Help me out guys

Discussion in 'General' started by cheebaa, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Hey City,

I come to you nervous at this point in my life. In the near future- like next month I will be having knee surgery. Mind you I have never had surgery before- well, I had my tonsils out when I was a little kid, but that was before I can remember.

So my problem is I had this all scheduled out before and I completely chickened out of everything. I canceled the whole thing just 1-1/2 weeks before I was supposed to have it done.

I know, I need to grow up- But it sounds so painful what they will be doing. My knee has kind of grown extra bone (it's about the size of a golf ball) where your patella ligament attatches to your tibia (http://www.200.com/images/knee-diagram.gif). Part of that has chipped off and is floating around underneath that ligament. He will clear out in back of the ligament removing the bone and fluid that has collected. I think he said if he can he is going to remove some of the extra bone where that ligament attatches to as well.

So anyways what I was hoping was to hear your stories of surgery. How'd it go? Were you nervous? Pain?

Edit:: It's the whole fact of being put under that freaks me out.

2. my mom had work done on her hand she was put out she said she woke up during surgey! she was parlized tho but she could hear the docter say to cut harder threw the tenden that be fucked up.

3. Probably not the best thing to tell him. Well, bro, look at it this way. That's their profession, it's their job to make it as easy and painfree as possible. I wish you luck, but in case you DO wake up. This being the worst case scenario, you could sue them for so much you could be livin' easy.

4. I've had a few surgeries when i've been put under..
    one was to suck fluid out of my thigh, another was when i completely smashed up my ankle..
    The pain....dont stress about it, they'll usually give you enough pain medication to make it at least slightly bearable...
    Being put under is scary, its what i've always found the most un-nerving thing about surgery as well.. its not so much when you're going to sleep but it's more when you wake up you have no idea where you are, whats going on and all that. It makes you feel very disorientated..but just ask if you can have someone you know really well (a family member or best friend) with you when you wake up it should make it better.
    You'll be fine dude, don't worry too much about it.

5. MM Well I got my wisdom teeh extracted last year, and I was ok with it, when ig to tere is got really nervous and teary when they injected my arm but when they gave me the nitrous I began to breathedeep and I began to relax, so It wasnt too fun for me but ya make it.

The best advice I can give you is to try to stay relaxed, and focus on something else when they put you under, try some meditation, it might help.

6. I'm guessing if you're asking about the surgery procedure itself you're only going to be under local anesthesia.

i had some shit go down with my knee as a result of all the running and humping with a pack i did in the service. I had bilateral patellafemoral syndrome (PFS) that caused some damage to my quads and i underwent surgery to repair one of them.

The surgery isn't the worse part believe me.. pain medicine has advanced to the point where you can't feel anything. The worse part will be the recovery (crutches blow).

if it's local they'll still give you enough drugs to ensure your state of mind is nice and tranquil.

don't sweat it, and get your weed situation right before your surgery because moving around on a recently operated knee is painful

7. 9 screws and a plate in my ankle, gosh do i love dirtbikes.:)

8. dude, for real, you have an extra bone in your knee, get that shit out of there.

9. broke all the bones in my ankle and sprial fractured my tibia and fib. playing hockey. 4 screws and a plate. the only down side of the entire event was that i had to wear a cast for 3 months

10. yoooo ask them to like give you the golf ball extra bone thing from your knee and then you could sell it on ebay .... :eek:

lmao but dont worry dude it should be fine plus you get painkillers :D

11. more than likely lortab 10's or 7.5's

good shit right there

12. ra bone thing on ebay
    yes and if he does sell the golf ball like extra bone thing on ebay he can buy weed out of the money :hello::hello:

13. ive had surgery three times already. its really not that bad. one assurance is that should you feel any inkling of pain, you'll have a fat prescription of some nice narcotics to put you on cloud nine.

dont worry about it man. its all good

14. oh ya, thats what i meant to say but forgot. the painkillers dude. when i got my wisdom teeth out and had to be put under i was almost excited cause i knew i was going to get a bottle of the cottons which i used sparsley and saved for fun times.

15. this kinda scares me, my kneee has been fucked for years, it looks like the size of 2 marbles not a golf ball. my doctor told me back when i was like 12 or so that it kicks in at puberty in males the most? is this the same desease? its sometimes painful, but usually only when i get wacked with soemthing on my knee

16. Osgood-schlatters disease, yup. I was told this was the problem with my knee for years. Osgood-Schlatters brought on the development of the bone in my knee- pulling that ligament while I was growing up almost caused it to seperate from the tibia- instead by knee formed a bone mass.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/osgood.htm

EDIT:: Thanks for the responses- especially the one about waking up during surgery haha.

17. My dog actually had a similar operation a couple of years back :D

If you are fit and healthy, you should be fine; there is a small element of danger anaesthetising anyone, but obviously, the younger and healthier one is, the lower that risk. Of course, the recovery will be uncomfortable, but not unbearable, and I assume you will be given physiotherapy? An ex colleague of mine also had an operation like that on his foot, and I don't recall him being off work for too long with it.

Don't feel bad about being cautious; this is not an experience anyone would be looking forward to. Personally, I don't like hospitals very much, but I have had 2 general anaesthetics - one for my appendix at age 15, one at about 19, wisdom teeth removal - and countless locals at the dentist and come to no harm at all, bar a slight bit of nausea.