Help me with my electrical set up

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by KingChron420, Oct 19, 2015.

1. View attachment 1901769

I growing out of a small bomb shelter below my house!! It's an 14x8x9 room I am converting into two separate rooms!! Hey can anyone help me figure out my electrical!! My room is running off the same power as the back bed rooms and one bathroom!! I tested the power box last night to make sure!! I also ran a 600w a fan an intake fan and a 200w veg light off one outlet last night and everything worked fine and didn't blow a fuse!! I am wondering how I can see if I am close to blowing a fuse or how hard it would be to change where we run the power from? I am renting so I don't wanna do anything crazy!! Help me or let me know if you have any inside info!!

2. To find out how close you are to blowing a fuse is pretty easy.

1) determine the breaker amperage for that circuit, which should be visible on the breaker.
    2) determine what items are connected to the breaker.
    3) Determine the amps needed by each item - To determine amps used you simply divide wattage by voltage ( in this case 110) For example a 23w cfl would be: 23 ÷ 110 = .209 amps, a 600w lamp would be 600 ÷ 100 = 5.45 amps
    4) once you have the amperage for all items plugged in to that ciruit add them up. You want to keep total load below 80% of the rated breaker amperage. So for a 20amp breaker you want to stay below a 16 amp draw.

One thing to watch for is if you plan on using a hair dryer in that bathroom. Even a small hair dryer can pull 1300w, which is over 11 amps alone.

3. Jay has you covered above. Our grow space is a converted spare bedroom and had some of the same issues. Hubs went in and ran the circuits for our room and figured out the total draw on each circuit. He rerouted some of them so he could isolate our grow room on circuits dedicated to it only. He also set it up where if we have a power outage, he can plug the whole room up to the spare generator and keep it going. I am blessed to be married to an electrician. LOL Don't dive into this yourself unless you really understand what you're dealing with and what you're end game is. You sure don't want to burn anything down over a grow room, so hire somebody qualified to do it for you if you have to. It's worth the bucks to have the peace of knowing your electrical service can handle the load your room creates. Sounds like you've got a killer spot. Good luck!! TWW