is for strong thicker stem, and thicker stem = bigger cola.

In flower it help prevent mold and the like. It also like nature where pollen fly in the wind, give it some air and it will help develop the bud even more.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Thanks man. I'm used to growing outside so rarely have these concerns. This is my first indoor Grow.

And for curing I highly recommend getting some mason jars and a few of these

www.amazon.com/Caliber-Digital-Hygromter-Western-Humidor

It's what I use when curing and since they fit in the jars, you can see what the rh/temps are in your curing jar without having to open it. They work great and help me keep the perfect RH.

14. Links not working but just go to Amazon and enter the name

15. I have been looking at those hygrometer but I end up getting the main unit with 5 wireless unit with display. This way I can check the main monitor and not have to pull jar out to look. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dude now I want one of those lol got a link?

17. #17 Ocmaster, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    I got the 5 instead of 7, you can have up to 8 wireless unit and each wireless has their own display too.

Currently in flower so I set it up and put it everywhere in the grow room. You will be surprise at the differences of RH and temp due to fan, lights, shade, the plant themselves. Main use is for drying and curing though.

• Like Like x 2
  18. #18 Ocmaster, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    For some reason I can't link amazon.

Search for ws-08 on amazon search bar.
    Ambient weather ws-08-05.

Adding a picture of it.
    [​IMG]

Downside, they are a almost twice as long as hygrometer but it will be in a decently big jar with plenty of room it is not a concern.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yea that's what I was thinking of doing with my calibers ever since we talked about it. I remembered I had em but theyre in storage (haven't grown since buying my house a year and a half ago). I have to bust em out now though lol I could imagine there are slight differences everywhere. I have 4 of them so I'll check it out

And thanks for the link, may be time to upgrade. I was getting that same error tho, weird. Those are some nice looking units you got, let me know how they work out.

20. So far they work great. I leave the main monitor next to my bed side and I set it on cycle all unit. I put one at the bottom of my tent near the pot. 2nd I put it on the scrog. 3rd I put it at the top canopy. 4th I put it on top of my led unit. 5th and last one I put it in my little area for my clones.

Work great and basically super easy to set up and use.

• Like Like x 2