Help Me Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Enchanted, Jun 5, 2013.

1. So I have this unused desktop computer I want to upgrade and clean up. I really want to do this so I can run Photoshop, along with Fruit Loops 11 soothly without tons of dragging lag and crashing. So I'll post the specs below and I'll trust you guys with that advice.

I'm on a eh budget, but I'll let you guys decide on parts really. I just want something I can pull Photoshop, Fruity Loops 11, and burn and store songs, and pictures on without it crashing or slowing down. So, I'm all eyes at this point. I'mpress me :)

Specs:

• AMD Dual-Core E-300 Dual-Core processor 1.30GHz, 1MB Total Cache
    • 4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 8GB)
    • 500GB 3.5 SATA hard drive
    • Integrated AMD Radeon HD6300 Series Graphics With HDMI
    • 6x SuperMulti drive Watch movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats
    If it matter's what brand the PC is then here's a link. eMachine

2. Just so I can get some more info to make the best recommendations I can, it'd be very helpful if you could do the following:

Please go to Start>Run (or just in the search bar on 7 or just start typing in 8)>"System Information"

Make sure you're on System Summary, then click in the right column and do Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C, then paste your results here.

3. Yeah we are gonna need to see some more specs first, like the motherboard because without that you cannot even start with knowing what types of other hardware will fit and function with it.

4. Sorry, didn't know you needed to go that far into it. As of right now, it's not even set-up and my monitor is currently being used. I'll get back to you guys as soon as I can.

5. Nah, you're good. I just did a bit of research (thank you very much for the link  you provided) and it looks like your CPU is non-upgradable because rather than a typical, upgradable socket, your cpu is soldered right onto your motherboard. CPU was going to be my primary recommendation, which is why I asked for more info, but since that doesn't seem possible, the only other things I think might help would be to go with solid state for your main hard drive (keep the 500GB for storage, but have it boot and run photoshop/ Fruit Loops off the SSD) and upgrade your RAM to 6GB. You're still going to be bottlenecked by your CPU, but when you decide to upgrade your whole PC, you can make sure it'll accept the same type of RAM and move your SSD over, so it's not a complete wasted investment.

6. After exploring the link you posted in your original post, if this pc is the one you currently own I would not advise to try and upgrade it. Upgrading it will just result in you having to buy all the parts for a normal computer, including a new case and assemble it. In other words you would just be buying a new computer, which is basically your only option at this point. 

Here is a post I found on a computer website about this specific emachine.

If you are interested in talking with us here about building your own PC you can do that, I would suspect to build a PC that could run photoshop and FL studio 11 would cost about 600 or potentially less I'm not exactly sure of hardware prices these days.  Im assuming you have a monitor keyboard mouse and stuff like that already so all you'd need is whats in the case.

Motherboard
    Power supply
    Video Card
    CPU
    Memory
    Harddrive (could save the one you have now I believe)

7. I tried photoshop with frosted flakes and cocopuffs. Rice krispies worked pretty well. I have never done it with fruit loops. Please let us know how it goes. Thanks.

8. I'm just better off saving up and buying a brand new labtop. Thanks guys, I probably would've went stupid and bought some parts to find out it's not even upgradable.

Even though I have found an answer, I still appreiciate taking the time out of your day to research this for me.