Help me settle a argument

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Sirjordan186, Feb 5, 2010.

1. #1 Sirjordan186, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
    Okay so my friend and i were smoking and he said it would be cool to have a fish tank in your car like where the glove box is. While we decided that yes it would be sweet i dont think it would work. and by work i mean keep the fish alive. he thinks it will but we live in ohio, and looking outside at the 5in of snow + whats still falling i say it wont. i think that the car battery would die and then the fish would freeze or cook in the summer. wut u think?
    also send me a IM if you use yahoo.
    Dont forgot to vote and post why!!!!!

2. No thoughs from anyone? wow

3. you would need a battery tender to keep the charge. as far as temp, i think they make climate controls for fish tanks. somebody else should know about that. it has been done. but still a cool idea. the tank would have to be able to seal so it does not splash. you would need a way of opening the sealed top to feed and what not. short answer it is possible. but if you have to ask it might not be the right mod for you to do.

4. Well we are not going to do it, i still think a dynamic heater/cooler would be impractical cuz it would have to keep the water not only above freezing but keep it within a certian range at all times as to not kill the fish with shock

5. It's possible, but retarded.

They have battery powered pumps/heaters and whatnot.

Movement (from driving) would stress the fish out greatly, and would not thrive.

In summer the fish would cook. You could have cold water fish, and would be fine in winter.

6. but i live in OHIO, its temperate here. its snowing now and in a few months it will be hot as hell. Do they even have a way to cool the tank water as well as heat it?

7. there are other ways of cooling in the summer. i am pretty sure a prius uses a solar cooling cell. you could tap the A/C and store cold water in a separate chamber. feed the water in as the tank warms up. evaporative cooling. as far as heating goes. a seat heater with a thermostat would warm the tank.

or simply
    Aquarium Water Heaters & Fish Tank Heaters | Marine Depot

8. a seat heater? really? Fish are sensitive though! you would have to maintain a set temp range at all times or they could die of shock. you know like how you put new fish in the top of the tank still in the old bag so they get used to water temp

9. They sell water chillers, which average $500.00 for a small tank.

If the temperature fluctuates, the fish will be very prone to disease and probably die.

10. #10 Sirjordan186, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
    can you guys include a yes it would or a no it wont to your posts? this is a personal debate with a friend and i wanna rub as many no's into his face as possible. Or sit in shame that i was wrong!
    Edit: Also if anyone thinks they can convince me it will work, or is bored like me and wants to talk, IM me

11. Yes it is possible, but very expensive and improbable.

12. here in ohio? you gotta be shitting me I walked to my car today to grab something and their was snow and ice going sideways and my face hurt from the ice. The vibrations would probably kill the fish along with the lack of oxygen most fish in the cold here are like zombies till the thaw

13. Dude i know rite! im smoking out a window and i get like ice stuck in my hair and shit!

14. with some basic electronic know how. a couple bucks and some home made components. YES it will work. isolate the tank on rubber bushings, that will deal with the vibrations.
    the seat heater was an example. but it would work. you need a computer and a thermostat. when the water is up to temp the heater would shut off. same system for cooling.... smoked a bong and forgot where i was going with this.

15. oh yeah... heated garage?

16. You never owned a goldfish as a kid? I had beta's(heavy on the plural lol) and even a few light touches can kill them. Imagine what the constant start-stop of a car would do.

17. haha you know you HAD to have been high to come up with something like this. :smoke:

i'd say the main problem is power source and its costs... it wont be worth it. you can make a slot for it and have a portable tank though

18. i do have all that, which is why i know it wont work. Not rubber bushings, you would need it in a gyro set upso it is always level, then you would have to get shocks that are like inertial dampeners which you cant. for the heating system you would have to use like a computer controlled system to run EVERYTHING, like keep the ph balance, run the lights, keep enough o2 in the water, run the gyro and shocks, feed them, control seperate tanks for warm and cold water to regulate tempature and manage filtration. any idea how much room and power that would take? im thinking a bus. were talking a car. still say no

19. Sounds like a retarted idea, retarded arguement...And PimpMyRide beat you to it. So yes it can be done

20. you'd have to always keep the car on for that, as batteries wont last longer than a few hours. a couple hour visit to a buddys house in this cold would kill it.