Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Help me out with my statistics project.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by overheatedmud, Nov 9, 2013.

1. #1 overheatedmud, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
    How long have you been smoking marijuana for and how often do you smoke (like days per week/month)?

The reason I'm asking this is I have to collect some data and analyze the correlation between these two variables for a stats project and this interested me. When I tried to ask students in my school I pretty much only got either everyday or never, so that didn't really help me. I'm posting this in apprentice tokers to hopefully get newer smokers who have only been toking for a couple months.

EDIT: If you could also include how much bud you smoke too that would be great.

2. I've been midnight toker for about 5 1/2 years, I usually smoke daily, and I probably smoke 35grams a month

3. #3 Studley Stoner, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
    Been smoking for nearly 2 years, and I smoke on Friday and Saturday.

4. I have been a pretty much daily smoker (average 6/7 days) for 3 years now. Before that I was an occasional toker for about 2 years.  I usually smoke about a quarter ounce a week

5. Thanks for the replies. How much you smoke actually seems like a better variable for this. Keep the replies coming.

6. I started smoking when I was 16. Smoked multiple times a day every day for about a year

Took a 10 year break to get my life on the right track.

Since 4/20/2013 I have been smoking once a day everyday. idk how many grams i smoke a day, but I usually fill my cyclone bowl on my vaporizer and smoke that much per day. I go through an eighth a month.

7. You obviously have a lot to learn about statistics. Your project will mortally suffer from something called convenience sampling.

8. I started smoking about two and a half years ago. For the past five months or so I've been smoking everyday. Before that it was two or three times a week. I'm currently buying about a 1/2 oz a month, but smoking closer to an O due to being smoked out/matched/etc. 

9. Half a gram, on a friday, every 2 weeks, sometimes weekly.
    Been smoking for about 8 months now.

10. you wont get any accurate statistics through this forum. but i have personally been smoking daily for the last 4 years, no way i could say how much i smoke a day but it's probably around an 8th

11. #11 overheatedmud, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
    I bet I do as I'm only taking a beginner course on it. I'm guessing convenience sampling is something like using only data you want instead of the data you have to achieve a certain result. I asked less than 50 students in my school and either never have smoked or have been smoking for a couple months or more and smoke everyday because the area I live in is full of stoners. For this project I need to give several examples of extrapolation. I don't believe the information I collected would allow me to make any accurate predictions. I'm just trying to get a wider range/more answers because I don't think everybody who has been smoking for 4+ months smokes everyday.

12. I'm your outlier! I have used cannabis for over 46 years. I use it because it PREVENTS my once frequent migraines (from a childhood head trauma). I began using at age 19. In 2000, I "got California legal", and have been a daily user since my first harvest! Since I grow I don't really keep track of how much I use, but I use daily, and several times a day.

Granny

13. #13 .collegekid., Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
    You are on the right track with your interpretation of convenience sampling.
    Also, since you are on a marijuana forum your responses will be very biased as well.

I'm pretty sure that extrapolation from least-squares regression is generally frowned upon, but I
    guess this does not really matter for an intro statistics course.

If never and everyday are the only two possible responses, you will have extreme inaccuracy in your results.

Ideally, you would want a choice for each possible outcome. Then the person could choose from 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 days per week. If you wanted this in times per month, you could estimate it by multiplying your responses by four.

You could also give them a combination of choices like 0 times per week, once per week, three times per week, and seven times per week and tell them to answer whichever they are closest to. This would be more accurate than never and everyday as your responses, but less accurate than having 8 possible responses.

It seems like you are on the right track. Statistics is a field that is very open to interpretation. There is not always a set of exact guidelines for how to design an experiment. Make the choice that seems it will best represent the correct results.

14. You could try 3 "random" samples of ten or fifteen responses each. Each time having a different set of possible responses. Then you would have 3 pools of data (each collected differently) to extrapolate from. I do not think there is any one certain "right" way to do this.

15. I've been smoking regularly for 3 years now, started at 16. I smoke 4-6 times per week, and usually have an average bowl or two of mids to myself in an average sesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not limiting the responses to never and everyday, that's just what I got when I asked people in my school.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do. I guess I just didn't explain it very well.

17. Been smoking daily for almost three years, and I usually only smoke once a night. Generally, I assume I smoke about a quarter a month because I'm fairly good at rationing.

18. For your statistics projects, you can get help from tutorteddy. 

19. I have been smoking for 5 years now. Started probably 1-2 days a week for about 5 months and slowly switched to smoking nightly. Since then, I smoke usually at least once a night, sometimes up to 3 times. I generally smoke probably a little under an Ounce per month.
    Weekends I will usually smoke a little more

20. Consistent smoker for 7 months but started 2 years ago. And I smoke .2g at a time. Usually 7 times a week, sometimes I skip days and sometimes I blaze twice.